CDC Swine flu and breastfeeding reccomendations

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Any one else thing these could be a big mistake?
CDC H1N1 Flu | Novel H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu) and Feeding your Baby: What Parents Should Know

I recognise this flu could be quite serious in babies, but I think the protective role of breastfeeding is not gone into enough, and things like only pumping and letting someone else feed baby would make initiated breastfeeding very much less likely for new parents.

Do you think this is an over reaction?

The way i see it, if I were to come down with the flu (which I hope I dont) my children would be exposed before I knew it, isolating them from me wouldnt help. Breastfeeding would be the babies best protection, and as I have had Russian flu very badly when young, i likely carry some degree of immunity which hopefully would be passed in the milk. I would actually do my best to pump and feed some to my older child as well.
July 17th, 2009, 06:21 AM
HurricaneLady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Perhaps their intentions were good but the way they worded it you know there are going to be many newly breastfeeding moms who get a cold - worry it's the flu and stop breastfeeding bc of it - and many dumb dr/nurses who are going to mis-communicate this imformation to new parents...... a woman who wants to breastfeed trying to pump 100% of her babies milk too soon it often a death sentance to her babies breasfteeding relationship. But of all the agencies out there I would expect this type of thing from the CDC - not surprised at all.

Parker Hudson 11/1/08 8.14, 22.5" Frank Breech Csection/Kennedy Eve 11/18/10 9lb, 21" Natural VBAC
July 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Veteran
I agree with HurricaneLady.

I'd take it for what its worth.

These are people who think 5 days is enough to test a vaccine (if the mock up vaccine looks okay after 5 days then the real thing should be okay ?? these people are nuts!).

These are people who say that BMI is an accurate way to determine if a person is obese or not. (See 10 reasons BMI is bogus here)

You seem to be educated enough to understand these things thank God, and I agree with you that it's sad that more people aren't. Many people look to the CDC as the ultimate health officials, and unfortunately many are receiving information from them that leads them to make choices that go against their health and the healthy of their children.

The idea of the CDC is great. What needs to be considered is that all systems and ideas are are imperfect. A person really needs to look into many sources to make an educated decision. I think it's best to look into studies that are done through different sources of funding, with different agendas AND to look at studies that are done without agenda and have nothing to lose or gain based on your decision. Everything is done to make money, of course - but Research done to find answers and be a revolution in the medical industry and they get paid for being "revolutionary" to me is better than research done to prove or disprove something to get someone to buy a product so they will get paid if the product sells.

Not sure if that made sense, but long story short, I won't be basing my decisions on the sole opinions of the CDC.
July 17th, 2009, 09:26 AM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
Broxi i'm with you here, i dont understand why anyone else should feed my baby, who will already have been exposed to the flu if i catch it.,.. because the point of breastfeeding, is that you pass on antibodies of the antigens that your baby has come into contact with.... these people are so ignorant!
xx

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
July 17th, 2009, 11:15 AM
So wait, if I get the sniffles I send my baby off to her grandmother's and pump the milk (last time I tried that it took me 2 days to get enough for one feeding and my nipples were sore for 3 days afterwards)...

I think that this swine flu is so overblown, they couldnt scare us anymore with the bird flu that was supposed to kill us all.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
July 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
I kind of agree with 50% of the advice... that it is important to continue breastfeeding if either mother or baby or both become sick.

The expressing part is curious advice though, and maybe a bit on the excessively cautious side. Perhaps it is because that one of the "at risk" groups of this flu strain is children under 5 years of age.

I think that if you can express, and your baby is fortunate enough to not have displayed any symptoms yet, then it's a preferable option to have some healthy care for them. However, if you can't express enough, then IMO breastfeeding is still more important than not breastfeeding and letting someone healthy care for the baby - the article probably should have made that clearer. I can see a lot of panicky new mums misinterpreting the advice in that article and thinking that the most important part is to stay away from baby and not pass on the flu. Instead, IMO they would be better off continuing to breastfeed but take precautions (as it suggests) like washing nipples, hands etc before and after feeding.

In all probability though, by the time mum shows symptoms, the baby most likely already has caught it.
July 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Super Mommy
More people die from complications of the seasonal flu.

