Co-Sleeping Rant

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM
~Jackie
My professor just told me that in the past month three infants in his county have died from co-sleeping suffocation. Two incidences being related to drugs & alcohol. If you're going to co-sleep, please do so responsibly and safely. Hearing this made me so angry. Just a small rant. I'm done now.

And just so there's no confusion between new members and I, I'm not against co-sleeping. I co-sleep with my two daughters, my rant was about ppl who do it irresponsibly
July 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The bad thing these cases are still recorded as co sleeping deaths, not drug and alcohol deaths. Most often its people who dont co sleep regularly but having had a few too many cant cope with getting up and down.
Even if its only dad having a few, no one who has been drinking should be sleeping in the same bed with the baby -ever.
We've had a number of the co sleeping with alcohol deaths here too, and its often not suffocation, just sids but too many. My personal theory is just the fumes from sleeping next to heavily intoxicated person may increase sids risk, but whatever it is, it is not worth the risk.
Thanks for posting this.
July 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
It's those kind of stories that then make the tabloid headlines with titles like "baby dies while bed-sharing" etc. etc. It's such a tragic thing to happen, but made even sadder when the media feel that the story isn't shocking enough unless they mislead the reader into thinking co-sleeping was to blame.
July 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In Ohio, being intoxicated or under the influence of drugs in the presence of a child can be interpreted as child endangerment. I am angered to hear that this part of the story is dismissed completely due to the fact that the infant was co-sleeping. I agree, it is for the value of headline shock. "Co-sleeping accident" sells media better than "alcohol accident"

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
July 21st, 2009, 05:41 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What annoys me is, not just the bad rap for cosleeping, but also if people were reading "alcohol accident" claims baby's life more often it might encourage a few people to be more careful? Like fetal alcohol effects are meant to be the number one cause of brith defects here, but the child is always diagnosed with an other disability. Perhaps if the actual diagnosis was fetal alcohol effects the mom might be a bit less likely to drink with the next one? And if everyone knew someone whose child had that maybe they would really believe drinking in pg is bad?
And I am not joking I know many women who honestly believe 2 drinks a day is ok, or you can save that up and have 14 on a friday night. I really dont think most people here would think drinking and co sleeping would be any worse then just co sleeping, unless they are so drunk they might suffocate the baby. In fact most would think it safer then ordinary co sleeping because it usually only part of the night.
I know there is the issue of the parent feeling guilty, but no one hesitates to make someone who didnt put the child in seatbelt and the child dies guilty, would it be worth a bit of guilt if enough lives were saved?
July 21st, 2009, 11:42 AM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
My MIL phoned up DH a while ago, to tell him about an article one of her friends had read in the tabloids about an infant death while co-sleeping, and that "it made her blood run cold" because she knew we were co-sleeping.

Meanwhile, my sister-in-law and her husband both smoked throughout both of her pregnancies and have made little to no effort to quit since. MIL doesn't bat an eyelid at that, despite the fact that the link between smoking and SIDS is well established, while there has been no link shown between co-sleeping and SIDS.

But, to quote my MIL, "why would the newspaper bend the truth??!!"
July 23rd, 2009, 10:00 PM
KatiesGirls
ITA!!! It's really sad that it is more newsworthy to say ababy died from cosleeping than from an irresponsible mother. The two are NOT one in the same.
July 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never once heard of an infant death in an adult bed where safe co-sleeping practices were followed. It angers me that there is so much misinformation & fear mongering on this issue.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck12 View Post
I have never once heard of an infant death in an adult bed where safe co-sleeping practices were followed. It angers me that there is so much misinformation & fear mongering on this issue.
And really, I don't understand it. Most of the time when there is fear mongering and people being misinformed it is to either create a profit or to maintain power. Would this really have that huge of an effect on the media's profit? I don't think so- they could easily hype up something else.

Broxi, I agree, people WOULD be safer about it if it was pointed out as an alcohol incident and NOT a co-sleeping incident.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
July 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
And really, I don't understand it. Most of the time when there is fear mongering and people being misinformed it is to either create a profit or to maintain power. Would this really have that huge of an effect on the media's profit? I don't think so- they could easily hype up something else.

Broxi, I agree, people WOULD be safer about it if it was pointed out as an alcohol incident and NOT a co-sleeping incident.
They could easily hype up something else but few things pull ratings the way that infant death does.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search