I can't get anything done!

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily sleeps in our bed at night and for her naps. She will wake up in her crib almost immediately so it's just not an option right now. I'm fine with her sleeping with us, but I have to be in the bed with her for naps and when she goes down for the night around 7:30pm. If I'm not in the bed with her then she'll sleep, but she'll wake up and start crawling around looking for me. So I'm afraid I won't be there and she'll crawl off the bed and make a run for it somewhere. This means that starting at 7:30 every night I'm tied to the bed. I get so jealous reading posts where parents have some alone time at night after baby goes down, etc. We try to watch movies together or something, but Lily will wake up from all the noise. So, I end up in bed with her while DH is doing stuff in another room.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Does anyone have a solution? I'd just like to have some time with DH (or to clean or something).

April 25th, 2009, 01:35 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
The only reason I am not in the exact same situation you are in yet is because Ben isn't crawling yet, so I can go downstairs once I get him to sleep for the night without worrying about him falling off the bed.

I know a lot of co-sleeping people just sleep on a mattress on the floor once their babies become mobile, and discard (or put away) their bed frame. It's not a great option for me since we have nowhere to store our frame, but maybe it is for you?

My current plan - although I have no idea how well this will work yet - is to use my bedside cot to nurse Ben to sleep into, then carefully push it away from the bed and pull up the side which folds down. This is the bedside cot I use at the moment.
April 25th, 2009, 01:36 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What about a video monitor?

Matthew too will not sleep or nap anywhere but in our bed...but he isn't mobile yet.... so I will look forward to reading the responses

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 25th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IglooWigwam View Post

I know a lot of co-sleeping people just sleep on a mattress on the floor once their babies become mobile, and discard (or put away) their bed frame. It's not a great option for me since we have nowhere to store our frame, but maybe it is for you?

My current plan - although I have no idea how well this will work yet - is to use my bedside cot to nurse Ben to sleep into, then carefully push it away from the bed and pull up the side which folds down. This is the bedside cot I use at the moment.
Our mattress is on the floor, so at least I know she doesn't have a big fall when she crawls around. We had a cot similar to yours that DH made, but with a smaller ledge on the open side (it didn't go all the way up) and she managed to crawl out of it so I don't use it anymore. I think one like yours would have worked better but now she won't even sleep in a pack 'n play or her crib, it has to be the bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bobbie* View Post
What about a video monitor?

Matthew too will not sleep or nap anywhere but in our bed...but he isn't mobile yet.... so I will look forward to reading the responses

Hmm, a video monitor is a good idea

Last edited by Twhylite21; April 25th, 2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
April 25th, 2009, 01:45 PM
KatiesGirls
Have you tried nursing her to sleep in your living room while watching a movie with DH? Maybe you can try keeping her with you?
April 25th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH likes to transfer Jonah to his bed after he falls asleep. We can't just put him in his crib or he'll throw a tantrum, but if I rock him to sleep or get him to sleep in our bed then we can move him very gently. DH puts him to sleep on the couch with lots of cuddles, then transfers him. If Lily is a light sleeper, it might not work. We usually have to wait about 20 minutes after Jonah is asleep, so that he is in his deep sleep before we move him. Otherwise he wakes up as soon as his back hits the mattress.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 25th, 2009, 10:26 PM
It has helped me to warm up the bed with a heating pad before transfering DD there. She would stir a bit but be lulled back to sleep with the comfort of the warm bed.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
April 26th, 2009, 12:52 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All of these are excellent suggestions. For ages Jonah slept on the couch until we were ready to go to bed...that way I could easily answer his stirrings without him fully waking and we could get in a movie or some down time. He does go to bed later though & for us that works...for others I know it doesn't. He sleeps better when he goes down later..when he had an earlier time, he NEVER slept soundly. I also don't know if some of that transition might have also taken place at an age where he was transitioning into a deeper sleep pattern too though - sometimes it is hard to know what to credit any behavior to sometimes...LOL

To sum it up - after all I learned having Jonah - if I were to have another baby that wasn't a great sleeper I would nurse to sleep, leave him/her on the couch UNTIL I wanted to go to bed & I would warm the bed ahead of time (we used towels from the drier to warm ours) and I would invest in a video monitor & some great bed rails. LOL I am serious though - just sound funny to have such a HUGE plan already....for a child I don't even have...

Oh & I am not sure how everyone's couch works for this. Our couch is retro 60's-ish, with thin cushion & no fluff..so I can lay him down & put a rolled up blankie UNDER the cushion & it tips it like a wedge, so even when he was rolling, he couldn't roll off, so I felt fine to leave him to grab a drink or to go to the bathroom, or even be out of the room for a few minutes (as long as I was close enough to hear. On our old huge, pillowed, fluffy couch I am not sure it would have worked. In a pinch I have put him on several blankets on the floor & had it work almost as good - so that is an option if the couch isn't a good one for this application.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 26th, 2009, 08:46 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post
It has helped me to warm up the bed with a heating pad before transfering DD there. She would stir a bit but be lulled back to sleep with the comfort of the warm bed.

What a GOOD idea! I will have to remember that one. I am sure a towel placed in the dryer and then laid on the bed for a minute would work too.

LOL nevermind I read Beckie's post after I wrote that

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 26th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the great ideas! I'm going to try to leave her downstairs with us where I can see her if she fusses and then bring her up to bed when we come up and use the warm towel/blanket trick!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search