Where do babies come from? (lol)

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a regular here, but figured this would be the best place to ask since I am an AP mommy.

I'm 30 weeks pregnant with #3 (DD is 2 1/2 and DS an angel). My dd is VERY excited about the new baby, she knows that baby is in mommy's tummy and that it's going to 'come out' soon. Well lately I've been watching 16 & pregnant on MTV (I know, I know ) DD watches with me, and gets all excited that the girl is going to have her baby. She watches the whole thing, because it isn't graphic (its Mtv) so she sees the girl with her legs up, pushing and hears the doctors saying "pussssh pusssssh" so she knows the baby has to be 'pushed out' but she doesn't know where it's being pushed out of. lol So anyway, last night her and daddy are playing puppets & this is how it went:

Mattea with a little bear: "Kick the baby out, Kick! Kick! Kick!" while kicking the bears legs.
"Push the baby out! Push! Push! Push!" while pressing the bears hand on its tummy and pushing downwards. lol! Soo cute! So I think she's probably gearing up for the whole 'where do they come out of' question. Do you think it's appropriate to tell a 2 1/2 year old the truth? Or skirt around it a little (mommys tummy) and just let her make up her own mind on what that means? I don't want to confuse her, but I feel like she's a little young to understand the birth canal. lol

Opinions??

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
August 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
This just might be me, but we have a very open household. If my daughter asks questions we tell her. It's human nature and I don't think there is anything wrong with telling a child where the baby comes out of but again this is just what we do, it may not work for everyone.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
August 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
i think i'd say baby comes out of a special place from a lady's *insert whatever word you use*
or something like that!

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
August 6th, 2009, 03:00 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
I'm not sure... on the one hand, I'd want to be truthful (while keeping the answer as simple as possible), because I wouldn't want to inadvertantly turn something into taboo by being overly evasive.

Then again, three years old does seems young to properly understand a completely honest answer; it may just overwhelm her imagination. Heck, I had a hard enough time imagining how DS was going to squeeze his way out when I was pregnant!

I think it would depend on the child asking, but I'd probably go for a compromise like "the baby comes out from between mummy's legs" or something like that and then see where the rest of the discussion goes based on what, if any, follow-up questions are asked!
August 6th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Super Mommy
Hi!! I'm Kim I'm 35 weeks preggo with #2 and my dd will turn 3 just days before the baby is due.
I am infertile and a stay at home Mom with no babysitter and family far away. My dd came to all of my ultrasound, bloodwork apppointments pre pregnancy and has been to every apponitment while preggo. She saw hew baby brother on ultrasound at 10 weeks, and because she understood whta the ultrasound machine was doing she has known for that long that we are going to have a baby. My sister had a baby in March and DD was told in graphic detail by her cousin and my sister just how the bay came out, including photos and video (it was an at home water birth). She is very well aware that the baby will come out of my "Whoolie" and is currently growing inside my uterus, We are planning on having her at the birth and she walks around with her own birth pictures and will narrate the story of her birth to anyone that is interested, she gives birth on a regular basis on our living room couch. So my advice is obviously: Tell her as much as she wants to know and answer whatever she asks without adding too much that she doesn't....just today ny dd did indeed ask how the Daddy piece got into the Mom egg.............fortuneately as I said I am infertile and was able to give her a very sterile answer!!!! That she accepted without further question...again thank goodness!!! Its enough that she is really really into the whole girl whoolie boy penis thing at the moment.

Sorry that got a little long, I guess I'm just excited about the whole thing!!!! I hope things are going well with your pregnancy!!
August 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
we alwyas keep our answers simple and dont give more than is needed. If she asks more questions then I keep answering...simple still....just go by her queues on what she's ready to know and what she isn't

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
August 6th, 2009, 10:06 PM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the replies ladies, you were all very helpful, and now when the time comes - I feel a little more prepared

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
August 7th, 2009, 09:26 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DD was 3y 1m when her little brother was born last year. I was affraid it would scare her to know that a baby could come out of her her vagina...so we kept it simple. Plus she was a c/s and DS was a VBAC I did not want to confuse her...KWIM

She did ask how the doctors where going to get her brother out and my answers was "well that got you out didn't they". She was perfectly happy with that answer

Had she been a little older I would have told her the truth but I just felt that she was a little to young at the time and would be scared for me...she is very sensitive!

August 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar Plus 1 :)
I was forced to explain to my kids lol. They asked and before I could avoid or think of how exactly to answer the question (this was a couple pregnancies over) my dh opened his big mouth and said "Mommy poops the baby out" UGH Men!! He never thinks before he speaks. Still to this day my son Zack (5) will make comments. Like just yesterday he passed gas pretty loudly then told my dh that "That wasn't me, that was mommy, she tooted the baby out".

Anyway, when I had to explain that I don't "poop the baby out" I explained to the older ones the full truth, and the younger ones I didn't get into the whole vagina discussion, just let them know that the baby comes from the private area. I don't think toddlers are really going to fully understand that there's an anus, vagina and urethra.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search