Mothering Your Nursing Toddler

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
So when a bfing mom has that child turn one, I highly recommend reading Mothering Your Nursing Toddler because it gives you so much confidence in your decision. Well, I started re-reading it now that Samantha turned two and man is it worth reading twice. I relate and am so much more relaxed about the solids issue then I was at 12 months of nursing. Again, it's just amazing at restoring your faith in the natural process. I just wanted to share.

Cheers!
July 28th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the reminder, I've seen you mention this book but never got around to buying it. I think I will now!

July 29th, 2009, 12:39 AM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
I really need this book!!xx

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
July 29th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Linz L-I's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: Carolina girl relocated to the Philly 'burbs (for now)
I obviously have a long way to go before Colette is 1, but I may go ahead and get it now. It can't hurt and I also like knowing all the info so I can encourage friends to BF as long as possible.

July 29th, 2009, 09:33 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ian is 1 on saturday, but have completely spent my budget for books for awhile on kid books. Got some really good ones though, including Katy No Pocket , Sylvestor and the Magic Wishing Pebble, the Story of Ping, and danny and the Dinosaur, anyone else remember those? I got some newer ones too, Billy loves the Five Ducks right now, and Ian likes it too, bought The Snow Dragon, Five Littel Monkeys and some others too, spent way too much on books, but they'll be good for home education too.
July 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
I may well check that book out - I could use some encouragement after the rough patch we went through. I've been looking for info on the pros and cons of extended breastfeeding, so that next time my GP tells me to stop breastfeeding I can tell her why I'd rather not. I swear, if I went to see my GP about a sprained ankle, she would somehow blame it on the fact that I am "still" breastfeeding
July 30th, 2009, 05:24 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOL, yes their must be some way breastfeeding can cause sprained ankles too.
I am getting quite annoyed with having health problems blamed on breastfeeding and if i get it again this time am going to ask for it writing or for them to get the senior dr in, who is actually a bit more inteligiant (OB/GYN so you'd think theyw ould know something about breastfeeding!).
On the extended breastfeeding bit though, my brother was still breastfeeding at 2 when i got Russian Flu, which is somewhat related to the current swine flu going around. I was desperately ill lost about 35 lbs which was over 1/3 of my body weight, severe resperatory problems and so on. My brother had a stuffy nose for a few days. And once he was weaned I was always the healthier of the two of us.
Even my dh who was always uncomfortable with breastfeeding past 1 year says he is really glad Ian is breastfeeding now. A friend of ours is in hospital with flu now, delirious, doesnt even know where he is, so we expect the results will come back swine flu. Hope he gets over this soon, he is really a nice person, Billy calls him Mr Fix It and adores him, and he's just one of those people devotes his whole life to his family.
July 30th, 2009, 07:05 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
If money is an issue, borrow it from LLL.

If your doctor is giving you bad information, come over to the BPOY sticky. (It's in my siggie too.) Have them dispute that info!
July 31st, 2009, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IglooWigwam View Post
I may well check that book out - I could use some encouragement after the rough patch we went through. I've been looking for info on the pros and cons of extended breastfeeding, so that next time my GP tells me to stop breastfeeding I can tell her why I'd rather not. I swear, if I went to see my GP about a sprained ankle, she would somehow blame it on the fact that I am "still" breastfeeding
Well breastfeeding could be depleting your bone density making you more prone for a sprained ankle.....

Have you tried to tell them what WHO recommends? What is the official recommendation in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz L-I View Post
I obviously have a long way to go before Colette is 1, but I may go ahead and get it now. It can't hurt and I also like knowing all the info so I can encourage friends to BF as long as possible.
Something nice to read while she is having growth spurts. It's great that you have your goal set for 1+ years. I had that same start out goal and it was great to meet it.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
August 1st, 2009, 12:13 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
I'm 90% certain my GP is aware of WHO and UK gov recommendations, but has her own opinion. She did tell me that she didn't breastfeed her children at all. I don't know for certain whether that's because she tried and couldn't or just didn't want to, but I'd put my money on the latter. Other than her breastfeeding attitude, she's actually very nice! Fortunately the surgery has other GPs, so next time I go I'll just request someone else.

I saw the book on amazon UK with a recommendation and comment from Elizabeth Pantley. It's on my wishlist now

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search