Twilight Saga

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2009, 06:18 AM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I came across this "debate" somehow, about preteen/tweens reading this. Many of them said they shouldn't be allowed. I personally haven't read it, but seen the movie. I don't love it and I understand all the teen rage about it. I didn't think it was bad at all.
Haylee (10) wanted to read it so i bought her the the whole series and that's what she did all summer. She just finished Breaking Dawn. Of course we had our talks about them, because she was so excited one minute and upset the next with all that was going on in the book. I was just so proud of her reading that much, those books are huge. Now after reading the debates, I'm wondering if I did anything wrong by letting her read them.
For anyone who's read it, should I have not let her? What do you all think younger kids reading adult/older teen books? Personally, I think it all depends on the maturity level of the child. Haylee is a READER, she LOVES LOVES LOVES books. She's pretty bored with all the elementary level books.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

August 18th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it is such a parental discretion thing....I read them...I loved them...would I let *my* ten year old read them...probably not...but like you said...it depends on maturity level...I only have an almost 7 year old at this point so it's hard to say what I'd allow cause I dont know her future mentality.

Anyway..there is nothing "bad"....and things like premarital sex and such dont happen....the couple waits until marriage.....that is a good lesson....I mean...it IS about vampires...but I dont think that it's got anything "BAD" in it....I dont know...I think it really depends on the person...

HUGS...I know that didn't help much.

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
August 18th, 2009, 02:58 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I think the books are pretty PG. I've read them all repeatedly and LOVE them. I wouldn't have a problem with a 10 year old reading them if they wouldn't be scared. I mean they are no worse than the last couple of Harry Potter books and kids read those.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
August 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
snlemon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've read them and I enjoyed them. Very teenage girl angst. I would let my ten yr old read them...as long as she wouldn't be scared or anything...the vampire aspect of it is really the only "questionable" material, and I do like the waiting until marriage thing...I thought that was well done.
August 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM
KatiesGirls
I think that anything that can encourage a love of reading in a child is a good thing! You might want to read the chapters that include the more erotic undertones though (when they get married, there's a lot of it) just so you know what she's read in case you need to talk about it.
August 19th, 2009, 11:35 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie-lox View Post
I think the books are pretty PG. I've read them all repeatedly and LOVE them. I wouldn't have a problem with a 10 year old reading them if they wouldn't be scared. I mean they are no worse than the last couple of Harry Potter books and kids read those.
August 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I know this post is old, but I'm putting in my two cents!

Am I mistaken, but I thought those books were geared towards tweens? Absolutely nothing happens in them. There is no language, no descriptive sexual acts, even the violence isn't over-written. Those are books for young people. These are some of the reasons I dislike the books. Nothing happens in them! And yes, I have read them all. I've read far worse books for children written by authors such as Christopher Pike. I enjoy his children's books, though. At least if they are about vampires someone gets bitten. What's the point of a vampire book when there is no necking involved?

The movie, on the other hand, I would not let my child watch till she was at least 13. I wouldn't want her to think it was OK to wrap her legs around a guy in high school, especially if she's just wearing panties!
August 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have read them and once my children are older I will let them read the series if they want.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search