More Sleep Issues

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Anna has never been a great sleeper, which I can accept. She's always woken up frequently at night, usually 2-3 times a night, sometimes more. We co-sleep, so I'm fine with that, I still get sleep and I enjoy having her in the bed with us. Once she started getting on more of a nap schedule, she was taking about 3 very short naps every day. I could tell she likely needed more sleep than that, but I couldn't get her to stay asleep for much longer, even if we held her.
Fast forward a few months to July. She started putting up a fight at bedtime. She would sometimes nurse to sleep, but usually we would put her on our shoulder and bounce her a little to get her to sleep. She started to resist this, pushing away and crying. For a while, I just laid in the bed with her to nurse her, until that no longer worked (she nurses for a few minutes then crawls off to play). Now, almost every naptime and bedtime is a complete struggle. She starts to act tired, so we pick her up, and she pushes away and puts up a fight. Put her down, she crawls away, plays a few minutes, and comes back whining to be picked up. We continue this for several hours most nights (and some naptimes) We know she's tired, I follow her cues versus having a set bedtime. We do have a bedtime routine, where she gets a bath with Abby, they both put thier PJs on, and she nurses somewhere in there. Then Abby goes to bed and Anna and I stay downstairs and I wait for her to get tired. Her naps vary, so sometimes that's right away, other times it takes an hour or two.
That's not the only problem though, now she is up several times before we even go to bed most nights. It takes us forever to get her down and 5 minutes later, she is awake. I know she can sleep in her crib, because she does at naptimes (she's been taking better naps the past few weeks, up to 2 hours sometimes). At bedtime though, we're lucky to get 30 minutes or an hour before she is up again. Even if we put her in our bed, she does the same thing. (She fell out of the bed Monday night, though, so I've avoided leaving her there alone since then) It's so fustrating, it takes forever to get her to sleep, and then she doesn't sleep very long. Every night seems to be something new, I never know what to expect out of her.
Tonight, I'm on the verge of tears. We went through the same thing we do every night for about 2 hours. She was fussy, but wouldn't settle down. I tried to pick her up, she wanted down. I put her down and 5 minutes later, she crawls back to me, wanting up. Everytime I tried to settle her to get her to sleep, she pushed away. I finally got her to settle, and took her upstairs and rocked her. I put her down, and realized the cat was in her room, and when I grabbed her, she meowed and woke her up So DH went up and put her back to sleep, where she slept for 10 minutes and was up again. It's been about 10 minutes now and I'm just waiting for her to wake up again, we'll be lucky if she sleeps for an hour. I'm so fustrated with the whole process, I wish she would just settle easily for us to put her to sleep! Even nursing to sleep is out of the question, she won't settle down long enough to fall asleep.
I'd love to think this is just a phase and will work itself out, but it only seems to be getting worse over the past few months, not better. I'm getting ready to break out the No Cry Sleep Solution, but I've read it once already and I can't remember any suggestions that will help. I know the #1 suggestion is to have a calming bedtime routine, which I feel we already do. She is just so ready to play, it's hard to keep her still to just relax and rest. Even sitting in a dark, quiet room doesn't seem to calm her down.
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any suggestions? Am I stuck just waiting this out, hoping it's a phase?

August 30th, 2009, 06:54 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I don't have any advice for you. Bella gets up a lot at night still and I know that its just her. She is still swaddled so bedtime is fairly easy b/c she cant move to play.

I hope you can get some rest and she will start sleeping better. I hope that book works for you!

September 1st, 2009, 05:27 AM
Dont know if this helps but one thing that helped me when my girl started wiggling all over the place instead of nursing to sleep was to simply pin her down. When she was smaller I had some luck holding her by her feet (well pants really). Now that she is bigger I will nurse her in the cradle position sitting on the edge of the bed and holding her that way. I have breast exposed for her to latch on and she usually stays latched. The most she can move away from me is to spin in a circle and then I just correct her position.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Super Mommy
She'll crawl off to play in a dark room?
Can you sidecar the crib?

It sounds so frustrating!! How about playing first for a little bit then doing the whole thing? Maybe thats her way of winding down?

Do you use music or any other sleep cue besides the nursing? We have a few lullaby cds that really worked very well for our sleepless wonder of a kid. It really is so so challenging to have a child that doesn't like/need sleep/ After 3 years we have completely embraced the fact that dd does not need more than 10 hours of sleep in a given day, we don't fight it anymore, but in the toddler years YOU really need the rest as much as her!! I hope we can help you stumble upon SOMETHING that works.......for a few nights anyway!
September 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Just wondering about an outdoor afternoon play time. I have heard many people say that an outdoor playtime in the afternoon really helps them be more tired in the evening. And that includes walks. If you aren't already doing that it might be worth a shot. Also maybe change up everything. If bath time is currently before bed maybe move it to morning...some times kids get more wound up by bath time. Anything that you are currently doing one by one move around until her routine is different and perhaps worked out.

