Co-sleepers! Nap advice needed!

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Veteran
We have been co-sleeping since day 1 and I LOVE it! But lately we have really been struggling with nap time. Usually I will nap with my little guy or lay next to him and read or use my laptop, but lately he hasn't been able to nap during the day on the bed. The only way he will fall asleep is if we rock him until he falls asleep and sometimes for the entire nap! He is only 3 months old, so I know he is not ready to give up naps. I wouldn't mind the rocking chair option, but I think it's starting to affect how he sleeps at night. The past few nights he has been waking up much more frequently and struggling more to go back to sleep.

Any suggestions?
What are you doing about nap time?
TIA.
August 10th, 2009, 07:59 AM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD is 10 months and has never been a really good napper. We co-sleep too and she will not nap unless I'm holding her or next to her. I think that's just her personality though. I co-slept with all my kids and none of them had nap problems, but Marienah is also the only one I BF. I don't know if there's a connection there or not.
I wish I could be of more help to you, I'm interested in any advice you get from here cause I think I need some too.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

August 10th, 2009, 07:59 AM
My DD is 10 months and has never been a really good napper. We co-sleep too and she will not nap unless I'm holding her or next to her. I think that's just her personality though. I co-slept with all my kids and none of them had nap problems, but Marienah is also the only one I BF. I don't know if there's a connection there or not.
I wish I could be of more help to you, I'm interested in any advice you get from here cause I think I need some too.

August 10th, 2009, 08:00 AM

August 10th, 2009, 08:33 AM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
This sounds EXACTLY like what I'm going through with my 3 month old. The only difference is we roomshare, but we don't bedshare. I've been thinking she's too used to falling asleep nursing and is depending on it more and more. Maybe it's just the age? If you get any good advice, let me know!
August 10th, 2009, 09:19 AM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
This sounds EXACTLY like what I'm going through with my 3 month old. The only difference is we roomshare, but we don't bedshare. I've been thinking she's too used to falling asleep nursing and is depending on it more and more. Maybe it's just the age? If you get any good advice, let me know!
August 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Growth spurt?
August 10th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Super Mommy
Amby baby, swing,or baby carrier of some kind and a nice afternoon walk for Mom.

although it probably is a growth spurt thing: 3 months 5 months 6 months 9 months 18 months and every tooth in between will have these types of sleep disturbances and nursing frenzies. Thank goodness for co-sleeping and sidelying nursing!!!! Hang in there and take heart he WILL nap again.
August 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I agree that it could be a growth spurt. I co-sleep with Bella and for naps we either nap together or I lay her in her crib. She never really sleeps longer than 30ish mins but that is just how she has always been.

I hope the night sleeping gets better.

August 11th, 2009, 05:32 AM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also agree about the growth spurt. Also agree about the sling/carrier idea. Have you tried to wear him down to sleep? You can put him in there a few minutes before naptime and let him drift off, then gently put him down. If he stirs you can keep his hands on him a few moments and let him relax back to sleep. I do that when Hugo stirs and it usually keeps him asleep.

My son is almost 16 mos. now and I still nap with him when I can (that may also be b/c I am pg and need the extra sleep, lol). When he protests nap, I ask if he wants to nap alone or with mom and usually he chooses mom by leaning into me quickly and saying "Night-night." Obviously that's not an option with a little infant but you may want to offer him the different options of places to lie before it's time to settle down and see where he settles best.

And sometimes it's just going to be a fight. It's not very often but sometimes I have to wrangle with Hugo to sleep b/c he fights sleep. It is usually due to teething, growing, something not being quite right, and it passes in a day. Good luck!

August 11th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Veteran
I appreciate the advice given so far and am certainly open to more suggestions. We haven't really mastered the slings/carriers so I don't know how successful I will be at wearing him down to sleep. When he is not happy with a situation he doesn't just fuss, he starts screaming and he's not happy about being worn for long. Maybe I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet... I'll try it though, I'm willing to try anything. He gets cranky when he doesn't get his naps, even if he fights them.
August 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Could be a phase he is going through (babies go through that for various reasons). Maybe something is bothering him, maybe growth spurt. Could be a lot of things. Keep being consistent with his nap time hours and see if it passes. Stephanie went through a lot of such phases and now is at the point that she wants to walk around her bed and not sleep in it .......LOL .....we keep trying to be consistent that it is nap time. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't ....

" \m/ Now Im riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Ill cross the line forevermore \m/ "

August 17th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We co-sleep mostly (she starts the night in her crib), and we have nap challenges as well. I can't co-nap because I also have a one year old and a four year old. It takes me about 30 mins of nursing and patting to get her to sleep for about 30 mins. It doesn't quite seem worth it. She'll do that a few times a day.

I'm looking forward to when she consolidates down to two naps. I remember that being the best nap phase with my others. Of course, every child is different... but at least I can hold out hope, right?

So sorry, I'm no help. But this phase will pass and a new one will take its place

And I know I've heard that good napping is linked with good night sleeping, but so far, I personally, am unconvinced. I have not noticed a correlation.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search