We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
My gallbladder might not be working so on Thursday I 'm having a scan done to see if it is. After that I cannot breast fed for 48 hours and Isabelle is EBF. She's 7 months. She barely takes a bottle for me. I never wanted her to have a bottle just sippie cups. She already uses sippie cups but not well. So I'm trying to pump and I can't get enough breast milk out. I ran out of fenergreek. She's going to be really fussy if she can't bf. poor baby. I have to have this done, I've been putting it off and it can get painful.
I may be clueless but I am not getting why you can't nurse after having the scan??? What am I missing? Is there any other way they can determine if that is the issue? I know I had a simple cat scan done when I had gallstones...it wasn't a big issue at all. Maybe ask them for some other alternatives and see if you can keep things going. To stop nursing cold turkey for 2 days is going to be miserable for both you and her.
I'm sorry you have gallstones - I had those when I was 17 and it was miserable. Mine were diagnosed with an ultrasound scan, which I can't imagine would prevent breastfeeding. However when I was diagnosed I had a blockage, which is possibly easier to see on an ultrasound. I'm not 100% sure if you could see the stones in the gallbladder, but I seem to recall that they could. It may depend on how severe it is.
I agree with the previous post. See if you can push them for an alternative way to diagnose. It may be that they are just using the cheapest and simplest option available to them and assuming that you'll just be able to express for two days.
In fact I ought to follow that advice too! My GP recently prescribed me hormone replacement treatment for a medical issue I went to her about, even though she knew I was still breastfeeding. Every time I go to see her she blames breastfeeding for whatever I'm there for and tells me to stop . My point is, that doctors will sometimes try to pressure you into options which are less suitable for you, but easier/cheaper/more convenient for them.
I had it done yesterday. I wasn't able to BF her after 24 hours. I waited about 28 hours. She did okay. She took apple juice in a bottle. Formula in cereal. I'm so exhaused she didn't sleep well! She's BFing again. I don't know my results of the scan yet.... That's was awful not being able to BF my baby.
Last edited by Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy; July 24th, 2009 at 04:52 PM.