the no cry sleep solution - anyone used the techniques?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi my name's katrina from the march 09 PR. my 6.5 month old has had major sleep regression issues for the past month (related to teething, growth spurt, and budding separation anxiety - we don't co-sleep). it takes a while to get him down for the night, and he wakes up crying every 1-3 hours. the only thing that calms him back to sleep is nursing. i nurse him every time even though i know it's mostly for comfort b/c i need to get back to sleep myself! i refuse to let him CIO, so i read the no cry sleep solution. has anyone here used these techniques? did they work for you? i'm reaching my wits end since i haven't had a sleep stretch longer than 2 hours in weeks and i work full-time. any other ideas on getting my baby to sleep better without letting him cry?
September 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just re-read it recently, because Anna is not sleeping well either. The techniques I've used so far:
Stricter bedtime routine, cutting out any distraction - she is now going to sleep much better, once we go into her room, she nurses and usually goes right to sleep

We started with phase 1 of getting her to sleep on her own, and she has consistently been sleeping better. Some nights are better/worse than others, but overall, she is doing better. Phase 2 is going to be a bit harder, so I've been putting it off. Part of me is much happier with how she is sleeping, and I assume the rest will work itself out. She still has really bad nights though, so I'm thinking once her next 2 teeth cut, we'll try phase 2 and see what happens.

I have a post farther down on the board, if you want a rundown of the problems we were having before and I think I posted an update on how things are going now.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

September 17th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She started going down to sleep and sleeping nicely when i made her a scedule of bedtime to which i stick even when there are guests (they are evicted to another part of the house and asked to keep it down).....it starts same time every hour. Nothing outside health reasons is reason to break the bedtime routine for me. Consists of one walk in the forest, home and quiet playtime, read stories, bath time, massage and relaxation, milk and most of the times she is out while drinking her milk. If not she is out the next 10 minutes max. At the appropriate time i lower the shades and close the curtains (keep light low in the room) and i never turn on the lights even though it gets dark after 7:30.....Sounds are minimal, lights non existent (she has associated dark and sleep from early on, it gets better as she grows older let's hope it continues so). I never divert the routine and that means i never take her out of the house for social reasons after 7. Happens only if i have to take her to the doc and she doesn't have another hour to put us in......She cries about 0 seconds before bed......and 0 seconds after it. Sometimes wakes up at night, turns over sleeps on her own again. VERY rarely she wakes up crying (night terrors)....suffice to go in pick her up sooth her (very quietly and without lights) and put her down. She sleeps on her own again. The fact that i left the room helped a lot, because when i slept in the same room as her i woke her up whenever i turned but i am doing it with great fear in my heart (i want to be able to hear her every move) even though she has gotten older.

Hope it helps.......btw i never read any book. Just went by instinct and did what i thought would have helped ME if i had trouble sleeping kwim ??

PS: babies LOVE predictability. Make them a routine and have them learn it. They will adore the repetition for it makes them feel secure in knowing what comes next. You cannot imagine how that can help someone/anyone moreover a baby relax......
But on a further note never take anything for granted (as i won't either), for teething or even new discoveries or changes in body (getting older) can cause a lot of disturbances. I suppose we will try to deal with the best we can when they happen

" \m/ Now Iím riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Iíll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

Last edited by Ellemphriem; September 17th, 2009 at 07:34 AM.
September 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM
thank you so much for the advice. the past week i have implemented a much stricter bedtime routine. we always had one, but it wasn't always at the same time and it wasn't as relaxing and quiet as the book recommends. i also bumped his bedtime earlier. before he would fight to stay awake til 9-10pm. now i start his bedtime routine at 7:30pm, and for 3 nights in a row he's been asleep by 8-8:30pm! he's still waking constantly throughout the night, so hopefully we can work on that next.
September 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i'm have the exact same story as katrina except we RARELY have a problem actually going down... it's the up every 2-3 hours that we are the same on. i can only get lacey to go back to sleep if i comfort nurse (but i'm also starting to think she is reverse cycling). we do co-sleep sometimes if i am completely exhausted, but it's not my preference because she is starting to move alot more and it makes me nervous.

September 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
tela ~ have you tried co-sleeping? Are you against it in anyway?
September 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayb63 View Post
i'm have the exact same story as katrina except we RARELY have a problem actually going down... it's the up every 2-3 hours that we are the same on. i can only get lacey to go back to sleep if i comfort nurse (but i'm also starting to think she is reverse cycling). we do co-sleep sometimes if i am completely exhausted, but it's not my preference because she is starting to move alot more and it makes me nervous.
well now we're in exactly the same place! for a few days, jacob has gone to sleep without so much as a little whimper or fight! i've been thrilled. but he still wakes up every 1-3 hours. again - comfort nursing is the only way i can get him back to sleep. it's exhausting working full-time and dealing with these frequent awakenings, isn't it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
tela ~ have you tried co-sleeping? Are you against it in anyway?
we have a waterbed, so that is a big no no. our master is too tiny to even put the pack n play next to my side of the bed.
September 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jacob and Lacey are so much a like!

For three nights now we have woken her up before we go to bed and bottle fed BM (4-5 oz). Turns out she chugs it. Since doing this we are suddenly back to only waking up 1x/night for just a quick snack!

I think the problem is that she is "too busy" during the day to want to eat and at bedtime she falls alseep on the breast w/o eating enough.

September 24th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayb63 View Post
Jacob and Lacey are so much a like!

For three nights now we have woken her up before we go to bed and bottle fed BM (4-5 oz). Turns out she chugs it. Since doing this we are suddenly back to only waking up 1x/night for just a quick snack!

I think the problem is that she is "too busy" during the day to want to eat and at bedtime she falls alseep on the breast w/o eating enough.
my mom suggested trying that! she BF her 3 kids and had to start giving my sister a bottle of EBM before bed to get her to sleep for longer stretches. i might give that a go tonight! although last night was our best night in nearly 6 weeks. asleep by 8:30pm, woke to eat at 12:15am and 5am, and up for the day at 6am - that part we still need to work on! i'm up anyways for work, but DH isn't too thrilled to have to get up early when i leave.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search