How long did you co-sleep?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello ladies!

For the first month or two, Lacey slept in a bassinet near us... we then transitioned her to her crib and then when she woke up (only 1x / night) we would bring her to our bed to co-sleep.

Now (5.5 months) she is getting bigger and rolling over and I don't think either of us our sleeping well. For the past month now she has been waking up anywhere from 2x-4x / night!! We are at our wits end!

I am thinking of purchasing the Arm's Reach co-sleeper for our room. It's a lot of money that I hate to spend (since we have a bassinet and a crib) but I just don't know what else to do. DH and I both work full time and we all need to get sleep!

I don't believe in sleep training or CIO. We are being very patient with Lacey and allowing her room to grown and be comfortable on her own. She goes down to bed very well without a fuss between 7:30 - 8pm but is up again by 10:30/11 and ever two hours or so after.

She is exclusively breast fed but mostly through a bottle. We've been concerned about the amount she is receiving so I only BF 1-2x / day.

I'm looking forward to your advice and suggestions!

Thanks!

September 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
We transitioned Lincoln to his crib when he was 7-8months old. He was like you described your daughter, very restless. I did the no cry sleep solution with him and it took A LOT of work (we also don't believe in CIO). I rocked him for hours some nights, but after about a month he was comfortable enough to go to sleep on his own. Good luck!

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
September 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At this age I am not sure I would recommend the arm's reach - it isn't recommended for a child that can get up on all fours or pull up...as it isn't tall enough around the edge. Maybe try side-carring a crib? That is what we did & it worked out great. There was about a month or so adjustment time, but then it was great & we are still cosleeping (HAPPILY) at 2 1/2.

How we sidecarred our crib - Home

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 19th, 2009, 09:52 PM
jacquelinejoy's Avatar Super Mommy
We are still co-sleeping at 13 months. Ditto, to the sidecaring of the crib.

September 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
still bedsharing with my 4 year old and 2 months old, DH bedshares with 6 year old DS LOL. We dont mind, I am sure my 4 and 6 year old would sleep on their own if they got the bunkbeds they really want, DH doesnt want to get it, so this is what we do for now. Two oldest slept by themselves once they got bunkbeds. Good luck.

September 20th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She decided she wanted her own space when she was 5 months old. That is when i decided i'll sleep in the same room with her but not co-sleep. She stretched all over her little bed and when i was with her she was heavily fussy and woke up every 2 hours or so....not just for feeding, but mostly because i woke her up. Kept it up till she was 8-9 months (in the same room), then heavily at heart i decided to put her in a large bed/crib in her own room. That was about it. She had already stopped waking up every two hours and did only 1 night waking from month 6. When she was transitioned in her own LARGE space she settled beautifully and now goes to bed 7:30-8:00 every night and wakes 7:00 in the morning and does not wake up at all at night (although i am quite ready with milk in case she does-rarely). She doesn't fuss at all before bed, nothing after going to bed, and she has a nice sleep throughout. She does wake up in between and on occasion, she just fusses a little turns this way and that and is asleep in max 10 minutes again. So i suppose that REAL co-sleeping ended for us when she was 4 months old, and it was her own decision you might say. I was much more reluctant leaving her alone than she was being alone

" \m/ Now Iím riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Iíll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

September 20th, 2009, 04:40 AM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the advice!

September 20th, 2009, 05:31 AM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
Ben starts the night in his own bed (mattress on the floor in his nursery), then I co-sleep with him when he wakes up. Ben sleeps much better when he's next to me than when he is alone, so we all get a lot more sleep.

I'd recommend side-carring a cot, or using a mattress on the floor. The side-car cot was very handy and convenient for a while, but once he started crawling I became nervous of letting him sleep alone in it while I was downstairs, so we moved him to a mattress on the floor in his nursery.
September 20th, 2009, 09:43 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
We are at 26 months of co-sleeping and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I hope you find a solution that works for your family. Cheers!
September 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All of my kids, except Sebastian, moved to sleeping in their own bed by a year old. Sebastian still has reflux issues and prefers to co-sleep. He'll move to his own bed when he's ready. I have a pack n play for him when he takes naps, or I'm not sleeping with him.

September 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
We are at 26 months of co-sleeping and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I hope you find a solution that works for your family. Cheers!
Us too! Or I should say, we did not begin co-sleeping full time until DD was 10 months or so. We will let her decide when she is ready to be in her own bed. We all love it!

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

Last edited by MommaNator; September 20th, 2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
September 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
OMG! I love the the crib conversion. Going to share that with DH We have been using the snugglenest which i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. However, this weekend we went away and brought our cosleeper bassinet, never used it before. Well, anywho, DD slept like a champ, I am talking, better than she has EVER EVER EVER slept i think DH's tossing and turning wakes her. So tonight she will be moved to the cosleeper, but I know she will outgrow that and the sidecar crib is fabulous.

September 20th, 2009, 04:30 PM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
we sidecar and its fab! so yes cosleeping at 22 months here

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
September 20th, 2009, 05:48 PM
FOr those afraid to sidecar & leave a bay alone...we used a mesh guard rail shoved down between the mattresses & a baby monitor with no issues. I of course came running the second I heard any vocalizations or noise...but never once did he come over it. Just a thought!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM
cln1812's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are still cosleeping with DD (21 months), just in our bed. We have a king-sized bed so plenty of space and she tends to be a sound sleeper (unless sick or waking wanting the boob and I'll just pop her on it). There was a more restless period for her around the time you mentioned, and I did consider ending cosleeping, but just as quickly (it seemed to come on right before DD started crawling), it passed for DD and we started sleeping better again. Even now, I notice she still gets restless around developmental milestones.

Around growth spurts and developmental milestones or teething they will wake more frequently in the night anyway.

My Ovulation Chart

Last edited by cln1812; September 20th, 2009 at 07:50 PM.
September 20th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would definitely not recommend getting the AR co-sleeper now. DD started pulling to standing at 7 months and we had to stop using it then. The lip just isn't high enough, and barely came up to the top of her legs, so she could have easily fallen over the side. Now I use a bedrail, and we have a king-sized bed so she has her own space in the bed. She still wakes frequently at night, every 3 hours or so, but she sleeps better with us, than on her own.

Anna is 9 months now, and we plan to co-sleep for as long as she wants to and benefits from it.

Quote:
FOr those afraid to sidecar & leave a bay alone...we used a mesh guard rail shoved down between the mattresses & a baby monitor with no issues. I of course came running the second I heard any vocalizations or noise...but never once did he come over it. Just a thought!
So, you put a guardrail between the crib and your bed? Did you remove it at night or keep it up?

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

September 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I would definitely not recommend getting the AR co-sleeper now. DD started pulling to standing at 7 months and we had to stop using it then. The lip just isn't high enough, and barely came up to the top of her legs, so she could have easily fallen over the side. Now I use a bedrail, and we have a king-sized bed so she has her own space in the bed. She still wakes frequently at night, every 3 hours or so, but she sleeps better with us, than on her own.

Anna is 9 months now, and we plan to co-sleep for as long as she wants to and benefits from it.

So, you put a guardrail between the crib and your bed? Did you remove it at night or keep it up?
Depends...both. LOL If he wanted over after I came to bed, it was pretty easy to pull out, so I did..but often I just leave it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search