Hoping for some answers today

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to the doctor today to have my thyroid tested. I'm pretty nervous about this. First of all, it's needles, and I don't like those LOL. Second of all, if they tell me that my thyroid is fine, then I am just left with more questions.

This is the first time I've ever gone to the doctor HOPING that something is wrong with me LOL A thyroid problem, which is easily treatable, will explain why Jonah stopped gaining weight, why I had such a hard time breastfeeding, and why I have been gaining five pounds a week despite exercising and dieting. If my thyroid is fine, then I'm just a fat failure of a mother LOL It would also explain a lot of other things (hair loss, low temperature, miscarriages, a bunch of other things!) I'm just really scared that he's going to tell me that I'm fine, and just hypochondriac...

Keep me in your positive thoughts today. I really appreciate the positive energy, so that even if things don't turn out the way I want them to maybe I'll be able to deal with it and just move on instead of stew over it.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
July 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am thinking about you today Jess (((HUGS))) KUP!

(BTW I had no clue that a thyroid issue could cause m/c's how scary!)

July 30th, 2009, 12:04 PM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hope you get some answers, we had alot of confusion for years before they finally figured the lupus thing out. If the thyroid yest comes out fine, be very clear with them that you feel something is very wrong and want further investigation until they find out what it is.
Also on the mc thing have you been tested for antiphospholid antibodies? Its a good idea to repeat tests and my first tests were neg.
Good luck
July 30th, 2009, 12:30 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Jess, you're being way to hard on yourself. Of course I'll keep some positive thoughts for you but you're a fantastic mama! IF they don't find anything, it's not that it's in your head. It's that they didn't have the right tests to run for the right thing. Even if they come back with a thyroid issue, I would SERIOUSLY get a second diagonsis and I would look to alternative solutions being how you're TTC until you get the right balance &/or know 100% it's the right call.

I'll be thinking about you and hoping for some good news. Don't bottle all of this up hon.

positive love to you.
July 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thoughts are with you Jess! I hope you get the answers you need!

July 30th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Thinking of you.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
July 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
(((((hugs)))))) you ladies are so wonderful, you have no idea how much you mean to me!

So I didn't pass out during the bloodwork, which is a plus. I did cry and make a big baby of myself LOL It's embarrassing, but I really go into fight or flight with needles. I did okay with this time- I only cried a little. The results won't be back until next week. They're also testing a slew of other things, some of them I understood and some of them I didn't. The results won't be in until next week, when I'm on vacation, which means I won't get them for about two weeks or so. I might call them while I'm on vacation just because I want to know, but I also want to enjoy it so I don't want to be playing phone tag with doctors, either.

Kixs- I didn't know it was linked to miscarriages either! It wasn't until after someone suggested hypothyroidism, and I started looking into it that I discovered it. Apparantly it's pretty difficult to stay pregnant with it, which is why I really need to get this figured out. In fact, they had first told me that their next available appointment wasn't until way later in August, but when I said I wanted to have my thyroid checked and it's possible that I'm pregnant, they got me in much sooner. I'm thinking that we need to stop TTC until we know what is wrong with me

Broxi- I have no idea what antiphospholid antibodies are! I haven't ever been tested for anything regarding the miscarriages. My old OB refused to test unless there were three consecutive miscarriages.

Michele- Thanks for the encouragement. Being a fat failure of a mother was mostly sarcasm. I'm definitely going to push for them to find out without a doubt what is going on here. I was very up front with him that we are TTC, and in fact it is part of the TTC process that led me to realize something is wrong. But I also do have to keep it in light that I may not be taking very good care of myself. He really seemed to listen to all that I had to say, and so hopefully he will be willing to work with me to understand the crazy things that my body is doing. I am being hard on myself, but I really do just feel fat, ugly, and depressed. I used to feel really confident about myself and about my appearance. I know that I'm being a good mommy to Jonah, but I really want things to turn out differently for future children, if I can help it.

Oh, also I asked him to check my foot and it turns out that I did break it! I don't remember if I put it on this board or not, but on father's day I fell down the stairs while rushing to get Jonah's bottle to him. Well, it still hurts like crazy so I asked him to look at it he ordered some x-rays, and it turns out I did break it but it is mending correctly. Thank goodness or he said it would be to the point where he'd have to re-break it, especially in the spot where it was broken typically has to have screws. I don't know why I put off going to the doctor so much. I really should go when things like that happen. Even with my thyroid, I've had my suspicions for a while but haven't gone. I dunno, I have to get over that I think. It will help that my new doctor is pretty hot LOL

Click the blinkies!

July 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
HUGS Jess, I will be thinking of you! I hope it goes well.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
July 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jess,
Antiphospholid antibodies are the most common cause of repeat MC. Some doctors will test after a second mc, others wait for 3. I asked because they are very common with lupus, and so is hair loss. Doesnt mean it is lupus by the way, but many people get a couple of lupus type symptoms without ever getting the full blown illness.Of course this only comes to mind because of my own experiences, and of course you are a completley different person, and the fact that you carried Jonah to term after the mc's makes it less likely but I am a bit big on testing for the things because it could have saved us so much sorrow had it been found sooner in my case, and I am completely convinced I would not have Billy and Ian without treatment.
Hope you get some answers anyway, I know the waiting is hard. If you dont, remember, you know your body better then they do, I wish i had been more persistant on these things sooner. Better late then never, I am learning to be quite a B----- when neccesary now
all the best and enjoy your holiday
July 30th, 2009, 04:29 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
(((((hugs)))))) you ladies are so wonderful, you have no idea how much you mean to me!

