What would you suggest?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2009, 10:06 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
We've always had some sleeping issue's but It seems to be getting worst. We've been giving her a bottle and rocking her to sleep ( not always rocking, sometimes just sitting there ) for about 2 months now. Before that she was swaddled and lying in our bed and I would give it to her that way, or nurse her ( no longer BFing ). Well now with in moment's of falling asleep she'll wake and cry cry and refuse to go back to bed. I try rocking her more, giving her a paci, which she rarely takes and nothing work's. It seems that the only thing that put's her to sleep is to give her another bottle. And even then sometimes it doesn't work. She is always soooooo tired but just refuse's to give in and go to bed. I dont know what to do, I can't do this forever!!! I feel like it's just gonna get worst. I wish I could just give her the bottle and put her to bed. Half awake or awake. It's like she doesn't want to be held to fall asleep but doesn't want to be put down. Ive tried some what to let her CIO but #1 I dont believe in it #2 we have Neighbor's and paper thin walls I can only Imagine what there thinking #3 she cry's forever and will not stop!!! She cry's so much she gives her self gas. She used to gag and throw up, thank goodness she doesn't do that anyore. Any suggestion? I can't do this FOREVER!!!
May 9th, 2009, 10:41 PM
KatiesGirls
Well I can only say what's worked for us but keeping her with me and letting her nod off whenever she needs to seems to keep everyone happy.

Is the problem that you're trying to put her down at a certain time and she won't do it?
May 10th, 2009, 07:04 AM
mommabirdof4
Ya is she giving you the cues that it is bed time before you even start to try to get her to sleep or are you doing it just by the clock??

My son is pretty close to her age(actually looks like they are 2 days apart) and if I try to get him to sleep at a certain time it never works. I have to watch for his cues and then give him a bottle if I think he is hungry and sometimes he sleeps and other times he doesn't. He fights sleep most days tooth and nail. If he starts getting really fussy I have to just let him play or do something with him for a little while longer and try again in a little bit. Sometimes he will cry though and I know from his cry that he is tired but just fighting so we just rock some more.

Also I don't know if you daughter is starting to walk yet...my lil man started about 3 weeks ago...and his sleep has been a little bit messed up because of that I believe. It is a lot for their bodies to manage all at once when they go through a big milestone.

He will also cry forever till he is responded to so CIO would NEVER work for him. He is just used to his cues being followed so it wouldn't work...plus I couldn't do it.
May 10th, 2009, 08:22 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son Billy sleep trained dh in the first week, after that we never tried putting them to bed as babies. They either fell asleep when ready or went to bed when i did and nursed to sleep beside me so I havent any great advice, but hope things go better for you soon.
As mentioned by ntigger, you often do get alot of sleep trouble around new milestones like walking, so hopefully it passes soon.
May 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Super Mommy
a milestone or tooth was my first thought also.

But let me assure you, and I am CERTAIN I win the biggest sleep fighting 12-17 month old in the world award (LOL I'm being funny not really competing), IT WILL PASS MOMMA!!!

I really feel that if we hadn't used the bedsharing mattress during those months it would have been so much worse. It would take anywhere from 1 to 3 hours for Avery to fall asleeep during those months but I just layed in the bed in the dark house/room right beside her and eventually she'd go to sleep. Rocking worked once she was good and tired but she'd wake up when she was put down then I'd just stay really quiet and lay there until she went back to sleep.

It will not last. Try to stay as calm and relaxed as possible, It can be EXTREMELY frusstrating, but your frustration is sensed by the baby so find your own inner quiet and just try your very best to share it.
May 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Bella is starting to fight sleep a lot and I just keep doing the same thing every night, bath, nursing, and patting. Once she falls asleep on the boob, I lay her on my chest and pat her butt for a few minutes before laying her down.

I hope you figure something out soon!

May 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Bella is starting to fight sleep a lot and I just keep doing the same thing every night, bath, nursing, and patting. Once she falls asleep on the boob, I lay her on my chest and pat her butt for a few minutes before laying her down.

I hope you figure something out soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search