Do you co-sleep because you want to or because you have to

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Just wondering because my daughter will not sleep in her Arms Reach Co-Sleeper anymore- for the past few weeks she only sleeps in bed with me. If I try to put her in the co-sleeper once she's asleep, she wakes up and gets really upset until I put her back into bed with me.

April 23rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
At the beginning it was because it was the only way I could get any sleep, now it's because I want to.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
At first it was because it was because it was the only way I could get him to sleep (and get any sleep myself). Now it feels weird not having him next to me.

April 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
KatiesGirls
Because we want to
April 23rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
In a way I was quite happy when DD insisted on cosleeping. I had done my homework beforehand on safe practice of cosleeping just in case. When she was born she just wouldnt sleep away from me. Took me less than a week to catch on that if I wanted sleep then she was to be next to me.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
April 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Because I want to. I could put her back in the cosleeper, but I'd rather not wake up that much, so I just keep her in the bed.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 23rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
mommabirdof4
We co-sleep because we want too. But with a new little one on the way I am going to see if my little man will take to a co-sleeper. Just got to buy one!
April 23rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
I tried the crib but didn't go well
now... well I want my baby!

I tried the crib but didn't go well
now... well I want my baby!

April 23rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
Choose joy
This time around we're doing it because we want to (or I want to, DH doesn't really have an opinion on it). We side-carred the crib, but she's usually right on the edge of our bed next to me anyway!

With my son co-sleeping kind of found us. I had no idea I would be parenting like this and shunned the idea at first. But then, as time went by I realized the only way I would be sleeping was with him right next to me, so I read up on it and now I really like it. (BTW, he doesn't sleep in our bed anymore, unless he wakes up and comes in during the night).
April 24th, 2009, 04:35 AM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
the midwife told me to bring her in when i was having trouble settling her back to sleep at night. DH always said he wanted to cosleep, but i was dead against it.
now i like having her right there with us, but also she still night wakes so i couldn't imagine having her anywhere else!
xx

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
April 24th, 2009, 07:19 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie-lox View Post
At the beginning it was because it was the only way I could get any sleep, now it's because I want to.
^ Ditto.
April 24th, 2009, 09:21 AM
*Jack'sMommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie-lox View Post
Same here! Jack would not sleep by himself at all when he was a newborn (he was only six pounds and so tiny and helpless) so I took him into bed with me. Then for a while he was sleeping in his carseat or swingseat right next to my bed in his PnP because he had reflux. Around two or three months or so I brought him back into bed with me because my husband was deployed and we both slept so much better that way since I could dreamfeed him when he woke in the night. Now he is still sleeping with me for the same reason and because I'm completley addicted to co-sleeping!

April 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It started because I was waking up constantly to check on her in her bassinet, but when I had her next to me I felt better. Then when she outgrew the bassinet we tried the crib, but she hated it. So we decided to continue bed-sharing as that way everyone gets a lot of sleep!

April 24th, 2009, 11:43 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted to right away but was too scared to for several reasons. I actually could not do it anyway for about 8 weeks as I was stuck downstairs & my only option was to sleep on the couch (a co-sleeping no-no) so I had him sleeping as close to me as I could...but not in bed. I had originally intended to have him sleep in our room until he was 6 months, but by that age we were all happily sleeping in one bed..and basically still are. We side-carred our crib - but sometimes I end up sleeping in it...LOL

If I had to do it all over again AND I didn't need to sleep on the couch, he would be in our bed from day one no doubt. I am really glad I have gained the confidence to know it is good for him & that I will not hurt him by doing so. I didn't know I could co-sleep safely I guess....now I know better.

I wanted to right away but was too scared to for several reasons. I actually could not do it anyway for about 8 weeks as I was stuck downstairs & my only option was to sleep on the couch (a co-sleeping no-no) so I had him sleeping as close to me as I could...but not in bed. I had originally intended to have him sleep in our room until he was 6 months, but by that age we were all happily sleeping in one bed..and basically still are. We side-carred our crib - but sometimes I end up sleeping in it...LOL

If I had to do it all over again AND I didn't need to sleep on the couch, he would be in our bed from day one no doubt. I am really glad I have gained the confidence to know it is good for him & that I will not hurt him by doing so. I didn't know I could co-sleep safely I guess....now I know better.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
Initially because I had to. I was anaemic following the birth and could not walk steady or sit up for very long. Ben would wake up crying as soon as his head touched the moses basket anyway so I expect we would have ended up co-sleeping even if I had been fit.

Now I do it because we all get a lot more sleep with Ben in bed with me than when he is in his side-car cot. I also really like co-sleeping. I worry a lot less about him and it's nice to wake up in the morning to his silly grinning face as he prods me on the nose lol.

The only thing I would change (if I had a magic wand) is his dependency on me to fall alseep. It's a real pain, and a worry, that he just won't sleep at all if anyone else tries to settle him.
April 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't co-sleep but when i do i ADORE IT! Keeping my hand gently on her not only pacifies her but me also...LOL

" \m/ Now I’m riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I’ll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

April 24th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Tofu Bacon
We want to, so it works out that we also have to because of space issues.
April 26th, 2009, 03:27 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We co-sleep because we want to and Hunter likes it.
April 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did it at first (9 years ago) because I was too afraid to let her sleep in her crib or bassinet. Then after I had the other kids, I did it just because we all liked it and still do. Some days when DH is out of town for work, I'm in bed with all 4 kids

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

April 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Because I want to. It's so easy to nurse him when he wakes up every 2-3 hours at night. It also helps me sleep more. I work during the week and it has been a life savor. I would feel so sad if he wasn't next to me at night. Having him in a room down the hall seems way to far.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search