Sleeping through the night

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2009, 04:35 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have mentioned here that Ian slept through from a very early age (Billy was the opposite). Awhile back Beck mentioned that he couldnt really be sleeping through as all babies and even adults have sleep wake rythyms. Well a few nights after that I had some trouble sleeping myself and was awake most of the night. A few times Ian stirred, and I gently laid a hand on him and he went right back to sleep as usual, but here is what surprised me: A few more times in the night, he woke reached over and laid a hand on me, and went right back to sleep! So what I am taking for sleeping through is just being able to sleep without eating for awhile, and go back to sleep knowing I am there. If it hadnt been for Beck's post though, I doubt I would have noticed it.
I woke Ian up for feeding the first few months though as he was 3 weeks early, very very jaundiced and was difficult to wake and get him to eat. A midiwfe actually advised me to only allow him to eat every 4 hours in the day, and not to wake him if he slept through at night, but he barely missed being readmitted to hospital for jaundice and weight loss as it was! We also had a few apnea episodes. I would view sleeping through the night very young as a cause for worry rather then celebration.
I know there is so much pressure for parents to have babies sleeping through early, but no matter what anyone claims, it isnt the normal sleep patterns for babies. In most cultures babies sleep with parents, wake and nurse fequently at night, and have far less, if any sids etc...
I find co sleeping helps because it keeps me from being as sleep deprived during these stages, but it does go by quickly, too quickly I think.
Its also worth noting that researchers have found that many adults who think their babies have slept through the night have just learned to tune out and ignore the crying, or the child learns not to cry as he knows no one will help him anyway, but that doesnt prevent him being flooded with stress hormones.
CIO doesnt teach a child to sleep through the night. If there was a magical cure to make everyone sleep all night it would be worth a fortune to adult insomniacs. It only helps parents sleep through.
April 30th, 2009, 06:40 AM
mommabirdof4
Lil Jimmy will do the same thing...he reaches out at night to touch either me or DH. Sometimes I wake up and he has one hand on me and one on my husband. My husband had eye surgery this past weekend and has been sleeping on the couch due to taking meds and it not being safe in bed with us so lil Jimmy didn't sleep very well the first couple of nights.

I also wake many times during the night to check on him and I will put my hand on him if he is fussy and he settles back down.
April 30th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have woken up to find Oliver reaching out to touch my face in the night. It's very sweet. Before having him I never slep through the night. I have always been one to wake up at least one time to use the bathroom and sometimes 2-3 times. Oliver nurses usually every 2-3hours at night time. It helps so much to have him next to me. It helps to keep us both rested.
April 30th, 2009, 12:48 PM
KatiesGirls
Even though she nurses a couple of times, I still consider it sleeping through the night. I am usually half asleep while feeding her at those times anyway
April 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say that DD STTN, but she really doesn't if you think about it. She usually goes to sleep between 8-9 pm and then wakes up to nurse between 11 and 12, but I am usually still awake, so I don't think of it as waking during the night. And she also usually wakes early in the morning (5-6am) and nurses and goes back to sleep until I am ready to get up for the day (usually around 9). And there are times when she starts to fuss a bit but I just reach over and give her paci back and she falls right back asleep. So when i say STTN, I really mean she sleeps for 5-6hrs. in a row at night.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search