Introduction

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Katy Moore's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, my name is Katy (21), DH is Ben(23). We have a daughter named Emma, born in May. I've heard the term attatchment parenting before, but never really knew what it meant, so I googled it (lol, I know) and it turns out, that's pretty much me! I wear my baby in our homemade Moby wrap, we cosleep and will until she grows out of the cosleeper, and we breastfeed. I'm a SAHM, but I'm going back to school full time in September, and I'll be gone 3 days a week, for 4 hours each. I'll be pumping then, and I hate to do it (and so does she) but we'll be giving her a bottle in that time. I definitely follow my instincs and nurture DD however I feel I should, but DH doesn't seem to be as supportive of that. He thinks we should just let her cry sometimes, and I'm kind of against the CIO meathod. I actually let her CIO last night for 5 minutes just to see what happened (checking the clock every 30 seconds to see when the 5 minutes would be up), and it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it got us nowhere, and she didn't end up comforting herself at all. My parents are also not supportive. My mom had 5 kids, and I guess just didn't have time for things like that. I know some of the comments she's made to my sister (also attatchement parenting, I think I get some of these things from her, lol) are very non-supportive. I keep hearing "It's not the end of the world if she cries for a minute". Well obviously it's not the end of the world, but what is? I wish people would let me treat my child like I want to without butting in. Unfortunately, DH has a big say in how she's raised, too, so I don't know how to deal with that. I told him that he can do with her what he wants when he's watching her, and I'll do what I want, but he pointed out that if he's got her, and wants to put her down while she's crying, he knows I'm going to pick her up and that defy's the whole point in it. Lol
So anyway, long introduction! I think I'll be lurking here a lot, and posting off and on. But since I still don't know a ton about attachment parenting, what does it mean to you?

Check out my boutique! Baby Bottom Boutique

August 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Super Mommy
Welcome Katy!! I'm Kim my DD is almost 3 and I'm due with #2 in 4 weeks. The infant months can be really tiring nad all the unsolicited advice can be harrowing to say the least!! Just remind yourself and anyone that asks that you are going to be the best Mother you can be to YOUR daughter and let thier comments slide. As far as the DH thing, sometimes Dad does things differently but there is ALOT of research out there supporting the damage that letting your young child CIO does. I think we have alot of it in the stickies above. In the meantime try to check out the DR.Sears Baby Book it is really worth the investment as it is FULL of information to help you wade through the first couple of years.
Welcome again and stick around this is a great place with lots of knowledgable Mommas!
August 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Welcome Katy Your little girl is beautiful. I am sorry that your family is not as supportive of your parenting as you would like. I think it is great that you are following your instincts and not allowing them to pressure. It is hard.

As for your DH, I agree that there is so much research that shows the damage that CIO can cause. I would just work on showing him articles like that. I know that when I talk to DH about things like AP, backing up my choices with facts helps win the argument easily.

I am Sarah, mommy to four. My newest little one is Bella and she was born in November.

I work at least 4 days a week for up to 7 hours at a time and have to pump also. Does your LO take a bottle ok? If not, I highly recommend the evenflow breastflow bottles. They are really awesome and the only kind that Bella would take. Good luck with going back to school!

August 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm Martha, I have four kids...my oldest is an Emma Lovely name huh!

Anyway....I agree....read the articles and have a sit down talk about how you expect to raise, punish (or not), etc your kids with dh....you both should be on the same page now rather than later. My dh and I aren't most of the time nad I wish I"d have done more research and had a sit down talk with him before our kids got to be the age they are...it's hard to undo things or change the past LOL....but anyway....if you start out on the same page you'll have a smoother road ahead of you with this child and future children!

Welcome!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
August 9th, 2009, 11:00 PM
jacquelinejoy's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi there. I'm Jacqueline, mama to an almost 4 year old and a one year old. Our family, friends and even strangers as you may know already are good at giving unsolicited advice. My advice would be to take it with a grain of salt. You are the mama and mamas truely know best. Follow your heart.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search