baby wraps/slings?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2009, 04:57 AM
bittersweet's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello!

Popping over with a baby wrap question b/c I figured you all would know best!

I am confused about what type of wrap to get. They all seem to offer something nice. I would ideally like something that is supportive from newborn through toddler years. Also something that is easy to put on yourself (while out and about getting in and out the car and such) and adjust front to back if needed.

The top ones I was looking at was the Moby, Mei Tei, and Ergo (can you carry a newborn in an Ergo?) But last night I came accross the Beco Butterfly which looks similar to a Mei Tei but easier to put on/adjust. But I've never heard it talked about on here.

Any feedback on your own prefrences and experiences would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by bittersweet; August 3rd, 2009 at 05:46 AM.
August 3rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
I've used wraps, pouches, ring slings and Mei Tai's. The wrap was my favorite with my preemie because it kept him nice n close and secure. The ring sling is my favorite to nurse in. But my overall favorite is the Mei Tai. I've used those from birth through toddlerhood, even while pregnant, and that was the most comfortable for me to wear for long periods of time. I'm 6' tall so wearing baby tends to make me 'top heavy' and I have very boney shoulders so most slings get uncomfy after awhile, but the padded shoulders of a Mei Tai, plus the weight being distributed to both shoulders, makes it very comfortable.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

August 3rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
KimberlyD0
Hotsling and Mai Tei are my 2 favorites. Both are good to 35ish pounds. I loved the hotsling for the infant carry, its a very comfortable hip carrier, but it restricts one are. I use the Mai tei everyday pretty much, warn it for 6 hours once while out and it didn't hurt me.

Moby is comfy, but much harder to get on then a mai tei. I sold my moby and bought a mai tei instead.

I can't use a ring sling I am too short. I can't get them small enough for me.
August 3rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I use the Baby K'tan Baby Carrier - Sling, Babywearing, Clothing, and more! and I love it. It goes from newborn to toddler, up to 40 lbs. My dd is almost 9 months and we use it all the time. Its the best kind I have used.

August 3rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
You can carry a newborn in the Ergo, but to do so you need to also buy the infant insert, which is sold separately.

I have a Moby Wrap, which I liked when Ben was younger, but as he got older and more wriggly (4 months+) I found that I was having to re-tie it a lot. Also the Moby Wrap does take a fair bit of practise to get the hang of (although maybe I just lack the dexterity).

I also have a Babasling, which I didn't use much at all. I tried it when Ben was a newborn, but just could't get the hang of it. He always looks bunched up and uncomfortable in it (perhaps because he was a long baby).

My favourite is the Ergo, but it is expensive. If you can, try and borrow or buy second-hand carriers (Ebay is a good place), as it can be hard to know in advance which carrier will work best for you and your baby. It depends a lot on your size, how big/small your baby is, how you prefer to carry your baby (hip, front, back, etc). If you shop around, you can often find places that will let you buy a carrier with a 30-day money back guarantee - that's what I did with my Ergo carrier.
August 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a moby, which I could not live without. There is a little bit of a learning curve with it but once you get the hang of it (which didn't take me long at all) it was super easy to finangle. I love it becuse it gives me so many different options for carrrying him and really has grown with him so far. I loved the way you carry a newborn in it, he was really small (was down to 6lbs when I was using it) and he just was snug as a bug in there. It made (and still does) grocery shopping so easy with a newborn.

Now that he's older he sits in it more like a normal carrier...which is great becuase it leaves me hands free, he still feels very secure and he loves it. Plus I can put him forward or facing me, whichever he wants more (he likes to see facing forward but sleep facing me)

The only drawback I've found is that it get's a little warm but even in our 100 degree days I haven't found it terribly uncomfortable.

I've used a regular like baby bjorn thing with my siblings and my sisters sling and I didn't find those as comfortable or easy to use as the moby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search