New Here and Co-Sleeping Questions

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2009, 05:44 AM
viXen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello everyone!

My name is Jessie, I have a 3 and a half year old daughter Dakota and a newborn daughter, Willow.

With Dakota I tried breastfeeding but caved and switched to formula. I was very big on having a schedule with her, eating every 3 hours, making sure she slept in her crib and things like that.

This time around I am dedicated to breastfeeding on demand, I love to carry her around in a ring sling, and dare I say it, we have been co-sleeping!

I have always been terrified of co-sleeping, I am so afraid something will happen to her while in bed with us. How do you all co-sleep? Do I really have to go buy one of those expensive snuggle nests? Any advice and tips are appreciated!

August 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Hi! Congrats on your new baby girl!! and Welcome to the Attachment Parenting board. If you need anything please feel free to PM me!

Bella is the first baby out of my four that I co-slept with and to be honest, the first 2-3 months was really hard for me to get good sleep. I usually fell asleep while she was nursing. I would be laying on my side and curl around her like a c. That way I could keep all my blankets away from her. I was always soooo paranoid. Now that she is older, I sleep terrible if she isnt in bed with me. I love co-sleeping so much.

Just make sure you keep blankets and pillows away from baby. Co-Sleeping will get easier for you.

August 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hi nice to see you here

I never meant to cosleep with my daughter but she ended up insisting on it. I was terrified of it in the early days. I made series of safety rules they were something like:
~ I only slept with a blankie, no comforter/duvet/fluffy blanket and not shared bedcovers with me and DP.
~ My blankie never came up higher than her waist, that meant I needed a long sleaved pj shirt.
~ Only one think pillow for me and she was well below it at all times.
~ I placed her either between me and her crib (it was right next to the bed) or if she was between me and DP I had a thick nursing pillow as an extra barrier as he was afraid to be next to her. That pillow was also placed so that it would never cover her face.
~ I would place myself in a position that'd make it hard for me to turn onto her and/or place her so that our faces were at the same level.

I didnt start turning my back to her until she was over a year old. I either slept on my tummy or the side facing her.

Dr sears's website has good tips on safe cosleeping, the website is askdrsears.com if I remembr correctly and a quick search should find you the article. Just pay attention to what is in the bed and how things are placed. While your girl isnt mobile it is easier. I think my girl could propell herself a bit at 4 months or so. Just keep an eye out for how her mobility develops and it should be fine.

As freaked as I was in the beginning I'm really happy that we ended up cosleeping. We still cosleep. I have managed to sleep fairly well even though I have done 100% of the night feedings since day 1. We still have one or two night feedings and they are usually over in 10 minutes or less and then I fall asleep again.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
August 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is a link to a really great thread here on co-sleeping in all forms (room sharing, bed sharing, etc)... http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f9...ing-101-a.html (Bed Sharing 101)

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search