Bed time routines

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2009, 10:54 PM
KatiesGirls
Do you/did you have a routine with your l/o?
April 25th, 2009, 05:27 AM
KimberlyD0
Yes we do. We've had one since Kayla was about 2-3 months old. Karrigan started it at about 3 months.

5pm we have dinner.
6pm bath time
6:30 pm Karrigan has her last feed while we read books and sing songs for both girls.
7pm Bedtime.

Its worked really well for us. Maybe because they've known it since so young. If we don't follow the order, then the entire night is a mess for them both. Its also great because DH and I have the entire night to ourselves because they're down untill 7:30-8am the next day. Its 7:30am now actually and Kayla is playing quietly in her room, and Karrigan is still sleeping.
April 25th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We used to have a long and involved bedtime routine but it has been cut down to not much at all now.

On nights where he has a bath it's bath, pjs, story, sleep. On nights where he doesn't have a bath it's pjs, story, sleep. There is no specific routine between supper time and bedtime, totally varies from evening to the next but it generally involves playing and going for walks.

He has always had a bedtime, from about our second night home from the hospital. We never forced it on him and it has been adjusted over time but I think we all benefited from having a clear time to start winding down and getting ready for bed (and on really rough days bedtime is the prize I keep my eyes on...).
April 25th, 2009, 06:21 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
We have a routine for Lincoln.

*7pm Lincoln has a bath
*read a story
*nurse
*put him in his crib and rub his belly until he is asleep

With Phoenix, she is wonderful at bedtime, she just gets in her PJs and hops in bed, we give her a hug and she goes to sleep.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM
christy1108's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the most part we do. DH works nights, so when he is here, it throws things off. Usually Victoria and I eat dinner at 7, play until 9, then she gets a bath. She plays in my bathroom while I get a quick shower and we go to bed. She nurses to sleep and is usually out in under 10 minutes.

April 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
Yes we do. Ben has a bath at around 7 PM, then we brush his teeth, then I take him upstairs and nurse him until he falls alseep. We've had this routine (except the teeth cleaning bit obviously) since he was about 2-3 weeks old.

Every now and then, I've had to skip the night time routine for various reasons. When I do, it makes absolutely NO difference to how quickly he falls alseep or how long he sleeps for! I honestly don't know why I bother to continue with the routine - I think perhaps the habit is for my benefit more than his LOL. I guess some babies thrive on routine, but Ben doesn't really seem to care either way!
April 25th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sort of. At 7pm I take Lily upstairs and put her in pjs, brush her teeth, wipe down her face, and nurse her. She's usually asleep by 7:30. She gets baths every other night, so those nights we bathe her around 6:30ish.

April 25th, 2009, 04:05 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't have one yet. Our lives aren't very routine to begin with. Dave has his own buisness...so nothing is the same as far as who is home and when. I work(or worked... I am not back to work yet) retail and my hours could be anything between 6am-11pm. We also have 4 teenagers so it depends on them being home also. Soccer will be starting up soon too and that makes nights crazy with practices and games.

I "try" to give Matthew a bath around 9-10pm....every other night we take one together in my tub ...off nights Daddy is in charge of baths. Then we put his jammies on and I nurse him and then he falls asleep around 10ish.

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 25th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Every now and then I think that we ought to get some kind of routine going but it never happens. ATM what we do have works. She gets tired between 6 and 7, when we spot her tired signs it's PJs and bed, usually a boob to go too but not always. Before that happens we have playtime, I thought that maybe she needed some kind of winding down first but there isnt really a need I think. She does sometimes do some winding down in bed, she'll fidget a lot. I dont mind bedtime taking an hour so I just let her do as she likes as long as she is staying pretty much next to me and being fairly relaxed.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
April 25th, 2009, 11:30 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We started a bedtime routine when DD was 4 months old. The time of night has changed... now we go up at 8 pm and she gets a bath (or spit bath every other night), PJs and lotion, then to her room where she drinks a cup of milk while DH or I read a story. We brush DD's teeth, read another story, then turn out the lights and turn on the music. We hold DD until she falls asleep (and she's going on 2 ), which can take 10 minutes to 1.5 hours on a bad night.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

April 26th, 2009, 01:38 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't. I have tried a couple of different times to establish one, but he never took to it & I really wasn't unhappy with our current way of doing things...I just kept hearing how we "should" so I tried.

Right now what basically happens is we go with the flow. We do bed prep early because a bath wakes him up & after bath I want PJ's on...so he may have his PJ's on for hours before bed. He basically has cues as to when he is getting tired & then we wind down a little either with a video cuddled with me on the couch, or a few books, or whatever...and then he will ask for bb's & then I ask him if he is ready for night night & he will say yes or no..and he means it. If i can just wait for a yea it takes 2 mins literally...if I try when it's a no - it can take an hour or more. So I don't waste my time with it. In the end the bedtime never waivers more than an hour or so it seems & I don't need to have a specific time he is going down...so I roll with it. He is usually down between 10:30-11:30 & sleeps until about that time the next day. I think if I were home all day we would try to work a slightly earlier schedule, but I like to have as much time in the evenings with him as possible & so does Dh. We both leave long before he is up & my mom is here when he wakes. I think that is EXTRA nice because I carry him down asleep & lay him on the couch...and she says he wakes up a ball of grins every morning & is chipper pretty much all day. That is NOT what happens when he sees me leave...so I think it is easiest on EVERYONE if he sleeps through me leaving in the morning. Plus I don't care if he sleeps when gramma is here...it's more time for me in the evening!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search