Its hard not to feed into the swine flu hype, but really its just like any other illness we can get, if you are a healthy person(of any age) you are going to be protected best by eating healthy, getting good rest, exercise and washing your hands multiple times when you are out in public.

I wish I knew how to connect attachments because I was just reading the latest info on the vaccination efforts, it was on goggle news,under healthcare.

I was already offered a flu vaccine in the hospital when I deliver my baby,just yesterday,because "they" want to start vaccinating for regular flu earlier this year and I will be delivering in September.I have known WAY WAY too many people that really suffer after recieving these vaccines and get a flu on top of that, NO WAY will i vaccinate, stop breastfeeding,or fall victim to this crazy hype.

Thanks so much for sharing Broxi. Did you post this on the breastfeeding forums too?
July 19th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, this is a big change from their previous release where they said you should continue to breastfeed - nothing about expressing and bottle feeding. What about babies who will not take a bottle?

My little guy was born in June and I must have picked up no fewer than 5 different viruses last winter due to me being so tired and probably also due to me being out and about in public more than when I was at work (shopping carts etc). My baby never got sick that whole time. It wasn't until he was old enough to start touching things himself when he finally picked some virus up before I got it that he finally got sick (and when I went to see the doctor she was AMAZED that she hadn't seen him for a sick call all winter and then told me it was the breastfeeding that was the reason). Whenever I had something first, my antibodies protected him from it. If my baby is going to have a chance to be exposed to the swine flu I'd rather he be exposed to it while simultaneously getting antibodies for it than any other way.

July 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I cant really pump either. Of course Ian is almost 1yr now, so most dr.s here would advise weaning along time ago, but if i were to follow thses instructions it would basically result in weaning. I dont really think the medical establishment is over rating this too much, it does seem to be hitting the young more, and I realise it is a nasty flu, but you are contagious before symptoms start and by the time you know it is definately swine flu the child will be exposed anyway. Seems to me the stress of carting a baby off to be cared for by relatives ( assuming someone wants to babysit a baby about to come down with this), plus either being weaned or having to make do with a very limited amount of breastmilk and supplementaion in most cases would make the baby more likely to become very ill with this. We all know breastfeeding is the best thing for a sick child.
Hopefully we wont catch it anyway, but if we do and were given this advise, I would be ignoring it.
July 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
That does not make a lot of sense to me. I am with your thinking on this Broxi. I also believe not many BFing moms would be able to continue BFing especially in a young baby.

July 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I was surprised to see positive breastfeeding endorsements from the CDC. Honestly I think they were just trying to say if the mom has the flu, get some help... I don't think they meant too much by the expressing of the milk, just to get someone to help feed the baby while you're heaving on the toilet or doing the second part of using the toilet. The best thing any sick baby can get is mama's milk.

Good find and thanks for posting!
July 21st, 2009, 08:44 AM
Veteran
Just wanted to add that DF, DD, and myself contracted swine flu in April, when DD was only 3 months old. DF and I went through three horrible days each with sweating, 104 degree fever, vomiting, and migraine. Thank goodness we got it consecutively rather than at the same time. I breastfed Eva every 2-3 hours as usual and she only got the sniffles. Thank god for breastmilk!

I'm Angelica, Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Co-Sleeping, Selectively Vaxing Mama to Eva born 01.13.2009

July 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM
Veteran
Just wanted to add that DF, DD, and myself contracted swine flu in April, when DD was only 3 months old. DF and I went through three horrible days each with sweating, 104 degree fever, vomiting, and migraine. Thank goodness we got it consecutively rather than at the same time. I breastfed Eva every 2-3 hours as usual and she only got the sniffles. Thank god for breastmilk!

I'm Angelica, Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Co-Sleeping, Selectively Vaxing Mama to Eva born 01.13.2009

July 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks for sharing that. I have to think that as with most flu type illnesses breastfed babies are going to have a much better time of it.
Glad you and df are fine.
July 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by broxi3781 View Post
Thanks for sharing that. I have to think that as with most flu type illnesses breastfed babies are going to have a much better time of it.
Glad you and df are fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search