Mei Tai Question!!

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay...I've only really used a Baby Bjorn and I'm contemplating getting a carrier for my 13-month old now that he's outgrown the Bjorn. How easy is it to put on a Mei Tai? I've seen diagrams, but I'm still skeptical! And are they really comfortable enough to wear for a few hours?

Thanks, girls!

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
May 9th, 2009, 11:44 PM
KatiesGirls
Good question! I don't have one of these myself, but I am curious to see what everyone's opinions are. I know I can carry Kaylee in the Moby for a couple hours if I need to.
May 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
I think its very very easy!

front carry
YouTube - how to put on a mei tai

back carry (which I use with my 14 month old)
YouTube - Mei Tai- Back carry

May 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
Oh, also to add.. I wear mine for maybe an hour or two and have no issues.. Even while 7 months pregnant!

May 10th, 2009, 07:52 AM
mommabirdof4
I have a buckle tai....just like a mai tai but you have buckle instead of tieing it which works for me better. I never could get a regular tied right with out taking forever.

I could wear my son for hours...and he was always a big baby...he hit 25 pounds at 7 months...plus I was preggo.
May 10th, 2009, 08:12 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was able to wear my 2-year-old for 8 hours a day 2 days in a row when we went to Sea World and although it wore me out faster, I never had any discomfort. I used the back carry with a Sachi mei tai. I prefer the santa toss for getting him on.

Here's a video that I made a while back:
DropShots.com

May 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I feel my mei tai is very comfortable. I've worn it for about 3 hours straight without any discomfort. I think it's also simple to put on, I didn't have any trouble the first time.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

May 10th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Echoing the rest, I have no problem with my girl in a mei tai for few hours. It is her who wants to get out every now and then and play. When you look into one just make sure to get comfortable straps. They should be wide enough and either padded nicely or a fabric you can spread over your shoulders.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
May 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
I could wear mine for hours. I also wore my daughter in one through most of my last pregnancy with no problems. In my opinion, MT's are very easy to put on. It's the only type of carrier I myself can wear comfortably after my kids hit 20 lbs. (my son is now 24.5 lbs).
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

May 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a Moby Wrap girl so far.... I ADORE my Moby's.... but Dave said I could order a BabyHawk Mei Tai for Mother's day! I haven't gotten it yet(placed the order last night) but will be sure to respond once I have worn it for a couple days. I know when learning to wrap my Moby it just took time to learn. After 4-5 days in Disney with a 7 week old.... I was a pro by the time I got home.... hopefully the Mei Tai is as easy to learn

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

May 10th, 2009, 10:24 PM
DaGreeksWife's Avatar ... and KB's mommy! <3
Send a message via AIM to DaGreeksWife
Mai Teis are not hard to put on at all!! They do have a little bit of a learning curve... but once you've got it, it's a piece of cake... and quite impressive looking, too. LoL! One time I wasn't even thinking about it, did my normal routine of putting my LO on my back... when all of the sudden I realized I was being watched by a highly fascinated [young man] friend. He's like "whoa!". It was funny.

BTW, I personally have the Babyhawk Mei Tai, and I absolutely LOVE it!! I really loved my Moby was little... but as she got bigger, I needed something a little different - and preferably something I could use, to wear her comfortably on my back. My daughter is almost 21 months old, 25+ lbs.. .and I use it ALL the time!! I chose the Babyhawk due to it's padded, backpack type straps (which I prefer).... however, some people prefer the wider, spreadable straps of Maya's Wrap's Maya Tie. Of course there are other kinds of Mei Tai's out there... but those seem to be the two I most commonly hear about. ;-)

~Tiph: DaGreeksWife

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search