How do you make the baby who doesnt nap nap?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2009, 04:19 AM
So seriously!

I started at around 12 noon. Rocked her, sang and gave boob. 30 minutes later she was still not asleep so I put her in her crib. She started playing. When she has gotten bored and whiny I have tried to rock her to sleep again, no go. It is now 14.15. I think she is planning to combine naptime to bedtime. She barely gets upset at me leaving her in there, just plays and maybe whines (not crying) a bit.

Almost every nap time is like this. She will look all sleepy with fluttering eyes but will not exacly fall asleep. When I have had the energy to persist with the rocking/singing/boobing it has been an hour 15 minutes and I have been about to lose my wits and voice by the end of it.

We have been making such great progress with bedtime, have decreased it from 2-3 hours to 1-1.5. This nap fighting is really ruining the best time of the day, I'm useless in the morning so I try to do something in the afternoon. If she had fallen asleep in 15 minutes like she used to she would be waking up and we would be planning to go out to play. Instead I have a grumpy whiny baby in the other room.

Thanks.....just needed to whine.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Man if you manage to find a way let me know pls? ......she naps alright twice a day usually. 1 hour to 3 hours combined .......BUT there are days when she WON'T sleep no matter what. I don't ruin 2 hours 'trying' to make her sleep because if after 20 minutes i see resistance i take her out and do other activities. I see that much 'trying' time as time lost and in the end i am grumpy and she is EVEN grumpier. The fact is that if she doesn't nap she gets extremely fatigued and whiny and she is making me exhausted when like that. But i presume that every baby especially older ones *like yours* simply don't wanna miss on the action do they? Sooooooo many things to do, sleep isn't in those things.......i honestly have NO CLUE how you make on of the little people sleep when they must but they don't want........

" \m/ Now I’m riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I’ll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

September 14th, 2009, 05:37 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
we do not have regular nap time. Zoe naps when she feels like it. She did not nap at all for the most part in her first couple months after she was born, it was weird. She does nap in the jogging stroller, so at least when I get my workout in, i know she has a nap!

September 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellemphriem View Post
Man if you manage to find a way let me know pls? ......she naps alright twice a day usually. 1 hour to 3 hours combined .......BUT there are days when she WON'T sleep no matter what. I don't ruin 2 hours 'trying' to make her sleep because if after 20 minutes i see resistance i take her out and do other activities. I see that much 'trying' time as time lost and in the end i am grumpy and she is EVEN grumpier. The fact is that if she doesn't nap she gets extremely fatigued and whiny and she is making me exhausted when like that. But i presume that every baby especially older ones *like yours* simply don't wanna miss on the action do they? Sooooooo many things to do, sleep isn't in those things.......i honestly have NO CLUE how you make on of the little people sleep when they must but they don't want........
But you know the entire time she's either staring into space or having heavy eyelids so she looks like she is juuuuuuust about to drift off. I think it may be her molars bothering her too, she has been whinier than her normal self for a while too. I can see the tips pressing into her gums but they dont seem to be breaking through.

It is sort of time wasted. I used to be more relaxed about it but when I started cracking down on bedtime I got stricter with naptime too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
we do not have regular nap time. Zoe naps when she feels like it. She did not nap at all for the most part in her first couple months after she was born, it was weird. She does nap in the jogging stroller, so at least when I get my workout in, i know she has a nap!
I thought it was just my LO. For her second month she barely napped and fell asleep from exhaustion around 5pm. I always chalked it up to it being too hot in the apartment for her to sleep but maybe it was also due to something else too. She was a total grump during that time, I'd get like an hour of OK time out her right after she woke up and then it was full grump. I would have loved to take her out but it was a hot summer and if I tried that was when she really started crying.
It's so convenient when they fall asleep in a stroller, you just carry on with business as usual and they're getting their nap and fresh air. Nowadays she's so big though that everything is interesting and she rarely falls asleep there, even when it's her naptime and she should be tired.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I almost forgot to add, after fighting her for 2.5 hours (well not fighting for all of it since she was content to play in her crib for some of it) I got her to sleep. She slept a grand total of 45 minutes yay

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm having the same kind of day! Jonah was too tired to even eat his lunch, so I put him to bed and it took him over two hours to fall asleep! Then he woke up screaming (I'm guessing because he was hungry) not even an hour later! He's so grouchy now!

