Cat Naps

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's getting a little fustrating to have a cat napper on my hands. She takes about 4 very small (20 minute) naps each day. The only time she sleeps longer is if she misses one and needs the extra sleep. Today she had one small nap when we were at the farm market, in the mei tai and didn't go down again until about 4, and she slept 3 hours! She'll do the same if she is up 3-4 hours in the morning instead of taking her usual small nap, and she'll sleep about an hour, sometimes more.

I like to follow my child's lead, let her sleep when she needs to sleep. Should I continue to let her take many small naps througout the day or should I attempt to condense them a little into 2 bigger naps? Abby naturally did that herself, she was sleeping 2-2 hour naps each day by about 3 or 4 months old. I think Anna would do the same if she didn't take the small naps. I WANT her to sleep longer naps, but I also want to give her what she needs without trying to "schedule" her, you know? Any advice?

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

May 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Bella does the exact same thing. The only time she sleeps longer than 20 mins is if we are in the car. I am going to pick up the no cry sleep solution this week to read it and see if it will be something that will work well for us. I will let you know how it helps us.

May 12th, 2009, 10:50 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD was always a short napper. She woke up at the 45 minute mark, usually, even with white noise and room-darkening shades. What helped in her case was I would be nearby at the time I knew she would usually wake up, and rush in to her room at the first peep and be there to help her settle back down for a longer nap. This helped DD to sleep longer on her own, sometimes. But it did not permanently change matters... she's not much of a napper. Never was. Now she's pretty much giving up naps before 2 years You might have a child who just sleeps a little less than others. Hopefully this will work for you in getting her to sleep a little longer.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

May 13th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, Abby was done with naps around 2 too. I don't mind that, I just wish would condense her naps as a baby. I know if I cut out 1-2 of them, she'll sleep longer.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

May 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Super Mommy
I'd go for cutting out one or two of them and see how she responds, if its clear that she is unhappy and REALLY NEEDING a little snoozy give it to her. I think if you gentley guide them towards little goals you can teach little lessons about working together.
May 14th, 2009, 03:50 AM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
I agree with kimber. If you try to stretch it out, but it's obvious she is getting really tired and grumpy, then give her a nap.

Also, I find that Ben is a twenty minute napper too, but only if I put him down in his cot. He's a really light sleeper, so pretty much anything will wake him up. If I put Ben on my lap to nap, he sleeps much longer and gets the amount that he needs (usually). If it's convenient for you, you could try what MommaNator suggested: by going back to Anna about 5 minutes before you expect her to wake up, then as soon as she stirs try to comfort/settle her back to sleep before she fully wakes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search