New Mom-Questions about AP

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Veteran
Hi everyone,
My name is Sarah and My little boy, Owen is 6 days old! My BF and I have decieded that parenting makes most sense to us the AP way, but I'm having some issues.

My Son has not been breastfeeding well because he was born tongue tied, so this has been a very challenging few days, filled with me being very emotional. We are co-sleeping, but this has made me a little sad. Because I'm so emotional, I need attention from my BF to feel better about whats going on. So, I'm feeling like co-sleeping is taking this away from me.

I want very much to continue co-sleeping but I don;t want to feel resentful about it either, Anyone have any tips to still feeling connected to your partner while co-sleeping?

And if anyone has had breatfeeing issues or tips, or has been through tongue-tied baby issues, please let me know, I could really use someone to talk to.
September 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM
electriclids's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not a parent yet, but just an idea- have you thought about something like an arms reach co-sleeper? It attaches to the bed, and the side comes down for easy transfer to bed (for breastfeeding, or whatever). That might give you the space with your BF, and still have baby close?
September 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
or side carring your crib? is a cheaper option
How we sidecarred our crib - Home

hang in there, breastfeeding should get better, has he had the tougue tie cut yet?
do stick around!
xx

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
September 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Super Mommy
Get to his Pediatrician and get his tongue cut asap!!!! You're bfing problems will be gone, he'll nurse so so much more easily. Definitely get yourself some really good nipple butter you'll be able to nurse comfortably within a week.

My dd was born tongue tie (fullly all the way to her gum line) We had her tongue cut at 5 days and it was instant comfort both for my sore boobs and her starving little self.It is incredably difficult for a tongue tie infant to get a good latch and he will only be able to get your nipple in , which is VERY painful for you.

The ped cut the tongue in the office, it didn't even bleed nor did she cry as the tissue of the frenuluem is not yet innervated in the first days, its like cutting nails for the first week or two.

Welcome to the board and congratulations on the birth of your son!!!
September 10th, 2009, 06:44 AM
The daughter of a friend of mine was tongue tied and it stretched and got better after a week or two. So hopefully things will get better soon. If your doctor hasn't said it needs to be cut yet, then it's probably not sever and will correct itself on its own. So hang in there mama! The first couple weeks of breastfeeding are always ruff!

As for co-sleeping... I co-slept with both my LOs, and infact, my 4 year old still sleeps with us! My toddler prefers her crib next to the bed though. My husband and I just find other times/places to be intimate since our bed is occupied. Then, we're content to snuggle with each other and our kids in bed. So maybe try to find some quality time with your BF when the baby is napping.

Good luck! Welcome to motherhood!
September 10th, 2009, 07:48 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When we started cosleeping I always was in the middle, so I could still cuddle with Dh AND Ds...My LO was/is tongue ties as well. If it causing issues, contact your Pedi...for us it worked out okay & even though he looked like a serpent with his little forked tongue, he was able to establish a latch & nurse & today it is very very mild as it stretched out over time, nursing can help with that. Is your LO having enough wet/dirty diapers? How is the weight gain going? Those are good indicators of whether he is even getting enough BM at this point.

GL & let us know how you are doing!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search