Thought this was a great article! On carseats.

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2009, 06:47 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Saw this on the same blog with the link about the cuddle that saved the little preemie girl's life:
~ Peaceful Parenting ~: Car Seats are for Cars: Leaving Baby in Carseat Lowers Oxygen, Increases SIDS

I so wish I could have read this about a year and a half ago. I thought I was the only mom anywhere that wasn't using an infant carseat for all the reasons listed. We didn't see the point in buying a whole extra seat when convertible goes newborn through 65 lbs. and we believed in actually CARRYING our child (yes, touching him ). But we got all kinds of comments like "I don't think that's safe" (from police officer relative) to "We have never seen anyone using one of these" (from nurse at hospital).

All the while we carried or wore Hugo I felt so sorry for all of the other babies that were left languishing in seats. He had a little friend that was just like the baby in this story that would literally spend the whole evening in a carseat. I like how they described here all the experiences that the child would miss- on top of all of the health factors to consider. Food for thought!!

September 1st, 2009, 05:13 AM
I feel bit better about having been so old fashion then. I never used the car seat to carry DD, never had a swing and only got her an infant seat when it seemed that she liked it. Even though she played in it a bit she was mostly in my lap for the first 6 months of her life.

I also never had a walker nor an exercauser. I had a bit of an aversion to putting her in a "thing". We went through periods of using a wrap only, no stroller because that is what she wanted at the time.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 1st, 2009, 08:06 AM
jacquelinejoy's Avatar Super Mommy
Great blog post. I was reading it and feeling sorry for that little baby who spent the three hours strapped in

September 1st, 2009, 10:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think like anything, a good idea can become a bad one if taken to the extreme. We used an infant carrier because it was nice to be able to not wake him up when he fell asleep in it. If I went shopping it was easier to keep my sleeping baby in his carrier than wake him for a transfer - but as soon as he woke up, he wanted out.

I also used an exersaucer. Grant LOVED it. I never left him unattended with it but he loved feeling like he was standing on his own before he physically could and he jumped and laughed and played with the toys (I'd sit on the floor and play with him).

Grant did NOT like to be swaddled or confined in a wrap type carrier. He hated being worn until he was old/big enough to fit in a semistructured carrier with arms and legs out (not froggie style like a newborn). Not every child likes to be worn and the carrier is a good option for shopping carts because it allows you to be very interactive with your baby.

We definitely got use out of ours, always supported his head properly (he had torticollis so this was important from early on) and think it was great for what we used to for. We purchased a relatively inexpensive Graco and switched him to his britax when he got too heavy to carry with the carrier, and will use it for our second child when we have one.

September 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Glad to know we were doing good, too. Car seats are for travel!

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
September 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
just out of curiosity.. what type of convertible car seat do you have?? (i just bought one for my DD)

~Em

September 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM
Super Mommy
We have a britax convertible for DD, she was in a "bucket" once. I can't believe what people will do to their backs and arms carrying those carseats around, not to mention the expense of purchasing a new carseat more than once.

I agree about the context that one is used in however, it is just VERY VERY VERY esay in our culture of rush rush rush to abuse the "bucket" carseat. I recently saw a Mom at my OB office bottle feed her 6 weks old in his, never burp him, and proceed to absently rock him while she read in the office for the entire length of her visit. You really miss out on alot of valuable bonding and socializing time with your baby using the seat like this IMO and you see this ALOT...its kinda sad.
September 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

We did/do use the infant carseat and I found it very convenient when she was a newborn in the winter because I could just bundle her up in the carseat before we left home and than not have to take her out of the seat and bundle her up again when we go to the car. And it was great when we went out to eat before she was old enough to sit in a high chair so we could have a place to sit her while we ate. (Of course if she was fussy in the seat we would hold her while we were eating). When we got to where we were going, we would take her out of the seat. I would never leave her in the carseat for hours while we were visiting someone like the poor baby in the article. Now that she is bigger and the weather is nice, I almost always just take her out of the seat and carry/wear her (or use the stroller if we're going to be out for a few hours, she's getting too big for me to wear her all day long) and people ask me all the time "Where's her carseat?" I can hardly carry her in it anymore, it's so much easier to carry just her.

My mom has run a home daycare for over 20 years, and she has said that she's noticed that since infant carseat became the norm, she's noticed that babies don't hold up their head and sit up as early as they used to and she thinks it's because they spend so much more time in the carseat.

September 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
I read this article awhile back and totally agree. Car seats are for CARS. Even putting them on a shopping cart is very unsafe. Every store in my area has right on the seat a "No" sign around a pic of a car seat on a cart. It is very dangerous. Whenever I'd go out I'd put my wrap on before going out, when we get to the store pop baby in and even if he was sleeping and got woken up, he'd usually fall right back to sleep.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

September 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I think like anything, a good idea can become a bad one if taken to the extreme. We used an infant carrier because it was nice to be able to not wake him up when he fell asleep in it. If I went shopping it was easier to keep my sleeping baby in his carrier than wake him for a transfer - but as soon as he woke up, he wanted out.

I also used an exersaucer. Grant LOVED it. I never left him unattended with it but he loved feeling like he was standing on his own before he physically could and he jumped and laughed and played with the toys (I'd sit on the floor and play with him).

Grant did NOT like to be swaddled or confined in a wrap type carrier. He hated being worn until he was old/big enough to fit in a semistructured carrier with arms and legs out (not froggie style like a newborn). Not every child likes to be worn and the carrier is a good option for shopping carts because it allows you to be very interactive with your baby.

We definitely got use out of ours, always supported his head properly (he had torticollis so this was important from early on) and think it was great for what we used to for. We purchased a relatively inexpensive Graco and switched him to his britax when he got too heavy to carry with the carrier, and will use it for our second child when we have one.
I agree, I think the key word is "moderation". All baby gear can be useful, and even as an AP mom, I have gotten some use out of our infant carrier, swing, bouncer and exersaucer. I don't feel a baby should be left in them for extended periods of time though. I hate seeing babies who spend 90% of thier day in either a swing or bouncer and are only picked up to get thier diaper changed and be fed. However, I don't look down on every mom who uses them, because they can be useful, even for an AP mom.

Expecting baby #4!

September 7th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Emm17's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great article. I did use the infant carrier, but never for extended amounts of time. she was in it to travel, and that was that. I was so grateful when she started sitting up, as I have a hard time wearing her. She is quite big and I have yet to find a carrier that doesnt hurt my back/shoulders.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search