Nothing but BM at night..is it enough?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Now that Noelia is a year old Im starting to worry about how much she heats and I was wondering if this sounds ok:

11am she gets up (she has been nursing on and off in bed until this point)

Mid day:She nurses

1:30pm:She has a bowl of organic mixed veggie puree.

3:30pm:She nurses to sleep.

5pm:She wakes up and nurses a little

6:30pm:She has an organic fruit medley puree.

8pm:She snacks bits and peices of what we are eating for dinner.

10pm:She nurses as I dry her after her bath (yes,we know how to do that! lol),or as we bathe if I co-bathe that night.

10:30pm:She sometimes has cereal but is starting to refuse it.

11:15pm,she nurses to sleep.If she wakes up during the night,we nurse in bed on and off until she wakes up at 11am.

What Im wondering is,is my BM enough for her before bed? Her last big "meal" is the fruit puree at 6:30pm,then she snacks at 8pm (little bits here and there) and then nurses to sleep before bed.She used to like her cereal but now she isnt wanting it and Im scared that just BM means that she goes to bed hungry?
She nurses for a LONG time before bed,and then again during the night.Is that enough? Should I be looking for something other than cereal to give her instead of BFing and hoping its enough?

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

May 4th, 2009, 07:13 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Is she interested in table food at all? Like dry cereals, veggies or fruits she can pick up herself, cheese cubes, anything at all like that. I mean she is just a year right? So she doesn't HAVE to eat more but I personally feel like around this age they are wanting to make more of a transition into finger foods and more independence. Maybe try some things with her other foods if you are concerned.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

May 4th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Logan has almost the exact same schedule except that he doesn't really eat purees anymore. Though I've been thinking about starting a veggie puree because he doesn't eat veggies very well. Maybe just start trying her on some Cheerios or Gerber Puffs after her puree at breakfast? Do you think she'd eat some fruit cut up into little pieces? Logan LOVES bananas, grapes, strawberries, and canned peaches.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
May 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Since she is one, I would be trying to get her more interested in table food. I *think* once they get to one, BM/Formula is not enough for their diet but I am not positive. I would start feeding her at the same times that you eat to get her eating more. Good luck. I know it is a huge transition for them once they turn one.

May 4th, 2009, 10:39 PM
KatiesGirls
I think as long as her weight is healthy and she is happy and content with just BM before bed then I wouldn't worry about it! Your concern is what makes you a wonderful mommy Keep up the great work!
May 4th, 2009, 11:53 PM
My gut feeling is that if she seems satisfied then it is enough. My daughter has her last solids at around 15 and then goes to bed around 18. Those afternoon solids are usually just some fruit. I havent wanted to give her a meal later because I wanted to be able to nurse her to sleep. Lately DP has been having better luck getting her to sleep so sometimes her last nursing session has been at 17ish. On those nights she still sleeps until around midnight before waking to feed.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
May 5th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *.Sarah.* View Post
Since she is one, I would be trying to get her more interested in table food.
Oh she loves table food.I can give her table food as snacks etc,but I dont give it to her as a full meal yet because I know she couldent sit and eat that much of it kwim? Thats why Im still making her purees,because she gets medleys of all kinds of veggies and she eats it all (I feed her),which makes me feel better lol.
After her puree,I always let her eat some of what Im eating too,but its really only to top her off by then.

Im still hesitant to give her most things though,because Im scared she´ll choke until her molars come through,so as a rule,we use table foods as light snacks for her.

Im just a little paranoid about her not wanting cereal anymore kwim? But if she wants to BF and seems fine with that alone,then at this point Im not sure what it is that I can do.I was just wondering if thats ok kwim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post
I havent wanted to give her a meal later because I wanted to be able to nurse her to sleep..
Thats what Im going through! lol
I nurse her after her bath (which she loves) and then I used to give her 4oz of cereal after that,but that made nursing her to sleep an hour later a little awkward because she was full.She´d cry because she was tired and wanted to nurse,but once I get my letdown and milk comes out,she pulls off and gets angry.

So shes started cutting out the cereal..she refuses to eat it.That way she can nurse for as long as it takes her to fall asleep and she sleeps alot better that way too.
I guess I´ll just follow her cues and do what she needs me to do

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

Last edited by Gina1978; May 5th, 2009 at 05:02 AM.
May 5th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina1978 View Post
Oh she loves table food.I can give her table food as snacks etc,but I dont give it to her as a full meal yet because I know she couldent sit and eat that much of it kwim? Thats why Im still making her purees,because she gets medleys of all kinds of veggies and she eats it all (I feed her),which makes me feel better lol.
After her puree,I always let her eat some of what Im eating too,but its really only to top her off by then.

Im still hesitant to give her most things though,because Im scared she´ll choke until her molars come through,so as a rule,we use table foods as light snacks for her.

Im just a little paranoid about her not wanting cereal anymore kwim? But if she wants to BF and seems fine with that alone,then at this point Im not sure what it is that I can do.I was just wondering if thats ok kwim?

I nurse her after her bath (which she loves) and then I used to give her 4oz of cereal after that,but that made nursing her to sleep an hour later a little awkward because she was full.She´d cry because she was tired and wanted to nurse,but once I get my letdown and milk comes out,she pulls off and gets angry.

So shes started cutting out the cereal..she refuses to eat it.That way she can nurse for as long as it takes her to fall asleep and she sleeps alot better that way too.
Sounds like smart Noelia figured that if she fills up on cereal then she cant fit in any yummy breastmilk. Btw my experience has been that babies are quite efficient at chewing food with their gums. I was giving fingerfood to my girl before she had any teeth (she only started getting them last month lol). She can chew down dry bread and seems to have the smarts not to put too much into her mouth at a time (or if she does she pulls some out). I watched her like a hawk the first several times and still watch her really closely.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
May 5th, 2009, 07:00 AM
mommabirdof4
If she is happy and healthy I would just follow her cues. My son is almost 11 months and if we are lucky he will take around 4 oz of pureed food a day. He isn't into finger food even though it is offered a lot to him...he just plays with it.

People love to say that he has to be hungry but the kid weighs 23 pounds...I don't think he is starving...lol plus he is walking...woohoo!
May 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
KatiesGirls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina1978 View Post

I agree that she has probably figured it out too! She's like come on Momma! Gimme the good stuff!!
May 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Super Mommy
What they said!!!!

How about trying Brown rice or Quinoa or some other actual cooked grain instead of the cereal? Its really palatable,healthy and easy to gum up. We never used cereals after Avery had a terrible experience with constipation. I think we used whole grains from about 8 months or so.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search