Swine Flu and BF

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2009, 11:18 AM
KatiesGirls
A member of my PR just posted this Swine Flu and Breastfeeding - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana |

Swine Flu and Breastfeeding
Posted: May 6, 2009 05:42 AM
Updated: May 6, 2009 08:59 AM

By Britney Glaser - bio | email
LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - As the CDC continues to monitor the swine flu outbreak, health officials are zeroing in on how to protect the most vulnerable population - infants. In this Healthcast, we find out why breastfeeding is being recommended as a critical strategy to prevent infection.
Doting first-time parents, Rob and Rikki Emanuel want to do whatever they can to keep their ten-week-old daughter, Eliza, healthy. When faced with the decision over whether or not to breast feed Eliza, Rikki says looking into the benefits of breast milk made it an easy choice. "Immunity for the baby, as far as them not being able to defend themselves from colds and the fact that you pass that on to them," says Rikki.
This immunity has health officials stepping up to say with the current swine flu outbreak, mothers that can breast feed their infants should. Lake Charles Memorial Hospital Registered Nurse and Lactation Consultant, Marta Benglis says, "A mother's body makes immunities for the baby, so antibodies are actually formed in the mother's body by everything that she is exposed to - so she transfers those immunities to the baby."
Benglis says not only is the breast milk full of disease-fighting cells and antibodies, but it also contributes to marked improvements for children as they grow older. "The baby's IQ is higher once they get to be school age," says Benglis, "and they get sick less often - so less problems with respiratory illnesses and allergies and stomach problems."
The Centers for Disease Control is also urging parents to remember to protect their babies in the same way they protect themselves - especially by keeping their hands, that often times end up in their mouths, clean! "I'm washing hands more often," says Rikki, "just kind of being aware of if anybody seems to be sick, just being extra cautious. It's the best thing you can do for them."
CDC guidance recommends that if a mother is ill, she should continue breastfeeding and increase feeding frequency. Women can continue to breast feed while receiving anti-viral medications.

I have been wondering about health risks during this whole swine flu thing, and especially worried about Kaylee. Reading this made my heart soar.

Last edited by KatiesGirls; May 6th, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
May 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
thats a brilliant read!! thanks for sharing!

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
May 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing!!!! My sis's baby was just hospitalized with the regular flu and EVERY doctor she came in contact with was VERY VERY adamant that BFing was clearly keeping the baby(5 Weeks) from getting sicker.
May 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Great article! I have actually been thinking about this and wondering about it! Thanks for posting!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

May 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
"A mother's body makes immunities for the baby, so antibodies are actually formed in the mother's body by everything that she is exposed to - so she transfers those immunities to the baby."

Nature is so clever!
May 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Woohoo for BFing! I'm so glad that I BF!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
May 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love it when I read such positive things about breastfeeding. I know a lot of women stop breastfeeding because they are sick and afraid that they will pass on the illness to the child, when in fact the opposite happens. I wish that doctors would go over this point alone with mothers. Thank you for sharing!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search