popping in with a babywearing gear question!

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Hello! I haven't posted here in awhile although we're still definitely AP I have a question and I thought you ladies could probably provide me with some input. Baby #4 is due Christmas Day and I really would like to get a hands-free wrap/sling to wear him in. I'll be chasing a toddler around and while I have a ring sling that I love, I really think I want either a Moby Wrap or an Ergo. I just can't decide between the two. I want something that doesn't take an engineering degree to use, will be comfortable on my back and shoulders, can truly be used hands free from the newborn stage, and that I will enjoy using. Washability is also nice! I'd love to buy both but I don't think that's in the cards right now. I've never tried either one so I have no idea which one I would like. If you've used either one, what were the pros and cons? Which would you buy? Thank you!!

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
August 2nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Moby I loved it but...
The few times I tried to wear her in it when she was <3 months she would go BOOB BOOB BOOB and try to feed frantically. I managed to get her to stay in there a bit when she was 2+ months by feeding her first (mind you she was a marathon nurser in the early days so that might have had something to do with it). I dont think this was the fault of the moby though.

Tying it is hard at first. I used the moby a lot for a period of about 6 months. I usually got it tied OK but rarely perfectly. If you want to be able to raise your hands above your head the moby isnt for you lol. That was my biggest peave, my hands would be half tied. That's why I say I didnt get it tied well enough most of the time. I never really figured what was the problem, sometimes I had more use of my hands, other times I felt tied up.

It is a lot of fabric so may get hot.

Now with all the negativities being listed i still loved using it and I used it exclusively outside the house for 4 months as my LO hated the stroller. It was quite comfortable, i carried her for hours in it and she was always very calm and would fall asleep in it.

I foresaw that I wouldnt carry her in the moby forever and wanted somethign with an easy back carry. I looked into the Ergo. I tried it for 5 minutes and in those 5 minutes it hurt my back and I was only carrying a 6 month old. I figured that if I hated it with her that small that it wouldnt be the one for me.

Then i met my new best friend the mei tai. I used to think that they couldnt be very nice with straps (like the ergo has straps) but because they cross behind your back the weight is distributed more onto the lower back than with the ergo. I loved the mei tai the first time I tried it. We currently use both back and front carry with it, she is over 20 lbs now and the front carry is still fine and she sits lower in it than in the moby so she isnt butting heads with me. With it having straps it means that I also have the full mobility of my hands which I love. It is super easy to tie and from what I have read can be used with a newborn.

Heh I wrote a book, hope some of that helps. Oh another idea, try checking out youtube videos on how to tie the carrers. There are a lot of people out there who like to show others how to wear their favorite carrers. That'll give you an idea of how they are wrapped/worn and how they look on a person.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
August 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
MamaToARockStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a 4 month old son and hes just now kind of outgrowing the moby wrap but for the first 4 months he lived in it.He still loves being in there but his head comes to far up and we butt heads if hes not asleep.I also used a home made hotsling pouch alot when he was a newborn and he loved that too,now i use it to carry him on my hip in it and its great for in and out errands.I have a mei tei which i love and its so much easier to put on and adjust than the moby. I havnt tried an ergo yet but i would def. reccomend a mei tei.
August 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
KimberlyD0
I have a hotsling and a mai tei I love.

Hotsling does leave you one handed but it was the best on for my LO because she loved the cradle hold in it. When she got to big we moved to the Mai Tei. We both love it. Its easy to use and can be used as a back, side or front carrier and is good to 35lbs

I had a moby with my first and while it was comfortable, it was a PITA to use. Never could figure out the back carry. It was to much for me so I sold it.

I would recomend the Mai Tei
August 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Super Mommy
I love my ergo carrier and it is great for up to 45lbs. I am tall and we hike alot and I have never experienced any discomfort using it. That being said, it needs an insert for infant carry (I just got a super cute one) and I haven't been able to use it through this pregnancy because it is just wouldn't fit around my preggo belly the waist/hip straps wouldn't so I have carried DD in the old hip carry sling when she really needs it.
August 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I have the Baby K'tan Baby Carrier - Sling, Babywearing, Clothing, and more! and I love it. I have been using it since Bella was 2 weeks old. It is washable and has support on both shoulders. Its the best kind I have ever used. On the website, it shows you the many different ways it can be used to wear baby. Bella is now 8 1/2 months old and I still wear her all the time very comfortably.

August 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My sister got a moby wrap and she loves it.
August 3rd, 2009, 06:03 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
No, you're not supposed to introduce additional choices!!! Now I'm having an even harder time deciding.....

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
August 3rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry more choices. I couldnt imagine being without my sling when Ian was little.
It would be my number one must have baby item, I could easily do without a cot, pram, mobiles , anything else, its a real lifesaver when you want to take the older child out. Then something like an ergo later, although i still use my slings too.
I have a freedom sling, dr sears sling and a patapum which is basically a cheaper knock of of the ergo I think.
Try ebay and see if you can find what you need used to save a few £.
All the best.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search