How can I co-sleep safely?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2009, 06:24 PM
ShannonMVT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sure there are articles but I wanted to ask here...

Matthew spits up a lot (possible reflux) so we've been trying to get him to sleep on an inclined Arm's reach co-sleeper. But he wakes often, screaming, and then I have to nurse him back to sleep even if it's been less than an hour since he went down.

My bed is fairly soft, don't know if that is a problem.

Matthew likes to sleep with his head turned to one side, or sometimes his whole body turned on one side.

I like to sleep on my side, and usually I sleep with my arms wrapped around a body pillow, but I can give that up if needed.

Right now Matthew would probably prefer to sleep on my chest, but I have a horrible time sleeping on my back even if I am ridiculously tired.

Any suggestions? My main worry is that I don't see how I can co-sleep and have him inclined and if I don't, he is probably going to spit up everything.

My other option is to see if he will sleep in his swing (he did today for naps) but Dh isn't crazy about that.

May 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Super Mommy
Congratulations!!! What a tiny little cutie!!

As far as spitting up, with BFing thre are alot of reasons for it besides reflux, the first being food sensitivities...an elimnation diet is key to figuring out just what is going on there. Dairy, wheat and soy are the three most common sensitivites (caffiene too).

We used the inclined to sleep pillow for DD...she was colicky and food sensitive so did a fair amount of projectile vomiting in her early days. She was in the middle of is on it with her own blankets. We each had our own blankets. You definitely want to lose the side laying pillow. Oh and BURP BURP BURP..It is exhausting in the middle of night but essential for good digestion in the early months.

I don't know if your budget will allow it BUT the amby baby is an AWESOME product its a naturally moving hammock for the baby you can easily move to whereever you are.
Good Luck Momma!!! I hope this helps and that youa re offered even more help from others.
May 12th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You could try one of the inclined sleep positioners, like this one:
Summer Infant Ultimate Sleep Positioner - Summer Infant - Babies "R" Us

A lot of the moms in my PR used sleep positioners at first to give them peace of mind while sharing a bed with thier baby.

May 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Shannon, if I were you I'd check out askdrsears.com. It's an awesome AP website and it has a lot of great articles on safe co-sleeping. We didn't have a lot of problems with spitting up (have you talked to a lactation consultant about it?) but what I did was went out and bought one of those mesh bedrails from Target for my side of the bed. It was more for peace of mind than anything. And I sleep in kind of a C-shape on my side curled around Logan. And when he was little I'd turn my pillow the other way so I didn't have to worry about him suffocating. Basically Logan and I would sleep facing eachother. Worked wonderfully- still does!

Welcome to the AP board btw!

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
May 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If he sleeps happily in the swing, I dont see the problem with it. We love cosleeping, but whatever works best. I think those ambi beds are brilliant too, and I had a baby hammock Billy used for naps when small, it keeps them laying inclined and the position seems to help sleep. On the spitting up - possible reflux - burp burp burp does help.
But back to cosleeping. I have heard of people putting something under the mattress to elevate the whole bed at one end. Cant say it sounds very comfortble to me, but thats just me. The sleep postioners probabley will help, but mine sleep /slept with their head up on my shoulder/ upper arm which kept their heads elevated. I also sleep in a c shape around the baby as kelly described.
I hope you find something you all feel comfortable with soon, and the reflux clears up!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search