Another question (and a pic!)

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Linz L-I's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: Carolina girl relocated to the Philly 'burbs (for now)
Little Miss Colette was a month old yesterday and so far everything is going amazingly well! I'm so blessed I can't believe it! Here's a picture of her taken a couple days ago:

My question is in regards to cosleeping and breastfeeding. She sleeps in bed with us every night. I have an Arms Reach Cosleeper attached to our bed (where she is in the pic) but I really only use it when Ryan and I need some time to ourselves at night for just an hour or so. Sometimes I put her in there to nap if I have to do something while she sleeps, but otherwise she's always in bed with us. I've been sleeping with my shirt off and with her in just a diaper so we get some good skin-to-skin contact at night. The past few nights I've woken up to her nursing or just sucking on me for comfort. It's quite convienent, really. She sleeps great and I'm surprisingly NOT sleep deprived! However, I mentioned this to a friend and she acted like I was being a horribly negligent mother for not getting up with her every time she's awake. I do get up to change her diaper halfway through the night, but other than that, I am happy to just let her nurse at her leisure and she doesn't seem to need me to be awake to do this. Is this ok? Did anyone else do this? I could always start sleeping with a shirt on so she does wake me up when she wants to eat, but this works so well...

What are your thoughts?

August 3rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
One of the advantages of co-sleeping, is that you don't have to get up to nurse your baby! So long as she is feeding well (at her age she's probably still needing to night-feed a few times) then I wouldn't worry.

That said, when Ben was a newborn, I did get out of bed to feed him at night, but that was only because I had milk supply issues in the beginning (or I thought I did). By getting out of bed, I was making sure that Ben fed properly, by keeping him awake for 20-30 minutes (this was all on the advice of the midwives, I really don't know whether it made any difference or not). By the time he was two months old and I was a bit more confident with breastfeeding, we were co-sleeping full time and I was only getting out of bed to change his nappies.

If it puts your mind at ease, you could try a couple of nights with a shirt on, just so that you can see what times she is waking to feed. It will give you an idea as to how regularly she's feeding. But if breastfeeding is going well and she is healthy, happy, etc, then I wouldn't worry.
August 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. I cant tell you how often Bella eats at night. She finds my boob and eats and we are both sleeping still. It works out well for us.

August 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
sounds like it is working well for you! we generally do not change diapers at night and use a disposable at night.

August 3rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What is your friend mental or something (sorry for the name calling), just because she was most probably sleep deprived means you have to be also? I mean come on......this works perfect from what you describe. I think your friend is a tiny bit jealous or something. Good work on it mom......

" \m/ Now Iím riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Iíll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search