I really hope something gives you a solution! Sorry I can't be of more help...

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

September 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm trying to do some new things with our usual bedtime routine to see if it makes a difference. I'm trying to cut out the playing and make it much more calm and relaxing. Tonight, she nursed right to sleep and hadn't even acted tired before that, so that's a good step. She's been up twice already, in just 2 hours, so I'm not sure what to do about that. I started using a few techniques from the NCSS, and I'm going to try it for at least a week and see if there's any improvment.

I'm still open for any suggestions! Even if I can get her to sleep a little easier, she really needs longer naps during the day and I would love if she would sleep longer than 1-2 hour stretches every night. Even if she could go back to waking a few times a night, I'm happy with that, I just want nighttime to be a little less fustrating!

September 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you mean that you get up every 1-2 hours ever night all night long?

" \m/ Now I’m riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I’ll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

September 3rd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Before bed, it's more likely to be every hour or every 1/2 hour, it varies every night. For example, last night she slept 1 hour, was up, then only slept 1/2 increments until we went to bed. I think she slept 2.5 hour stretches after we went to bed with her. Some nights, she'll wake every 2.5 hours, then every hour for several hours and sleep another 2 hour stretch before getting up for the day.

September 4th, 2009, 04:12 AM
~Valerie~
No advice here, but hopefully things get easier soon
September 4th, 2009, 05:02 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just sending hugs...no brilliant advice here as I had a 2 hr waker until after a year...so clearly I have no good "tricks"..LOL

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM
jacquelinejoy's Avatar Super Mommy
I feel for you. My one year old still wakes up every 2-3 hours every night and they only thing that will settle him is eating.

September 4th, 2009, 08:58 AM
cln1812's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I forget...how old is she?

My Ovulation Chart
September 4th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
She's 8 months

September 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She is still young Maybe it will pass with age? Maybe something is bothering her and she wakes up (a dirty diaper or what have you?), lights, noise? Stephanie cannot sleep with any kind of noise or lights. If you extinguish both then she is out like a log. That is why we don't co-sleep anymore because any movement i made woke her up. From the moment she entered her own crib in another room she slept much easily and much longer. Maybe you should try something like that? She is old enough to go to a crib now i think ......i don't really know I just feel for you.....it must be exhausting I hope it resolves itself soon!.....

" \m/ Now I’m riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I’ll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

Last edited by Ellemphriem; September 4th, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
September 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We had our first 2 good nights last week, where she slept 2 and 3 hours straight before waking up for the first time! The last 2 nights we haven't been so lucky. She was up after about 1.5 hours and then again after 1.5 hours the first night, and last night, she was up every 1/2 hour until we put her in our bed, and then she slept for about 2 hours

I've really tried everything, from adjusting the lighting (lighter, darker), the noise level, the temperature, etc. She seems to sleep better just being in our bed some nights (when we're not in it) but I always try to put her in her crib first. The one improvement we have seen is the waking after sleeping 5 minutes. We started sitting her in her room after putting her down and we would catch her as she woke up and just pat her and she'd go back to sleep. She hasn't done that in about a week, so I'm hoping she's done. She's also not fighting bedtime anymore, which I think is because of the new routine. She's been nursing to sleep every night after going into her room, and not putting up even a second of a fight most nights.

I'm feeling better about things now that she is going to bed better and not waking every 5 minutes. I'm not sure if anything we did made the difference or if it was a passing phase to start with. I'm hoping the frequent night wakings will start to improve a little too, mama needs her sleep!

September 10th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Andrea,
I so feel your pain. Josephine is MUCH like Anna in terms of sleeping (or not sleeping that is ). She'll often go to bed around 9 or so and be up a couple of times even before I go to bed around 10:30ish. Once in awhile she'll give me a four hour stretch from about 10-2ish, but it's pretty rare.

Things have been pretty bad lately and I have to say she just popped her first tooth today so I have a feeling that's what might be going on for her. Does Anna have many teeth?

It's also hard because we co-sleep, but I can't leave her in bed without me because she'll crawl right off the edge (hasn't happened yet, but I worry it's just a matter of time ).

I think it's just a matter of waiting it out. Just take it one day at a time, and hopefully one day you'll notice things are much better. Reminds me of the first few months of breastfeeding .

Anyway, thinking of you and hoping things continue to improve in small ways (glad she's not fighting bedtime and waking after 5 mins much anymore!).

Jess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search