Boobs

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
KatiesGirls
This is completely random but... Why is it that we have breasts before we ever have milk? Even cows have just nipples before they have babies and their milk comes in... Do you think that the desire for a bigger bosom is something that helped us 'evolve' that way? What do you think?

May 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
KimberlyD0
Because from the dawn of time breast were a way to attract a mate. Same as large bums and hips. In some cultures they still look for that.

Larger hips and bums is seen in these cultures, and back in time, as a sign of great fertility. Larger busts a sign of a women who could readily feed a child.
May 6th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Normally having breasts is a sign of an animal not being fertile (ie. nursing young). As such, that female animal is not usually attractive to males of the species. Humans are different in that raising offspring ideally requires two parents and human offspring take so long to be self-sufficient that a woman is somewhat limited in how many she has. So in order to keep her 'man' interested female women keep their breasts all the time to keep men guessing whether or not they're fertile, and so keep their man from straying while they're not fertile. Obviously this was an evolutionary trick that no longer serves its original purpose.

That's the theory I've read anyway. There may be others.

May 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Super Mommy
holy cow is this going to be a funny conversation!!!!
May 6th, 2009, 06:19 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoostergirl View Post
Normally having breasts is a sign of an animal not being fertile (ie. nursing young). As such, that female animal is not usually attractive to males of the species. Humans are different in that raising offspring ideally requires two parents and human offspring take so long to be self-sufficient that a woman is somewhat limited in how many she has. So in order to keep her 'man' interested female women keep their breasts all the time to keep men guessing whether or not they're fertile, and so keep their man from straying while they're not fertile. Obviously this was an evolutionary trick that no longer serves its original purpose.

That's the theory I've read anyway. There may be others.
I agree with this!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
May 6th, 2009, 07:23 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Did someone say (.Y.) boobies?
May 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow... I'm with Michelle.. I saw the word Boobs and just had to click! The first thread I opened LOL

I really have nothing to add.. just that I do appreciate that I have boobs even when I am not producing milk.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow... I'm with Michelle.. I saw the word Boobs and just had to click! The first thread I opened LOL

I really have nothing to add.. just that I do appreciate that I have boobs even when I am not producing milk.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 6th, 2009, 11:14 PM
KatiesGirls
No really. If they are meant purely for attracting a mate, then how come some of us are smaller chested?
May 7th, 2009, 08:16 AM
*Jack'sMommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just have to say that I totally laughed at the thought of being 100% flat with just these little nipples and then suddenly sprouting my 34D's the moment I got pregnant.

May 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
KatiesGirls
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jack'sMommy* View Post
I just have to say that I totally laughed at the thought of being 100% flat with just these little nipples and then suddenly sprouting my 34D's the moment I got pregnant.
Man that sounds painful
May 7th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read a VERY intersting book about BFing whilst I was pregnant (it was one of those short paperback ones kwim?) and our boobs are actually not designed to attract the oposite sex because they were never meant to be sexual in the first place.
Aparantly,the fat inside our breasts is simply to protect the mamary glands that are underneath it...just a hair is to protect your head kwim? Some people have more fat,other have less (hense the huge variety of sizes and shapes),but boobs are simply fatty protusions that are designed to feed babys.

They dont look like they do to atract anyone else but a baby..thats why the areolas are darker than the rest of the skin.So that a small baby can see a clear "bullseye" lol.
The whole design and purpose has nothing to do with atracting a male at all

I DID read that hundreds of years ago,men prefered their women with bigger "child bearing" hips,because it was a sign of fertility.The bigger the hips,the more fertile she was.
I dont see how having boobs could ever mean that a woman was fertile...babys dont grow in our chest! lol.The hip theory seems more logical to me (although its totally false).

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

May 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i dont know... interesting topic! but i dont like my boobs much when im NOT producing milk anymore! completely deflated balloons.. small balloons at that...

~Em

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search