Topic of the week - Orgins of Attachment parenting

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2009, 08:08 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK this could definately go a good few weeks, but for this week I thought we would focus on Dr Sears and modern attachment parenting or how it all got started. Here's what I have, anyone else, please add what you can
In 1983 Dr sears wrote: Creative Parenting: How to Use the New Continuum Concept to Raise Children Successfully from Birth Through Adolescence . I am fortunate enough to have a copy and found it quite interesting because its before Dr Sears knew about baby slings, coined the word ap etc...
But its pretty obvioous even then Dr Sears was influenced a great deal by a couple of sources. Liedloff's work :
The Liedloff Continuum Network - Home Page
And I would highly reccomend everyone read her book and Bowlby's attachment theory. Now Bowlby was ahead of his time in my book.
In the early 50's he was writing about breastmilk being more complete and perfect than any scientific formula, and aslo wrote that Mothers should rely on their own natural tenderness and instinct for the baby.
A brief article on attachment theory:
Attachment theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To be continued Ian is awake
May 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
KatiesGirls
I'm really excited about this! We're heading to a family bbq today but I will check it out when I get home!
May 2nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK Ian is asleep again
At anyrate When Dr sears coined the term AP is isnt like he suddenly created Attachment parenting, as I've always said attachment parenting is as old as the human race, its just that our instincts have been buried for a bit under expert advice.
I know new ideas about childcare and more natural parenting began to resurface in the 60's although possibly primarily among the hippy set. Joseph Chilton Pierce's book, The Magical Child (1977) also would have soem things in common with ap, if a bit too new age for my tastes, its still worth the read.
I think alot of factors played a role, women beginning to regain some degree of control in birth, at least in some cases, some resurrgence of breastfeeding and a general challenging of the status quo, or questioning authority. For many with very anti authority views, becoming an authority figure must have been a difficult concept as well.
But in my humble opinion, one of the biggest factors in encouraging a return to natural parenting were the sociologists and cultural anthropologists scrambling to record the lifestyles of the last remaining hunter gathers etc.. while they still existed. They returned with a very different concept of what babies were like. Anthropoligists began to question why non western babies developed faster, cried less and did not suffer from things like colic and sids.
One of these was Jean Liedloff whose book so obviously influenced Dr Sears.
Another book detailing infancy in other cultures is "Our Babies, Ourselves" by Meredith Small, another book i wholeheartedly reccomend.
Parenting babies in different cultures
Our Babies, Ourselves
Closeness and Dependency - The Natural Child Project

I think modern AP basically eveolved from
1 An extension of the natural childbirth movement
2 Natural parenting which started in the 60's to the best of my knowledge
3 Attachment theory
4 Study of other cultures / cultural anthropology, sociology, ethnopediatrics

each of these could easily make a weks discussion in their own right, but can anyone add to these? any other ideas you think may have helped spark the idea of AP?
Has anyone else read any books with AP like ideas before the Sears books, or have any background info?
Finally how about all those women who just went with their hearts and raised children as ap as possible, long before it became a special parenting style?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search