Sleep problems/solutions

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2009, 10:13 PM
KatiesGirls
How did you/do you get through nights where your LO's have problems sleeping? Do you sing songs? Have a special place (ie. your bed, a rocking chair ect.) you spend time with them in? Do you have any help from dh or another family member?

We don't really have any problems here but we probably would if we didn't co-sleep and let Kaylee fall asleep on her own time. Generally, if I lay down with her she usually nurses to sleep and stays asleep around 10 or 11 until morning. On nights where she is up because she is sick or teething, I pretty much just leave my boobs out for her to snack if she needs them and it seems to keep her pretty content.
April 25th, 2009, 02:12 AM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
A typical night for us starts at around 6-7 PM, when we do Ben's night-time routine of bath, brush teeth, change nappy. It finishes with me nursing him to sleep in his side-car cot. He's normally asleep by 8ish on a good night, but he will often wake up 1-2 times before DH & I go to bed. When that happens, I go back upstairs and nurse him back to sleep again. I bring Ben into bed with me at around 11ish when I go to bed. When Ben wakes up in the night, I move him onto my other side and usually he goes straight back to sleep after a couple of mins.

On bad nights, Ben will sometimes wake up during the night but not want to go back to sleep. He'll babble, squeal, rollover etc, so DH goes to sleep in the guest bedroom and I do pretty much what you do Katie: lie there next to him with my boobs out and wait until he gets tired again. Sometimes he's ready to sleep again after just 20 minutes, other nights it takes up to three hours!
April 25th, 2009, 08:55 AM
*Jack'sMommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used to have "issues" with sleeping here, but a change in my attitude made all of the difference in the world. I used to get frustrated thinking that Jack "should" be sleeping through the night, and "should" be going to sleep on his own - because that is what it seemed like every other baby was doing. Once I realized that I was crazy to think that way and I realized that Jack will do that in his own time, our issues disappeared. Jack has been EBF since day one and tons of people tell me that if I give him formula at night he will sleep longer. Well that is just not worth it to me. Jack starts out his night in his PnP in our room and sleep there from about 8pm until midnight at which point he wakes up and I bring him into bed with us. If he has trouble falling asleep I always sing him "On Top of Spaghetti" and nurse him or snuggle him and he will normally fall asleep within about ten minutes or so. He eats every 2-4 hours at night - more recently lately though because he just cut his first bottom tooth and the second is right about to come through so nursing helps him deal with the pain. I never leave him to cry at night or at naptime. He goes to sleep well with my help and I love the snuggle time so much. I don't want him to be an independent sleeper just yet!!

April 25th, 2009, 01:27 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
Hey JacksMommy, I have a photo of Ben in the bath pulling the exact same face as in your avatar! Cute!

For the record, I personally think that formula for sleeping through is not always true, and that it depends more on whether the baby is inclined to be a deep sleeper. Although it's probably true for babies that night-wake because they are hungry, many babies night-wake because they want comfort.

Up until Ben was about 3-4 months old, I'm sure I tried everything, stopping only at cry-it-out techniques, to help Ben learn to sleep through. Some things would seem to make a difference the first time I tried them, then after that they would never work again. I also reckon about half the things I tried were just gimmicks designed to con desperate sleep-deprived mums out of their cash. Some of the rubbish I bought! Makes me cringe just thinking about it, what a sucker I was...
April 25th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We haven't run into any problems really. We did have issues with her not sleeping in her crib, so we just went back to co-sleeping. Most nights she sleeps fine and if she does seem extra fussy I just nurse her back to sleep.

April 25th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do I get through nights when my baby won't sleep??? Toothpicks to hold my eyes open LOL. The problem isn't the night, it's the day after!

Usually if Jonah won't sleep I end up sleeping on the couch in his room. The couch takes up just about the whole room, but I've left it in there for this reason. We can't safely co-sleep because I sleepwalk, but some nights I wish I could. Unfortunately, it's the nights that I'm sleep deprived that I'm more likely to sleepwalk. I went through a period where I didn't sleep walk for a long time, but for whatever reasons it started back up

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 25th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
we do have sleep issues, she is tired, she wants to sleep but she keeps fighting it
if i let her stay up longer the ONLY difference it makes is she wakes up WAY later... it messes up the whole day for us ):
She can take hours going to sleep

we eat, play/cuddle, up, change and get ready, go to bed and nurse cuddle / message (if she wants to) she almost falls asleep, then she starts getting up and tries to get out of bed to play some.. almost asleep.. same thing over and over again

April 25th, 2009, 02:55 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Usually he falls asleep on his own on our bed. When he is having a tough night, the only thing that really works is Daddy walking him around the house...

I am sure as he gets older it will be more challenging

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 25th, 2009, 07:25 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
We're going through a rough patch here, Brayden had been more or less sleeping in 6-8 hour stretches for the last month and a half but this week he's been waking frequently due to teething. I don't know how I would manage if he weren't in our bed. It's not too bad though because he's asleep by 9, we're in bed by 11, and then I'm up with him around 7 (with all the wake ups in between of course ). When he does wake I usually walk him around or rock him...the later it is, the easier it is to get him back to sleep....the closer to dawn it is, the more he wants to play!

April 25th, 2009, 08:09 PM
KatiesGirls
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriel13 View Post
We're going through a rough patch here, Brayden had been more or less sleeping in 6-8 hour stretches for the last month and a half but this week he's been waking frequently due to teething. I don't know how I would manage if he weren't in our bed. It's not too bad though because he's asleep by 9, we're in bed by 11, and then I'm up with him around 7 (with all the wake ups in between of course ). When he does wake I usually walk him around or rock him...the later it is, the easier it is to get him back to sleep....the closer to dawn it is, the more he wants to play!

You have no idea how often DH and I have said that!!!
April 26th, 2009, 01:02 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
How do I get through nights when my baby won't sleep??? Toothpicks to hold my eyes open LOL. The problem isn't the night, it's the day after!

Usually if Jonah won't sleep I end up sleeping on the couch in his room. The couch takes up just about the whole room, but I've left it in there for this reason. We can't safely co-sleep because I sleepwalk, but some nights I wish I could. Unfortunately, it's the nights that I'm sleep deprived that I'm more likely to sleepwalk. I went through a period where I didn't sleep walk for a long time, but for whatever reasons it started back up
Not sure if you are interested, but I have a pressure pad for sleep walking... it is for patients in care (like dementia) but works well for waking you if you are getting up & don't realize it...LOL You can turn it off BEFORE you get up & no alarm sounds..if you don't you get an alert. It gave me SUCH piece of mind.

As to the OP...
I agree that the following day is the tougher part than being up at night. When we have had rough nights we just nurse a lot. Sometimes I have had to get out of bed & take him into the living room & rock him as he won't settle back in while staying in bed. So on those nights after about 5-10 mins of fussy behavior & not settling in to try & nurse, I would just get out of bed with him. In my experience, he is either going to settle within 10 mins or he isn't going to settle for a while & no sense everyone being up. If it took over an hour, and he didn't' seem to want to nurse, I sometimes would wake Dh to do a hand off & let me get an hour of sleep before handing him back...so I could try not to fall asleep on my commute in the morning..ugh. Those nights were rare for us though unless he was sick & when he is sick I just really don't care about sleep.... When he is sick I end up not sleeping even after he falls asleep, because I want to check temp, and listen to him breathe, etc... Don't get me wrong, I have had nights where he wakes me every hour or more..but he usually will settle right back in.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search