Your opinions

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2009, 05:04 AM
jacquelinejoy's Avatar Super Mommy
Ihae a one year old who is bottle fed and still wakes 2-3 times at night for a bottle. This is the only way he will go back to sleep so I feel like, if he wants it and drinks them entirely that's ok with me. My husband on the other hand says i'm spoiling him and need to change his habit. The doctors also push for babies to be off the bottle by 12-13 months. He has no interest in a bottle during the day thus only takes them at night when he wakes up. Sure, this is probably how assosiates getting back to sleep but he will be extremely unhappy if I don't give them to him and I don't want that either.

What are your opinions? Am I wrong for still bottle feeding him at night 2-3 times? I haven't found anything else that works as this seems to be what he wants. Your honest opinions are greatly appreciated.

September 7th, 2009, 06:48 AM
KimberlyD0
In my opinion yes he's to old for that many bottles at night. I tend to side with your husband on this one, well sort of. I don't think your spoiling him, but you have all fallen into a habbit, which we all know is hard to brake.

Its likely that he's assosiated that with sleep, and knowing that he gets them at night, means he doesn't need to take them during the day like he should be. Which in turn leaves him hungry at night. The cycle keeps going.

While I am not a fan of bottles after 1 you don't have to stop compleatly if they find comfort. Do what you think is best. It's more of a oral health issue for your LO then anything else. Putting them to bed with a bottle leaves milk on their teeth, doing that multiple times leaves his teeth in a sespool of cavity causing bacteria. Which is what leads to Baby Bottle teeth (rotting baby teeth) this can range from mild, to a point where teeth have to be pulled. My neighbors LO is 3.5 still has milk at night and not has 6 teeth rotting at the front of her mouth that may be pulled.

Now changing the habbit will take time. In the meantime see what you can do to clean his teeth (even if its just with a drink of water or a cloth) before he is deeply asleep so the milk isn't sitting on his teeth.

I suggest gradual weaning for him. Its very gentle and will be comforting for you both. Slowly water down his bottles at night an OZ at a time untill they're pure water, if he still wants a drink of water from the bottle thats not so bad. Water wont hurt the teeth like milk will. If you feel better doing it one at a time, then do it one at a time. This way he still has the comfort, but not the milk sitting on his teeth rotting them.

At the same time increase his intake of milk and food during the day so he's less hungry. Making it easier for you both. I wouldn't recommend cutting him off cold turkey because that would mean a lot of crying and screaming and would not be helpful to either of you.

I did this with my friends LO when he was 14 months old. He was here over night 4-5 night a week because his mommy had to work. He woke up for 3-5 8oz bottles a night (more then either of my girls did as newborns LOL) it took 3 weeks, but he was able to sleep without the bottles, and actually started eating much better.

I'm sure others will have other opinions or advice, take what works Good luck

HTH
September 7th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
Honestly I'm not too sure. My daughter just turned a year and she still nurses several times a night. I'm pretty sure it's a comfort thing but I don't plan to wean her anytime soon.

September 8th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also think it is a comfort thing you know? Stephanie just wanted 1 bottle at night and she has reduced the quantity of it herself down to 5 oz at that 1 bottle and lately she started refusing that also and sleeping throughout till the morning although she cluster feeds solids/milk before going to bed. Sometimes she does wake up once and need that 5 oz but that's about it. She also started weaning herself off of milk during the day. She drinks less and wants more solids i think. So yes i suppose i could think that your baby is eating too many oz at night. BUT on the other hand he may need them because he doesn't drink enough milk during the day? Maybe a change in his feeding patterns will allow him to fill out the milk need earlier on and leave him with one last bottle before bed or slightly after it.....? I don't agree whatsoever with watering down formula and do be careful with doing that because extremely watered down formula of many oz if consumed repeatedly in short intervals CAN cause electrolyte imbalance and that can have serious health issues. Read about it. I would say reduce the quantity slowly at night and increase it during the day. See if that works out with him yes?

" \m/ Now I’m riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I’ll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

September 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
now i'm confused. I thought i was doing good that he was no longer taking bottles during the day and loving his sippy cup. I would hate to get him hooked on the bottle during the day again. My oldest was so easy. He was completely of the bottle day and night by 13 months. anyone else want to chime in?

September 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
KimberlyD0
You don't have to use bottles during the day, you can stick with sippies and normal cups, but you'll want to try and encourage him to eat more foods, and drink more milk during the daytime hours so he doesn't need the calories at night.

Maybe you'll get lucky and weaning the night bottles gets him off bottles compleatly.
September 9th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellemphriem View Post
I also think it is a comfort thing you know? Stephanie just wanted 1 bottle at night and she has reduced the quantity of it herself down to 5 oz at that 1 bottle and lately she started refusing that also and sleeping throughout till the morning although she cluster feeds solids/milk before going to bed. Sometimes she does wake up once and need that 5 oz but that's about it. She also started weaning herself off of milk during the day. She drinks less and wants more solids i think. So yes i suppose i could think that your baby is eating too many oz at night. BUT on the other hand he may need them because he doesn't drink enough milk during the day? Maybe a change in his feeding patterns will allow him to fill out the milk need earlier on and leave him with one last bottle before bed or slightly after it.....? I don't agree whatsoever with watering down formula and do be careful with doing that because extremely watered down formula of many oz if consumed repeatedly in short intervals CAN cause electrolyte imbalance and that can have serious health issues. Read about it. I would say reduce the quantity slowly at night and increase it during the day. See if that works out with him yes?
You are absoloutly right but the LO in here is over a year old and is on milk not formula. My one year old is drinking water during the day and as far as I understand it is OK for them to drink it then. Watering down the milk is just to slowly replace the tasty milk with not so tasty water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
Honestly I'm not too sure. My daughter just turned a year and she still nurses several times a night. I'm pretty sure it's a comfort thing but I don't plan to wean her anytime soon.
My 16 month old is also still nursing 1-2x a night. In my mind the bottle and the boob are two very seperate things. For one it is easier to take the bottle away than the boob (we cosleep and I woke up to her having helped herself the other day, she was still latched on). Also I understand that the boob goes deeper into the mouth leaving less chances of the milk pooling near the teeth. According to what I have read breastfed babies rarely have problem with their teeth and those who do often have generally weaker teeth.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 9th, 2009, 06:14 AM
HurricaneLady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We cut out one of Parkers feeding recently (he was waking to nurse at LEAST 3x a night) so it took about a week and a half, BUT at the one time we chose we would only offer a sippy of water and just pat his back until he went back to sleep - was he happy? NOPE! But he didnt scream all night either it just took some dedication to it...... in a few weeks I am cutting out another one.
To me it should be a slow process, so maybe just take away one at a time.....they are not going to want the sippy of water at 1am - they want their comfort food so they will eventually stop waking up for it - but it will take at least a week of persistance to do it.
If you dont make it tramatic then your LO will be fine IMO.

Parker Hudson 11/1/08 8.14, 22.5" Frank Breech Csection/Kennedy Eve 11/18/10 9lb, 21" Natural VBAC
September 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post
You are absoloutly right but the LO in here is over a year old and is on milk not formula. My one year old is drinking water during the day and as far as I understand it is OK for them to drink it then. Watering down the milk is just to slowly replace the tasty milk with not so tasty water.
I think I should have been more clear. Yes, he is still drinking formula and wants nothing to do with real milk. I did try cutting out an ounce last night during his two feedings and he fusses a bit that the bottle ended so soon but he did go back to sleep. So, i'm hoping that I can continue to slowly cut out an ounce at a time and see if that works.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search