When you are feeling down....

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
mommabirdof4
do you try to hide it from your child?

Today was not a good day...I found out my 16 yr old dog had cancer and I had to make the choice to put him to sleep. I was very upset and still am...I am going to burry him tomorrow at my father's house which will help with the sadness.

When I came home I tried to put on a brave face so my son wouldn't be effected. But is that really the best thing. I mean I know he is way to young to understand but should I hide it from him...my feelings I mean.
April 24th, 2009, 05:47 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Awe! Hugs! I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

I do try to hide when I'm upset from my kids, but it's easier said than done, Phoenix can usually tell and then she gets upset. Lincoln can feel when I'm upset and he becomes upset too.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Tofu Bacon
I'm sorry about your pup

I don't try to hide emoions from my kids because I think its important for them to learn that emotions are okay and normal; we can't help each other through these feelings if we don't know they're being felt, kwim? I don't want them to grow uo feeling like theu need to bottle up their feelings, too.
April 27th, 2009, 01:56 PM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh thats the very worst part of owning dogs, having to make that decision. So sorry.
I do try to smile and interact with mine especially babies alot still when down, but of course they sense it anyway. When they get a little bit older i will offer a breif explanation if possible, like when billy was 2 and we were hit a bit by a death. I explained i was a sad because i missed someone etc...
I do agree that it is normal and healthy for children to see sadness and recovery as part of life. greif is normal, hope you find as many things as possible to brighten your day though and offer some comfort today.
April 29th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Super Mommy
Oh I'm so sorry about your dog!!!

I tend to let dd know how I am feeling, but thats recent. She's 2.5 and perceptive as they come so it works for us for me to share my feelings and let her know that ranges of emotion are okay. It has helped ALOT as I have been insomniac as a preggo person and I am often VERY tired and on occasion quite cranky. I don't want her to question whether or not she is somehow responsible for me being upset. I want her to know that she is in no way responsible for my feelings and really communicate this to her. She seems to get it as she is an incredably happy happy little kid even Mommy is sacked out and cranky as poo!!
April 29th, 2009, 02:33 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
(((HUGS))) I am very sorry about the loss of your dog

I don't hide my feeling from my kids b/c I too think it is important for them to understand that everyone has feelings and it is ok to show them. I know your son is young but you may still want to tell him "Mommy is sad b/c..." and then hug a while.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search