Spanking and IQ level

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
lmarie13's Avatar Super Mommy
I thought this was very interesting.
Spanking May Lower Kids' IQs - Yahoo! News

Lisa

Cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, natural birthing Mama of 2
September 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
KimberlyD0
my brother and I were both spanked and we both score higher then average on IQ tests.. doesn't ring true here. I doubt it very much.
September 25th, 2009, 09:00 AM
lmarie13's Avatar Super Mommy
It may not be true for every child. But I do agree with this statement:

"If you spank, you teach your child that hitting is the way to deal with a situation," she said. "But if you use other methods of discipline, you can begin teaching your child higher-level cognitive skills, self-control, cause-and-effect and logical thinking."

Cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, natural birthing Mama of 2
September 25th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I AGREE 100% on what it teaches the child, dunno about the IQ level though because there are very few IQ tests that REALLY show IQ out there and those belong mostly to the army. Mass production IQ's check on levels of knowledge rather than perception (which is what IQ is all about). BUT what spanking teaches our children is unforgivable. Also never really trust mainstream statistics considering IQ mediums and high's and so on because IQ statistics vary from country to country also (knowledge factor and NOT perception again). For example average US IQ is 90. Average italian IQ is 120....i mean whatever......forget it, but forget spanking also because it DOES teach your child that using physical force can solve issues....bad start. I was never spanked and i am dead against it.

" \m/ Now Iím riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Iíll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

Last edited by Ellemphriem; September 25th, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
September 26th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
A 2.8 point difference is probably within the standard error of the study too, assuming it was a real study. There are many reasons not to spank but IMO trying to tie everything back to IQ isn't the way to go. There are other qualities besides "smart" we should be striving for in our children - like compassionate, empathetic, happy. "Smart" is not everything.

September 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've read other studies with similar conclusions. A major factor being that parents who use reason and logic to discipline, in effect teach reason and logic. Some of the other studies found parents who did not spank had children with far higher vocabularies, likely as a result of being spoken to more etc...
I also firmly believe frequent spanking especially of young children inhibits the natural desire to explore which of course would have a negative impact on intellectual development.
The problem is you cant completely determine how much of the effect is caused by the fact that parents with higher iq's and more education are far less likely to spank, so again its hard to seperate genetics from environment.
While I am against putting to much focus into IQ, or creating a little genius, I do think we all want our children to reach their own full potential in terms of iq, so I appreciate studies like this being shown. I also agree though, happiness is far more important, but then I think most children are happier feeling totally safe and secure in their homes and with their family, which is one of my major reasons for not spanking. I dont want my children to ever be afraid of me, but rather to always feel they can trust me and turn to me if they need me.
September 29th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Tofu Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie13 View Post
It may not be true for every child. But I do agree with this statement:
"If you spank, you teach your child that hitting is the way to deal with a situation," she said. "But if you use other methods of discipline, you can begin teaching your child higher-level cognitive skills, self-control, cause-and-effect and logical thinking."
There was a study done quite a few years back, which analyzed how IQ affects self-esteem. While IQ had very little effect on self-esteem, the reverse was true; poor self-esteem negatively impacted reading comprehension, as well as math scores (ie. problem solving). And we do know that spanking can damage a child's self-esteem. So while the connection between spanking and IQ isn't linear, I believe there is indeed a connection.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search