My 29 month old son is still nursing don't know if I can wait for him to self ween

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Marley'sMommy's Avatar Veteran
Hi Mommies,
I thought I could go all the way with nursing..and I can. I am just wondering if there is a healthy way I can help him along. Marley co-slept with my husband and I up until his second birthday or so. Now he sleeps in a crib next to our bed. Morning nursing is the one that is the most challenging. He wakes up at around 6 or 7 in the morning ( in bed by 10pm)and climbs into bed to nurse. I would be happy if he would lie back down and sleep more (tall order I know).
Most nights he goes to bed without nursing or little 5 min nurse cuddle session.
Afternoons he nurses a little bit before his nap. So alot of his nursing is tied to sleeping.

How long did your child nurse...did they self ween?
Is there a way to help him along?
Any advise or stories are most appreciated.

Thanks
Marley's Mommy
September 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ALL I can offer is hugs hun...my 30 month old Ds is still nursing & no end in sight - he still asks to nurse A LOT. Sometimes it is pretty taxing, but most days I can just roll with it. You might try out the nursing past one year board as well for this question if you haven't already. I think each child is pretty unique as to when they self wean. The only weaning advice I knwo is to target one nursing at a time that you want to eliminate, work on skipping that one & stick with that until that one is no longer missed & then try dropping another.

GL whatever you decide to do!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 19th, 2009, 03:50 AM
First great job nursing for such a long time. You have really done a great thing for Marley.

Just one thing popped into my mind, have you discussed weaning with him? I dont really know how smart 29 month olds are already so I might just be giving you a silly advice. Thing is that I remember some mama (forgot how old her LO was) really discussing weaning and preparing her LO for it. I think they did that for quite a while but when they finally had the final nursing session the LO was very ready for it.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 19th, 2009, 06:14 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My older two breastfed until age 3. By that point theyw ere old enough to discuss weaning and I resorted to bribery - they got a sticker every day with out breastfeeding and 2 weeks later a big toy. Maybe not the best solution, but mine were never self weaning. DD was almost 3 1/2 at which point it just started to feel too old to me. DS was only a bit past 3 but I was pg again as well.
Ian is only 13 months so we have a long way to go.
Dont count on weaning meaning sleeping in though, he will most likely just get up to play around the same the time! Sorry I cant be more help, the only other thing I can advise is trying to cut out one feeding at a time. Dont let me discourage yo on self weaning though, your son may very well self wean at some point, mine just didnt, just as they didnt go to sleep in cars like other babies etc...
each child is different as mentioned by other posters.
September 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post
First great job nursing for such a long time. You have really done a great thing for Marley.

Just one thing popped into my mind, have you discussed weaning with him? I dont really know how smart 29 month olds are already so I might just be giving you a silly advice. Thing is that I remember some mama (forgot how old her LO was) really discussing weaning and preparing her LO for it. I think they did that for quite a while but when they finally had the final nursing session the LO was very ready for it.
I have mentioned to Ds that someday he isn't going to nurse anymore & he just laughs at me....LOL

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 19th, 2009, 01:34 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolis View Post
Hi Mommies,
I thought I could go all the way with nursing..and I can. I am just wondering if there is a healthy way I can help him along. Marley co-slept with my husband and I up until his second birthday or so. Now he sleeps in a crib next to our bed. Morning nursing is the one that is the most challenging. He wakes up at around 6 or 7 in the morning ( in bed by 10pm)and climbs into bed to nurse. I would be happy if he would lie back down and sleep more (tall order I know).
Most nights he goes to bed without nursing or little 5 min nurse cuddle session.
Afternoons he nurses a little bit before his nap. So alot of his nursing is tied to sleeping.

How long did your child nurse...did they self ween?
Is there a way to help him along?
Any advise or stories are most appreciated.

Thanks
Marley's Mommy
Congratulations on breastfeeding to this point! My dd is still bfing too with no end in sight. (That's hard most days for sure. I read as a coping tool but I know meditation can help too.) If your goal is to encourage some more weaning: WEANING: WHAT DOES IT MEAN? might help.

Good luck!
September 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My DD turned 3 in July and is still nursing. However, she just nurses once a day (before bed), and is starting to get to the point that she doesn't ask every night, anymore. When I was pregnant and right after DD#2, we transitioned her out of nursing to sleep. That has helped greatly, I don't mind her nursing, even a few times a day if she wants, since she doesn't need it to go to sleep anymore.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search