Routine/books/music/carrier questions

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been posting much here-been busy with my new little bundle of joy (London) who was born 6 weeks ago. I have been lurking but not posting much here. Anyway I need some ideas so.....
What are your bedtime routines?
And do you have a nap routine also-is it different?
What books do you like to read to your LO (i'm having a hard time finding AP friendly ones)?
And what music does your LO like the most?

And finally... I love my ergo but the arm straps are to big for me ( I have little shoulders apparently) and I love my wrap n wear (moby knockoff LOL) but while out and about I get it all dirty when I have to take it on and off. So someone just sent me a great looking carrier and I was wondering if any of you have tried it and what you think...or if you haven't tried it-can you check it out and give me your thoughts. Action Baby Soft Structured Buckle Carrier
Thanks in advance for the help ladies!
September 19th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi love, Congratulations on your beautiful baby.....

ok routine? No way am i gonna suggest ANY kind of routine so early for your baby. Do it by demand all the way. Go whenever he needs u, feed whenever he needs you, wake up when he does and sleep when he does. I never tried ANY kind of routine with Stephie before she was 5-6 months and even then i was highly lenient. Remember so early on you fix your routine according to baby's needs...not baby's needs to any routine you might put. Might sound a little thick from me, but that is my opinion. Until Stephie was 4 months old she slept ON me not next to me, and i had no life apart from fulfilling her needs..... I am happy i did that because she is a very happy/relaxed baby now.....When she becomes 6 months old ask 'me' in particular the question again and i'll tell u what routine we have especially for bedtime.

I read pictures books to her with animal characters mainly, and puzzles with 4 pieces each. i didn't know there where AP friendly or not baby books out there...... anyway.......

I am a hard metal head so baby listens to hard rock on occasion and she is very used to it. But i prefer to put her Rossini.....and ludovico Einaudi....(contemporary classic composer) NOT because i want to instill classical music to her so much but more because those two composers relax her. She dances to Einaudi which is so cute..... (well her try of dancing may not be what we think but it's dance anyway). I never went out of my way to find her music. She listened to whatever i listened from belly. That meant hard rock/metal *when in belly* and classical ......she still does

And i have two different mei tai to carry her (we both love it and it is VERY easy on my back). She is 20 pounds and i can walk cross country with her (very steep uphills and downhills) for more than 1 hour 45 minutes. THEN i start feeling some back pressure. I am gonna suggest mei tai all the way.

Wishes for the best and always health to your little miracle.

" \m/ Now Im riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Ill cross the line forevermore \m/ "

Last edited by Ellemphriem; September 19th, 2009 at 04:27 AM.
September 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I worded that wrong LOL I in NO way dictate what he should be doing and I do totally go by his schedule i;m very Very Pro following his cues! (we even are even part-time ECing by following his cues) ....but when he is getting tired at night when he normally starts sleeping longer periods (about 10-11pm) I take him to the toilet, change his diaper, do his wipe down (clean off the sticky neck LOL), change him to his nighttime sleeper then feed him/rock him till he is asleep........so right now thats our "routine" but he tells me when he is ready to start. Do you think I'm doing to much at bedtime?

mei tai---i see there are a few types---what kind do you like?

thanks
September 20th, 2009, 04:53 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't ever seen that kind of carrier & cant' wrap my head around how it works from the picture. I am teeny tiny & my Ergo fits fine (and I have teeny shoulders...) so I am not sure if you got a larger size maybe or aren't adjusting it down enough? Are you clipping the chest clip & tightening that as well? I would call the company as they are very helpful. I also didn't' have it when Ds was a newborn & I have heard a few moms complain that the fit isn't great until about 15lbs or so...so maybe that is it? You are using the newborn insert right?

Other than that I don't have a lot to offer - we are pretty go with the flow here...no major routines. As far as AP friendly books - we just read a lot of Dr Seuss - he loves it!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM
mommabirdof4
we have zero routine for the kids so I am no help...they sleep when they want to for night time and nap time.

I have a buckle mai tai that is pretty much the same as the carrier that you posted...I will have to get a picture in the next couple of days. It is like a mai tai but has buckles. I am not good at tieing a regular mai tai. I love mine and have used it since lil Jimmy was around 2 months....I wore it while pregnant as much as I could and now I wear it almost every day with JoJo. I love it and she does too. I sure wish I had a Ergo but there is no way we could afford one...I need another carrier so I can wear both kiddos...it would make my life so much easier.

We just read kids books...lot of word and picture books for lil Jimmy. My DH reads his star wars books to the kids...lol

JoJo needs rescueing from my DH I will have to finish this later!!!!!!!
September 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What are your bedtime routines? After dinner, we take both of the girls upstairs and give them baths. Then we go to Abby's room and put on thier pajamas, brush thier hair and we read stories together. Abby usually nurses, and then I take Anna into her room and she nurses and goes to sleep. DH stays with Abby and puts her to bed. It's not an extensive routine, but we keep it the same every night. We keep the lights low (just lamps or nightlights) and the girls are active, but we keep things quiet overall.

And do you have a nap routine also-is it different? No, but she doesn't have a problem going down for a nap usually

What books do you like to read to your LO (i'm having a hard time finding AP friendly ones)? We just read kid's books

And what music does your LO like the most? Abby loves kids songs, she has a CD set that we got as a baby shower gift and she loves the songs on it.

I have a BabyHawk mei tai that I love! I'm big though, 5"9 and I'm not a small build, so I can't say for sure if it would work for a small frame.

September 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What are your bedtime routines? I've never set a routine or schedule but I always looked at the girls behaviour and went with that. I noticed that Maddie is sleepy around 7:30pm now so I give both girls a bath around 6:30pm after we've had dinner and after I've nursed Maddie (she cluster feeds in the early evenings). DH cuddles and puts Mak down and I cuddle and nurse Maddie until she falls asleep. Nothing really fancy and we've been following this "routine" since she was 3 weeks old except she was going down around 9pm and as she's gotten older the bedtime got pushed back since she gets sleepier sooner.

And do you have a nap routine also-is it different? No real routine with Maddie. She falls asleep around 9:30am and 1:30pm every day like clockwork. I don't force naps and just go with her cues for when she's sleepy. She's pretty easy to get down for naps. I do have a routine with Mak though. After lunch at noon we go upstairs for cuddles and a story. I have both girls in my arms as we snuggle in the recliner. After the story I put Mak in her bed and kiss her. I leave saying sweet dreams and she rolls over and goes to sleep.

What books do you like to read to your LO We read a lot of Robert Munch, Dr. Suess, board books, and anything else that I've bought or taken out from the library. I didn't really know there were AP children's books.

And what music does your LO like the most? The girls go to sleep listening to Rock-A-Bye Baby CD's. We listen to Bob Marley, The Beatles, U2, and Coldplay versions of those CD's. I also personally like Mozart and Bach so they listen to that too. Right now Mak's all about Muppets from Space (her favourite movie and it's bumped our Elmo in Grouchland). So LOVES the soundtrack to that movie which just so happens to be 1970's funk music (i.e. Earth, Wind & Fire, KC and the Sunshine, etc).

As for babywearing...I can't live without my Moby right now and I hate putting it on when we go someplace and getting it dirty, so I put it on before we leave the house so it's ready to go when get there. I also just keep it on until we get home and wear it in the car. It saves time and keeps it from touching the ground. I just bought a Beco Butterfly tonight and can't wait for it to arrive. I love the Moby but I want something that I can wear on my back with ease and something that DH will be able to put on himself since he's scared of the Moby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search