Question about API leaders...please read!

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM
mommabirdof4
Okay...I have been thinking long and hard about becoming an Attachement Pareting International leader. I have a lot more required reading and things to do before I can apply(plus your oldest child has to be 18 months...so I have 7 more months before I come to that) but I have a question for you gals. Please be honest with me.

How would you feel about a momma who didn't Breastfeed her children being a leader??

There is a very long and painful story behind why I was un-successful in BFing my son...so I won't go into that.

Now I plan on giving everything I have to try to BF my daughter but it may end up the same way...only time will tell.
May 4th, 2009, 12:11 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally might wonder why a AP leader did not BF but I am just nosy. I would NOTlook down on you b/c you did not.

Honestly you could use your story (if you feel ok sharing it) as a way to let others know you don't have to fit AP 100% to be an AP parent. And since BF is so personal and, IMO, so emotional your story could help so many women who have the pain and guilt of not being able to BF their children.

May 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I dont think that breastfeeding is a requirement. Esp. since you tried but it did not work out for you. It actually might be helpful for some to know that someone has struggled with breastfeeding and that it still didnt work out. If a mother had just outright decided not to even try and to bottle feed since it's "easier" I might question their intentions.

I'm sorry that you had to go through a hardship when you tried to breastfeed your son. I know that if breastfeeding hadnt worked out for me I would have been so heartbroken. I hope it works out with your daughter.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
May 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not quite sure what an API leader does, but I cant see not breastfeeding making a difference. As mentioned, it might actually help other women who have had problems with bf.
If Billy had been my first I would have given up bf'ing by 2 weeks and never tried again! Its just lucky in my case the most difficult time with bf'ing came after I already knew all the benefits and had 100% confidence I could do it, just had to get past some obstacles on the way.
Sorry you had trouble the first time around and hope things go batter next time and you get all the support you can to help you.
May 4th, 2009, 02:20 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
Agree with previous posts. It could put you in a good position to help other mothers with breastfeeding guilt.
May 4th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy

I've never heard of API, do they have a website?

Expecting baby #4!

May 4th, 2009, 07:41 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
honestly I'm not sure how comfortable I would be, especially when it came to breastfeeding issues. I think once you explain WHY you didn't breastfeed it would be different.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 4th, 2009, 08:14 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I would not judge you for not being able to breastfeed. Breastfeeding is not supported by society and the medical community. There is true breastfeeding grief that needs to be recognized and supported in order to help pp moms continue on. No mom should be left feeling like they have no one who understands. If you had any of those things happen, you truly can help moms like that too at a level they will respect. Don't let not being able to breastfeed to hinder your AP strengths. I strongly encourage you to become a leader since you feel strongly about AP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nktigger99 View Post
Now I plan on giving everything I have to try to BF my daughter but it may end up the same way...only time will tell.
If you ever need help or support, please let us know. I'm sure you've nitpicked this over and over though so if you can't breastfeed for those reasons, again we won't judge you.

There is a weaning board here. I've thought (since it's not busy) that it would be a great place for a leader to become host, and start true breastfeeding grief support. I just wanted to throw that at you because I know some of the girls from the ff/bf debates had interest but we just didn't have the right person to host. (I've had a successful run so I just don't have the credibilty.)
May 4th, 2009, 11:03 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *TheyCallMeMommy* View Post
I personally might wonder why a AP leader did not BF but I am just nosy. I would NOTlook down on you b/c you did not.

Honestly you could use your story (if you feel ok sharing it) as a way to let others know you don't have to fit AP 100% to be an AP parent. And since BF is so personal and, IMO, so emotional your story could help so many women who have the pain and guilt of not being able to BF their children.
I 100 % agree with this. i do not think anyone would judge you for not BFing. Good luck!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search