So I didn't pass out during the bloodwork, which is a plus. I did cry and make a big baby of myself LOL It's embarrassing, but I really go into fight or flight with needles. I did okay with this time- I only cried a little. The results won't be back until next week. They're also testing a slew of other things, some of them I understood and some of them I didn't. The results won't be in until next week, when I'm on vacation, which means I won't get them for about two weeks or so. I might call them while I'm on vacation just because I want to know, but I also want to enjoy it so I don't want to be playing phone tag with doctors, either.

Kixs- I didn't know it was linked to miscarriages either! It wasn't until after someone suggested hypothyroidism, and I started looking into it that I discovered it. Apparantly it's pretty difficult to stay pregnant with it, which is why I really need to get this figured out. In fact, they had first told me that their next available appointment wasn't until way later in August, but when I said I wanted to have my thyroid checked and it's possible that I'm pregnant, they got me in much sooner. I'm thinking that we need to stop TTC until we know what is wrong with me

Broxi- I have no idea what antiphospholid antibodies are! I haven't ever been tested for anything regarding the miscarriages. My old OB refused to test unless there were three consecutive miscarriages.

Michele- Thanks for the encouragement. Being a fat failure of a mother was mostly sarcasm. I'm definitely going to push for them to find out without a doubt what is going on here. I was very up front with him that we are TTC, and in fact it is part of the TTC process that led me to realize something is wrong. But I also do have to keep it in light that I may not be taking very good care of myself. He really seemed to listen to all that I had to say, and so hopefully he will be willing to work with me to understand the crazy things that my body is doing. I am being hard on myself, but I really do just feel fat, ugly, and depressed. I used to feel really confident about myself and about my appearance. I know that I'm being a good mommy to Jonah, but I really want things to turn out differently for future children, if I can help it.

Oh, also I asked him to check my foot and it turns out that I did break it! I don't remember if I put it on this board or not, but on father's day I fell down the stairs while rushing to get Jonah's bottle to him. Well, it still hurts like crazy so I asked him to look at it he ordered some x-rays, and it turns out I did break it but it is mending correctly. Thank goodness or he said it would be to the point where he'd have to re-break it, especially in the spot where it was broken typically has to have screws. I don't know why I put off going to the doctor so much. I really should go when things like that happen. Even with my thyroid, I've had my suspicions for a while but haven't gone. I dunno, I have to get over that I think. It will help that my new doctor is pretty hot LOL
Well, as long as he's hot! LOL!

You know what book I loved? Mother Shock by Andrea Buchanan. It really helps put the first year of parenthood into words!

I hope you feel better and please let us know what the results are after your holiday.
July 30th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Super Mommy
Jess, hang in there and try not to worry too much, if it is thyroid it is something that you can work with fairly easily and many many women experience problems with thyroid during childbearing years so there is alot of information and support.

I know you had also mentioned that you were vegan at some points in your life, I too was vegan for almost 15 years and though I do have other infertility issues that contributed to my inability to become and stay pregnant, after years of tests, trying and treatment one of the key factors that contributed to my wellbeing was to take an enormous amount of sublingual B12 (5,000mcg every day for 3 months) as well as working with a nutrtiionist ,adding Omega 3 fatty acids and avoiding refined sugar.

The year after childbirth is difficult and you have really had alot of stress and struggles DEFINITELY you are an inspirational Mom, so no beating yourself up!!!

Oh are you seeing a reproductive endocronologist or just a regular ol DR?? I'd recommend the RE they are SUPER thourough, and will really help you figure all this stuff out and get you preggo with #2!!!!!!!
August 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
You broke your foot???!!! Girl you have got to start putting yourself as a priority some times. How are you going to be able to take care of your son and DH if you don't take care of yourself! (sorry mom lecture over) Gosh I am glad you are healing well. Crazy to think you have been functioning on a broken foot for a month and a half!

Hope all your tests come back with the most simple treatable answer! I was looking at your TTC chart the other day and your temps are all over...that would lead me to think something is up with you hormonally...but I am not a doctor...just practice NFP for 5+ years. Charting can tell you a lot about what is going on with your body.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

August 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
I hope you get some answers soon, and preferably the ones you want to hear!
August 9th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions of things to talk about with my doctor. I guess I need them, because he called this week and said that my thyroid is normal My temps have been higher this cycle, but they've also been erratic. They're typically in the 96-point-somethings range, now they're pretty well above 97. Maybe whatever it is is starting to regulate? I don't know, but I'm going to make another appointment for next week.

BFN today, too.

Kixs- I know, I can't believe I let it go either, but it was fathers day, ya know, I didn't want to spoil it. Then MIL convinced me that it was a burst blood vessel or something like that and I was just being a big baby about it. Some of her advice is good, other advice not so much ;p

Click the blinkies!

August 10th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Are you temping at the same time every morning before you get out of bed??? If you are not consistant in your temp times this could explain your crazy temps.

Do you have a lot of light in your room at night? My NFP booking (The Art of Natural Family Planning) says that keeping your room DARK...not even the light from an alarm clock...can help with the quality of your CM and increase your fertility. We darkend our room and I got pg with Kaylie that next month!

Again...I am not a pro or anything but I have learned some things on my charting journy. Did I already suggest checking out the NFP board??? If not please do. They have lots of good links for charting and TTC.

Sorry you did not get any answers from your blood work

August 10th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Are you temping at the same time every morning before you get out of bed??? If you are not consistant in your temp times this could explain your crazy temps.

Do you have a lot of light in your room at night? My NFP booking (The Art of Natural Family Planning) says that keeping your room DARK...not even the light from an alarm clock...can help with the quality of your CM and increase your fertility. We darkend our room and I got pg with Kaylie that next month!

Again...I am not a pro or anything but I have learned some things on my charting journy. Did I already suggest checking out the NFP board??? If not please do. They have lots of good links for charting and TTC.

Sorry you did not get any answers from your blood work

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search