Need some help

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I feel like a broken record when it comes to my 1yr old. I am always telling him no sternly and he laughs and does it anyways. I dont know what to do to get him to understand. My mom seems to think spanking him will help and i keep telling her i am not gonna spank him, i believe in gentle discipline.
July 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
My 1 year old is the same way. He's 15 months today. I tell him no and he laughs and shakes his head no, then continues to do whatever it is he's doing. I use redirection, sometimes it takes moving him 20+ times, but eventually he catches on that I'm just going to move him again and he moves on to something else. I think spanking, at this age especially, is not a good idea.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

July 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
My 10 month old is the same - I say no to him and he looks at me and smiles, then carries on lol. I just keep moving him away until he gets the idea that I'm not going to let him play with the fireplace/door hinges/cat's tail etc. It's boring and repetitive, but I don't think there is a quick solution. I wouldn't spank either. All they learn from that is that it is OK to hit someone when they're naughty or doing something you don't like.
July 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
If possible make your home a more yes environment.. anything that can be moved should be moved out of the way until he's old enough to understand.
redirection, distraction, change of scenery are all good ways of dealing with this age. If hes doing something thats not okay in a particular area... like throwing stuff then say 'we don't throw here, but its okay to throw a ball outside instead' he's young to understand, but its a good habit to start now as you'll use it later!
xx

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
July 22nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
KatiesGirls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie View Post
If possible make your home a more yes environment.. anything that can be moved should be moved out of the way until he's old enough to understand.
redirection, distraction, change of scenery are all good ways of dealing with this age. If hes doing something thats not okay in a particular area... like throwing stuff then say 'we don't throw here, but its okay to throw a ball outside instead' he's young to understand, but its a good habit to start now as you'll use it later!
xx
totally agree!!!!
July 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I agree with Amelie.

In my experience the best thing to do is make things easy for the child.

Also, I find that using no for emergencies only is way more effective. Usually, I use "eent" sounds to distract Bella and the I move her.

July 22nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Super Mommy
ask drsears.com is an excellent site/resourse for ideas and techniques for gentle discipline, it is alot of work, but the pay-off is tremendous.
The yes environment is HUGE!!!! Also having an instant alternative:you can have this or do this instead of saying no.
Its really hard to switch gears to gentle displine particularly if you were not raised in a very gentle environment.
Good luck and keep asking/looking for alternatives!!
July 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I make the home a more yes environment as well. If i dont want him getting into it, i put it out of reach. Where that doesnt work, we use redirection, and where neither will work, such as at grandmas, where everything is no, I just pick him up at this age.
We also use subsituition, such as giving him a ball when he is throwing tea cups,
and I use the word yuck instead of no for putting things in the mouth.
I think spanking at this age only really teaches children to hit.
July 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the most kid friendly house and still find myself saying no. But I don't do it sturnly. With my oldest I found that it just scared her and she would cry. So instead I started saying "no, no, no" in my mom voice and wagging my finger at her. It worked wonders! I do this with DS too. I don't even have to say No anymore...just say their name and wag my finger at them and they usally stop. I am like the others and save the harsh NO for dangerous situations.

My little guy is two weeks younger than your DS And for us picking him up and moving him to a different task is key. A childs job is to explore and test their limits...how else would they learn? I don't want my child to think he is in trouble just for doing something I don't like. Instead I try to reinforce acceptable behavor.

Good luck! The toddler years will keep you on your toes

July 23rd, 2009, 12:56 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kixs*~ View Post
I have the most kid friendly house and still find myself saying no. But I don't do it sturnly. With my oldest I found that it just scared her and she would cry. So instead I started saying "no, no, no" in my mom voice and wagging my finger at her. It worked wonders! I do this with DS too. I don't even have to say No anymore...just say their name and wag my finger at them and they usally stop. I am like the others and save the harsh NO for dangerous situations.

My little guy is two weeks younger than your DS And for us picking him up and moving him to a different task is key. A childs job is to explore and test their limits...how else would they learn? I don't want my child to think he is in trouble just for doing something I don't like. Instead I try to reinforce acceptable behavor.

Good luck! The toddler years will keep you on your toes
I like the finger wagging idea! I am totally going to try that. I mostly use redirection right now but sometimes you do have to tell them no.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
July 23rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
the finger wagging and the no no no in a funny voice is just brilliant! i've just started doing that with maica because she gets so upset when i say no.
xx

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search