For all you babywearing mamas.... a question!

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2009, 01:47 PM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey all.
Just wondering what you all do to keep you and baby warm during the colder months? I live in Nevada, and it doesn't usually snow here, but it can get down into the 30's. I want to be out walking a lot! I also am going to visit family (in Michigan) with a newborn in Jan. or Feb., and plan to be wearing her a lot. I'm not sure what to use. I've seen some of the beautiful babywearing ponchos online, but they are expensive! I've also been looking at the no sew fleece patterns, but not sure if they're going to be warm enough.

Any suggestions?
September 8th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was able to fit ds, who was born in September, in the Ergo under my zipped coat for most of our first winter. I had to wear tutlenecks and scarves to keep my slightly exposed neck and chest warm but he and I's body heat kept us both pretty cozy. The Kindercoat is a decent option as well, especially if you plan on having more than 1 kid. They aren't crazy expensive, are super versatile for baby wearing and also work as a maternity coat. Downside is they aren't going to win you any fashion prizes...
September 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I put my coat on over my wrap or carrier and once I got her in, I would pull my coat around her and then put a blanket over her if I needed to. That was just to run into a store though. For a walk, I would dress her warmly underneath the carrier, but take into account our body heat, so a little less than I would if she was on her own.

Expecting baby #4!

September 9th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Super Mommy
It is winter for 6 months here. I had dd in sept, we spent the first winter out in the ergo in a snowsuit for her and me with layers ending in a size too big fleece jacket. It was just fine. We snowshoed, skiied, everything.
September 10th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I chose not to take her out the first 3 months on the very cold days so i didn't care. After the 4th month we went out anyway but we are in Greece and very cold is not sooooooo cold. I dressed her in a onsie, pair of pants above, a warm overcoat and into her mei tai.......nothing more......oh sorry a warm hat also. But there are overall snowsuits that you can buy that will definitely keep her very warm. But as my PED suggested so i will suggest to you to minimize outings with a newborn during heavily cold days because they are too tiny and totally unable to regulate temperature so why risk and/or cause possible problems. She told us to stay in if it isn't necessary to go out. Same things she said on the very very warm days that here reach up to 130 sometimes. In general to protect her from extreme weather conditions. You will have plenty of chances to go out to the snow when she gets older......well that's my opinion. And 30 F for me at least is a little too risky for a newborn.

Take care

" \m/ Now I’m riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I’ll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

September 10th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I have to agree with the last mama. I don't think it's a problem to go outside with your newborn if you keep them covered up, but I wouldn't go for walks or anything like that.

I used an over sized coat and just zipped us both in. Then I used a scarf to protect my exposed neck and a hat for my daughter. But I think I would want to cover a newborn completely with a blanket for short trips outside so their face isn't being exposed.
September 10th, 2009, 11:18 AM
For the coldest it was something like this:

Me: warm turtleneck shirt/cardigan. Some thinner long sleeve shirt underneath.
Her: onsie, pants, fleece overalls. I chose fleece because it is not so puffy.
Both of us: oversized fleece coat. Our combined body heat kept it nice and warm under the coat. If I zipped it high or pulled on it it covered her face nicely without being in her face. I dont know if it gets even colder where you are but if the above wasnt enough I'd just add clothes on us under the coat.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 16th, 2009, 08:54 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
my little guy was born in March (in PA) so it was still cool outside! I would wrap him in my Moby (or the like) and then zip my maternity coat/sweater over the both of us! Also...if it isn't big enough to zip, you can just lay a blanket over them, then put your coat on, and leave it unzipped!
Just being up against my body in the wrap kept us both nice and cozy!

September 16th, 2009, 11:22 PM
CTK3989's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would wrap my baby in a blanket and put them in the carrier (at the time I had a ring sling or a pouch) or I would wrap the blanket around the baby after baby was already in the carrier.

September 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used a sling when mine were little and just wrapped a quilt around the sling too when needed, plus warm pj's
September 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for posting this. I was coming here to ask this very question. I'm amazed that somebody hasn't designed a nicer, trendier coat then what's currently out there.
September 25th, 2009, 09:18 AM
mommabirdof4
I use a buckle tai....and this is what I use Cat Bird Baby Fleece Cover and another link is CatBird Baby Fleece Carrier Cover - Pinwheel/Raspberry

It is wonderful....It has an elastic pocket at the bottle that you put the kiddos legs in it and it keeps them nice and warm.

This is also something that is almost the same called a monkey pocket.... Monkey Pockets: Wool and Fleece Monkey Pockets
September 25th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Great links!
September 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I usually just put a hat on Bella and used my jacket (well its really a hoodie) around both of us. With my body heat and her warm clothes, she usually stayed pretty warm.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search