I hope our LO's get some rest soon! It does no good to reason with them, that they'll feel so much better if they just sleep for a bit. LOL I tried

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
September 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it makes you feel any better Jonah used to do this too & now he regularly takes 2-3 hour naps...MOST days..there are the odd exception, but I NEVER thought it would happen! How to make it happen it a whole different story though - IDK - eventually he just did.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Super Mommy
Here's an awesome mantra:
"its just a phase its just a phase its just a phase" Chant while gritting teeth listening to your adorable toddler take another tantrum because they ae so exhausted they can't function.

Seriously though at her age so many things effect thier sleep they are learning so much and often popping one or more molars at a time, they will often start to nap again just when you are at your wits end. Have you tried making naptime later in the day? Or maybe after taking her out of her crib NOT trying to put her back down for a good hour or so?
September 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post
I almost forgot to add, after fighting her for 2.5 hours (well not fighting for all of it since she was content to play in her crib for some of it) I got her to sleep. She slept a grand total of 45 minutes yay
My DD used to do something similar. She never was a good napper. When this started happening, it took me a while to realize I should just let her give up her nap. First, she gave up the morning nap, then by 21 months or so she had given up ALL naps! I just wanted her to sleep and be rested -- DD really WAS tired -- but she did NOT want to go to sleep at all. She would spend so much time on the verge of sleep, then wake herself up purposefully so she would not have to sleep. Perhaps your LO is telling you that she is ready to give up that nap, even if you are not It does make bedtime easier when they give up a nap!

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

September 16th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hopefully this is just a phase for you!

I know our kids are different ages, but Anna is a horrible napper. She doesn't fight naps, but 2-30 minute naps are normal for her. It's not enough sleep for her, that's obvious by her mood, but we can't figure out how to get her to nap longer. Why is sleep ALWAYS the battle?

September 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was actually glad to see Billy quit napping, it meant a bit more sleep at night.
Ian naps some days now, and others he doesnt, but if he is sleepy he goes to sleep very easily. I know its hard when theya re tired and just cant or wont sleep, but I cant tell you how much i would love a way to put ME to sleep when i'm sleepy and just cant sleep, LOL.
Good luck anyway
September 17th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My older daughter fought naps like a tiger but needed them desperately. The lucky thing with her was that she transfered beautifully from carseat to crib/bed. So we'd go for a "little drive" around the neighborhood every afternoon. Worked like a charm.

September 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaNator View Post
My DD used to do something similar. She never was a good napper. When this started happening, it took me a while to realize I should just let her give up her nap. First, she gave up the morning nap, then by 21 months or so she had given up ALL naps! I just wanted her to sleep and be rested -- DD really WAS tired -- but she did NOT want to go to sleep at all. She would spend so much time on the verge of sleep, then wake herself up purposefully so she would not have to sleep. Perhaps your LO is telling you that she is ready to give up that nap, even if you are not It does make bedtime easier when they give up a nap!
I've actually been thinking that she will give naps up early but I am hoping that she will still nap for few more months. She was never a great napper and was already down to 1 nap by 8 months. I used to be so jealous reading about all the 1+ year olds with two and even three naps lol. I desperatly needed that morning nap, I'm not a morning person and would sleep with her.

