OMG what is wrong with people

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So my sisters baby is ten days old. She is on facebook. She posted about how Ethan wants to be held when he is sleeping. One of her friends told her she should let him CIO. This is what they said.

know it's harsh and really freaking hard right now, but let him cry. he's got to get used to sleeping on his own early, or it will be even harder to transition later

I posted to try rolled up blankets under the mattress because he does not like to lay flat. I said in my opinion is way to young to let them CIO.
July 20th, 2009, 10:53 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Sick. I couldn't imagine a baby that young CIO.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
July 21st, 2009, 04:52 AM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
ugh its disgusting. tell her to try swaddling and white noise... maica wouldn't sleep without them in the early days.

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
July 21st, 2009, 05:34 AM
Veteran
I would mention that not even professional supporters CIO at that young an age so in the meantime you are more than happy to support her in some gentle night time parenting techniques and that you hope she never feels the risks of CIO are worth taking at any age but that you love her no matter what because she is your sister.
July 21st, 2009, 06:09 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i have seen links on JM about the harm (physical) on CIO that young-- mostly dehydration. maybe you can track that info down. that is just mindblowing, but in my PR, women were giving their babies rice at a few weeks old to get them to sleep thru the night. i personally do not mind night time feedings, cause i know DD is hungry!!!! and i am back at work and know that my baby is more important than sleep!

tell her she should cosleep, it will make it easier

July 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would get her a couple of good books if you can and encourage her to trust her instincts. Almost all mammals naturally respond to the cries of their young, A mother generally will have a natural insinct to care for the child. How sad people will follow some friends advice without any research rather then their own instincts, hope your sis ignores them!
July 21st, 2009, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I chatted with her on Facebook and it sounds like she will probaly not let him CIO at this point in time. She said she is going to try rocking him to sleep and laying him down and do so each time he wakes up. She really does not want to co sleep. Its not for everything.. I told my grandma if the baby is not sleeping she may just go to co sleeping so she can get sleep lol..
July 21st, 2009, 08:11 AM
Veteran
I'm glad you talked to her and glad to hear her being responsive to the babies needs. What a great update!
July 21st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh yeah I forgot that my sisters SIL backed me up and said the same thing. She told her babies can not be spoiled at this age. To enjoy the cuddles because they grow so fast.
July 21st, 2009, 12:48 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
Yes, even CIO advocates do not, in general, ever recommend CIO before 6 months. After 6 months, they claim it is "safe" to assume the baby is not crying out of hunger, but before then, you risk dehydration.
July 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i ditto telling her that not even a pediatrician would tell her to let the baby cry it out yet.. thats crazyness. a baby that yougn is crying for a reason.. even if the only reason is becuz they need some bonding secure time with mommy!

~Em

July 22nd, 2009, 01:54 AM
KatiesGirls
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctanis View Post
So my sisters baby is ten days old. She is on facebook. She posted about how Ethan wants to be held when he is sleeping. One of her friends told her she should let him CIO. This is what they said.

know it's harsh and really freaking hard right now, but let him cry. he's got to get used to sleeping on his own early, or it will be even harder to transition later

I posted to try rolled up blankets under the mattress because he does not like to lay flat. I said in my opinion is way to young to let them CIO.
That made me FURIOUS!!!
July 22nd, 2009, 06:31 AM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
only 10 days makes me sad. I hate CIO.

July 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can remember I felt at my wit's end one day & was telling my sister how often Ds cries....mostly I just felt overwhelmed by what to do for him, because I so badly wanted to be able to soothe him. I also wanted to be able to take a shower without listening to him scream the whole time. I would wait until my mom or Dh or someone could attend to him to shower, but still could NOT stand to take a shower & have him cry in someone else's arms. I think now I might be able to do that a little easier....at that time I just felt so much intense need to make sure that I was doing everything I could for him.... Anyway, he was somewhere near that age when my sister said "Can't you just lay him down in a safe place & take a break?" I flipped out" What do you mean LET him cry???" She later said she thought about it after we got off the phone & she didn't let her LO's cry at that age either...she just didn't know what to tell me & wanted to help. I think people sometimes just don't think. In my recollection my sis never let her kids CIO, so I am not sure if she thought I was going to shake him or what.....

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 24th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was at my sisters place yesterday. Her SIL either is sending the no cry solution book or suggested it.
July 25th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ick that is way too young to CIO! If baby was older I might agree, but 10 days old, heck no!
July 25th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
i have seen links on JM about the harm (physical) on CIO that young-- mostly dehydration. maybe you can track that info down. that is just mindblowing, but in my PR, women were giving their babies rice at a few weeks old to get them to sleep thru the night. i personally do not mind night time feedings, cause i know DD is hungry!!!! and i am back at work and know that my baby is more important than sleep!
Anna still needs to eat throughout the night. If she wakes after 1-2 hours, she will easily let DH put her back to sleep. If it's been 3+ hours though, she will not, she won't go back to sleep until I feed her. My instincts and experience tell me that she is truely hungry and does need to eat around the clock. It makes me wonder how many hungry babies CIO, when all they need is a little food

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

July 25th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
Anna still needs to eat throughout the night. If she wakes after 1-2 hours, she will easily let DH put her back to sleep. If it's been 3+ hours though, she will not, she won't go back to sleep until I feed her. My instincts and experience tell me that she is truely hungry and does need to eat around the clock. It makes me wonder how many hungry babies CIO, when all they need is a little food
I wonder that too

January 18th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This makes me terribly sad as well. I also have a boy who needs to eat at night. I know this since he actively draws milk from me in a voracious manner around 3-4am. I may gripe about it, but I would not hesitate a second to go to him at night. He is my baby. I am charged with caring for him, and tending to his needs. I was never told just to tend to his physical needs. A need is a need, rather emotional or physical. Some people seem to think that if their diaper is dry, and the baby is fed then they should be able to be all by themselves. They need what they need and that is that.

January 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
Why don't people understand that baby's that young are not crying to manipulate??? They are crying because a NEED is not being met. That's it!!! Crying it out doesn't fulfill their need. It only proves to the baby that you're not going to meet its needs. So sad

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search