Going against the grain

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
It seems like a lot of aspects of AP are going against the grain. Do you feel like you are always having to explain your reasons to everyone about why you do what you do? What are some things people seem to have a problem with? Does it bother you at all?

April 26th, 2009, 02:59 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I think we have just been so cultured to believe certain things that it does get a little annoying some of the comments...but I think now I can deflect it fine. I tend to have a nature where I think if I just explain it people will understand...LOL...I think I am getting over that quickly with parenting.

The biggest two people seem to have a hard time digesting is the co-sleeping & the nursing, both of which they are sure are killing my marriage... whatever. They clearly don't know us then.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 26th, 2009, 08:32 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
It seems like a lot of aspects of AP are going against the grain. Do you feel like you are always having to explain your reasons to everyone about why you do what you do? What are some things people seem to have a problem with? Does it bother you at all?
I think it's funny but because we do have to "justify" our choices, I hope the thread Handling criticism (Handling Criticism) helps our members.
April 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't felt that way too often. Usually it is just the co-sleeping I have to defend. I am sure as he gets older I will feel like I have to defend my parenting more often...but I am ready! It's my life and my kid....and I am not a quiet person.

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

April 26th, 2009, 11:14 AM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had to defend co-sleeping, rocking to sleep, having DD ride rear-facing in the car, and even disciplining gently It is such a shame that others feels entitled to tell people how to raise their children.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

April 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
KatiesGirls
Our family and friends pretty much know how we roll and they seem to all be cool with it these days. It was difficult when we were just starting out as a new couple *and* new parents a year later. Everyone wanted to give advice and know how we were doing everything. I felt like a broken record with the same raised eyebrow questions we would get.

Only my sister has asked me questions this time around but that's more because we talk about everything and she was genuinely curious.

How are things going for you Melissa? Are you getting a lot of prying questions?
April 26th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Veteran
Anytime I.m talking about the co-sleeping, I feel I need to follow it up with "I know its probably not a good idea but....", I keep telling myself to stop doing it, all I know is my dd seems super happy and I wouldn't change a thing

Thanks Mary for the amazing PR Siggy

Thanks MamaLacey for the wonderful siggy!

April 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
At this point I have to defend my co sleeping the most, and that I EBF at 8 months. I am always being told that I am going to have a hard time getting Lincoln out of our bed and getting him off the boob. I don't understand why people care anyways, it's not their kid and it isn't their problem.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
April 26th, 2009, 03:37 PM
KatiesGirls
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2preemie View Post
Anytime I.m talking about the co-sleeping, I feel I need to follow it up with "I know its probably not a good idea but....", I keep telling myself to stop doing it, all I know is my dd seems super happy and I wouldn't change a thing

You are doing yourself and your baby a GREAT service by listening to your instincts!! Here is a site that I think explains all of the benefits of co-sleeping really well. I hope you can read it and find comfort and confidence in your decisions! Michelle also made an awesome thread all about bed sharing and co-sleeping and you can find it here (Bed Sharing 101).
April 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't feel like I have to defend anything. Everyone knows how I am and how I parent, and after 4 children, they've learned to just accept it and keep their mouths shut. I do get smart a $$ remarks about BFing and co-sleeping, but nothing that I need to defend.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

April 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I try not to feel like I have to defend any of my choices, but there are times I face some criticism and I find myself making excuses.
I get a lot of comments about breastfeeding, mostly breastfeeding a toddler. I also get some comments about co-sleeping or holding/wearing Anna a lot. Most of it doesn't bother me, but occasionally I do let it get to me, because I hate when people can't see things the same way I do.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 27th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksGirls View Post
Our family and friends pretty much know how we roll and they seem to all be cool with it these days. It was difficult when we were just starting out as a new couple *and* new parents a year later. Everyone wanted to give advice and know how we were doing everything. I felt like a broken record with the same raised eyebrow questions we would get.

Only my sister has asked me questions this time around but that's more because we talk about everything and she was genuinely curious.

How are things going for you Melissa? Are you getting a lot of prying questions?
Yes! It seems like everyone I talk to has advice on how to be a "better" parent. It's really annoying.

April 27th, 2009, 01:53 AM
KatiesGirls
It does get easier over time! Hang in there. They will leave you alone eventually.
April 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Against the grain?? Nah, we're perfectly normal over here!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Super Mommy
If someone asks me a question about why I parent the way I do (EBF'ing, co-sleeping), I feel that they are generally asking to because they are curious, then I will try to explain and educate them on why we do what we do.

If I feel they are being rude/smart a@@ or seeming to thumb their nose at what we do...I usually have some blistering comments.

I worked p/t once in a children's clothing store to get the discounts and I had one of the ladies there say that my child is too old to be bf'ing (he was a year and half) and that I should put him on cows milk as it's better for him. I just answered that cows milk was made for cows, why would it be better for my child than mommies milk? She thought about it for a second and never mentioned it again.

CIM 04/18/05 & OTM 02/19/09

April 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Super Mommy
Wow - double post

CIM 04/18/05 & OTM 02/19/09

Last edited by Isca; April 27th, 2009 at 07:49 PM. Reason: double post
April 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isca View Post
I just answered that cows milk was made for cows, why would it be better for my child than mommies milk? She thought about it for a second and never mentioned it again.
The old me used to say that at one year children should be given cow's milk because it's better for them. The old me was pretty ignorant. Someone here on JM, on the debate boards said the same exact thing to me and it really stuck. Look at me today LOL I say that exact same thing to mommies now, an it is usually the one phrase that at least gets them to consider breastfeeding.

I just thought I'd share that story. Keep telling people that because it really does make them think!!! Sorry to go off topic

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
April 27th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I get some comments about co-sleeping but that's it. Oh, my SIL said I was spoiling Lily the other day because I was holding her while she slept instead of putting her down. But we were at SIL's house and it wasn't baby proofed well. And if Lily woke up from wherever I put her then she'd just start crawling to find me and I didn't want her finding something on the floor or whatever.

April 28th, 2009, 06:18 AM
LindseyMarie's Avatar Professionally Awesome
Send a message via AIM to LindseyMarie
We got it a lot the first year, but it lessened a lot after that-- The co-sleeping ("how on earth do you sleep?", "Is your husband OK with it?!"), babywearing (the "surely that hurts your back!"), the works. You learn to just smile and say IT WORKS FOR US!

After years of trying, 2 years of fertility meds, multiple surgeries, blood draws and needle sticks, some awful pre-IVF complications, and endometriosis and PCOS,
We are done TTC. Praying for peace as we accept this...
Hoping for some comfort after our most recent (and 3rd) surgery and starting Lupron!

April 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
All the time. I am constantly hearing: (*them-referring to any one of my kids)
-you'll never get them out of your bed
-you hold them too much
-you need to let that baby cry it's good for them
-you'll spoil them
-isn't it about time for real milk?
-you need to spank his butt (my 1 year old - ummm yeah right)

the list goes on. I don't even defend myself anymore - I just get rude and say 'who asked you'. I'm so sick of it.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search