Anyway I think this is definatly relating to her getting molars. I have had some success giving her pain killer before trying and then she has napped easier. It's just that this has been going on for over 2 weeks now and I dont want to be giving her the pain killer for weeks at an end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoostergirl View Post
My older daughter fought naps like a tiger but needed them desperately. The lucky thing with her was that she transfered beautifully from carseat to crib/bed. So we'd go for a "little drive" around the neighborhood every afternoon. Worked like a charm.
That is really lucky. DD had to be majorly exhausted for that to work even as a newborn. She rarely falls asleep in the carseat though. I have scheduled trips for her naptime and it still takes her an hour to fall asleep in it.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber View Post
Here's an awesome mantra:
"its just a phase its just a phase its just a phase" Chant while gritting teeth listening to your adorable toddler take another tantrum because they ae so exhausted they can't function.

Seriously though at her age so many things effect thier sleep they are learning so much and often popping one or more molars at a time, they will often start to nap again just when you are at your wits end. Have you tried making naptime later in the day? Or maybe after taking her out of her crib NOT trying to put her back down for a good hour or so?
Sometimes naptime streaches until bit later and then it may be easier to get her to sleep. I just dont like it streaching too much since her bedtime is at 7 (she is getting tired then). I used to be more lax with the naptime to stop if she didnt seem tired and try again later. Then I started working on bedtime and to make that work I started roughly scheduling lunch-nap-playtime (outside and inside)-bedtime. It used to take us 2-3 hours to get her to sleep at night and I thought that it might be helped by making sure she wasnt overtired by making sure that she had taken a nap.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 18th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Spent an hour and a half at it today. I would have given up after the first thirty minutes (spent with fluttering eyes on and off) but I was so utterly exhausted myself that I kept on. Switched from the usual rocking to you-go-to-crib-I-go-to-sleep though. It makes her quite unhappy when I do that but I was miserably tired. After an hour of back and forth between crib and boob she decided that sleep is good. We slept together for 3 wonderful hours

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Spent an hour and a half at it today. I would have given up after the first thirty minutes (spent with fluttering eyes on and off) but I was so utterly exhausted myself that I kept on. Switched from the usual rocking to you-go-to-crib-I-go-to-sleep though. It makes her quite unhappy when I do that but I was miserably tired. After an hour of back and forth between crib and boob she decided that sleep is good. We slept together for 3 wonderful hours
Well thank goodness you at least got the three hours out of it - HUGS momma!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 19th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I got her to nap in 10 minutes

Bit hard to recreate though lol. I left her for an hour 45 mins around the time she was supposed to nap. Her dad couldnt get her to sleep so by the time I showed up she was so happy to see me, snuggle and breastfeed that she just fell right asleep. Had to share the success story though

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 19th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I got her to nap in 10 minutes

Bit hard to recreate though lol. I left her for an hour 45 mins around the time she was supposed to nap. Her dad couldnt get her to sleep so by the time I showed up she was so happy to see me, snuggle and breastfeed that she just fell right asleep. Had to share the success story though
YEAH........!!! VERY GOOOD !!!!!!! Today is one of the funny days for us! She managed to nap (sleeping now) after 30 minutes which is too much for me....she was being very hard. Since i am not used to it i break down very easily hehehehe but i understand her, her little tooth must be itchy and bothersome. I can touch it with the tip of my finger and she bites on things like no tomorrow. Now i wonder HOW long she is gonna be asleep.....hehehehehehe........oh well.......at least we have a magnificent weather (rainy) and the forest smells beautifully. I might take her for a little walk 'again' later on.......

" \m/ Now I’m riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I’ll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

September 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
Sam just wont nap at all these days. He falls asleep in my arms and then the second I put him down in his crib or playpen, he's wide awake and fighting it (he screams and cries like its the end of the world). Whats up with that? What do I do? I cant hold him all day. *sigh*

September 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM
mutleysweet's Avatar a May 2009 mommy :D
*lurking*

i know this is bad of me to say, but i'm glad i'm not alone on this napping thing. Ds who is four months old in a couple of days - fights on me on all his naps. he used to be so easy to put down before. now, it's a constant struggle. there are good days, and there are bad... i just hope it won't become worse!

anyway, thanks for letting me stop by

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search