An AP Magazine

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went to meet a potential midwife yesterday. I'm not so sure she's the one. But, she gave me some free magazines, and at first I thought "great.. here we go with "Parenting" again!" but it turned out to be a very AP magazine! It's called "Mothering." It talks about babywearing and cloth diapering and night time parenting, and all of the things that I *never* see in magazines (unless it is in a negative light, or a very poorly written article)

I just wanted to share. I think it is online, too

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
September 25th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep...I saw this mag at my midwife office as well! It was great to read. I never did subscribe. But I liked seeing a natural minded mag!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
September 26th, 2009, 04:02 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I subscribe, it is soooo AP. They have many articles on co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. I love it!!! I originally found it while pregnant at the local natural food store. 2 issues ago was the BEST breastfeeding article ever. (Breastfeeding in the land of Ghengis Kahn, or something like that)

September 26th, 2009, 05:32 AM
KimberlyD0
My midwife gave it to me as well. To be honest though I threw it out. I didn't like it. Glad you do though. I'm very picky
September 26th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
My midwife gave it to me as well. To be honest though I threw it out. I didn't like it. Glad you do though. I'm very picky
I think the reason people who are big into natural parenting like it is because they are very picky too - just maybe about different things than you are.

September 26th, 2009, 05:23 PM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa74 View Post
I think the reason people who are big into natural parenting like it is because they are very picky too - just maybe about different things than you are.

I don't like anything extream. It drives me nutts.
September 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM
~Valerie~
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
I subscribe, it is soooo AP. They have many articles on co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. I love it!!! I originally found it while pregnant at the local natural food store. 2 issues ago was the BEST breastfeeding article ever. (Breastfeeding in the land of Ghengis Kahn, or something like that)
I LOVE mothering ! and that bf article was just beautiful
September 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I like it because it's nice to read information about stuff I WANT to know about parenting. I used to read those other magazines they gave out for free, and just come away angry with the info that I just fed my brain. I like that this magazine had tips from other mothers about getting dad to wear baby, and information on how to do research about vaccines, and ads for cloth diaper companies that I actually want to know about. I didn't see it as being extreme, but a good source of information that I couldn't find with other parenting magazines. I think it's human nature to seek out media sources we can relate to.

It's okay if you don't like it though. If we all liked the same magazines, we wouldn't have such a great selection at the news stands

Click the blinkies!

September 27th, 2009, 06:49 AM
KimberlyD0
I thow them all away lol they're ALL garbage.
September 27th, 2009, 07:30 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
I thow them all away lol they're ALL garbage.
You mean ALL magazines? I guess I just don't get it. It is basically stuff on BF, colseeping, gentle discipline, baby wearing...where is the "garbage" in that?

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 27th, 2009, 08:36 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck12 View Post
You mean ALL magazines? I guess I just don't get it. It is basically stuff on BF, colseeping, gentle discipline, baby wearing...where is the "garbage" in that?
i love magazines i do not have time for books. Mothering magazine is such an incredible magazine, it's the only parenting/baby magazine i can identify with and the only one we subscribe to. It is so pro-AP, unlike the other mags out there that seem to have monthly articles on CIO and how great it is and necessary it is!

September 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I LOVE Mothering! I got the free online subscription when they had the promotion and I'm thinking of getting a print subscription because it's easier for me to read. I've had a Parenting subscription for several years and the more I settle into my own style of parenting, the more it bugs me. My MIL also got me a subscription to Cookie and I have put the last 3 issues in the recycle pile without even reading them. It's so nice to see a magazine with information that I'm acutally interested in!

Expecting baby #4!

September 28th, 2009, 11:57 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I LOVE mothering. I found it when Addi was about 8 months old and fell in love. I have had a subscription ever since and am about to order some back issues too. Its nice to have a magazine that talks about stuff I AM interested in.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

September 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck12 View Post

All Parenting type magazines.

I don't need or want a magazine to know how to parent. They're all garbage because if you don't do everything 100% their way (no matter the type) then you not "good enough"

I am not a parenting "type" I follow many AP practices, but not all and I do find somethings about AP to be extream. Same as I do for some TP types.

Its a personal thing.

I'm glad others like them though, they're great for some I am sure. Just not me. After 4 years as a parent I got tired of the crap out there.
September 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Tofu Bacon
I guess it depends on what someone is looking to glean from a magazine; I have a foodie magazine to spark meal ideas and for new techniques, not tell me how to cook. Its a veg'n magazine because others would be useless to me. Similarly, I have a parenting magazine that matches my style, and I enjoy the articles; its support for how I parent, not telling me how to parent. Personally, I think its important to have that sense of community no matter how long I've been a parent. Not everyone needsa magaine to feel that sense of... edification? And that's fine.

The one I have is Bella, which is similar to Mothering; my midwife office gives out trial subscriptions.
September 28th, 2009, 11:36 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think this still works---
for a free year digital subscription :
Use code CMDCD on this site- https://www.qfie.com/mmag/clsMMnewor...ubType=digital
September 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got the free digital subscription and will probably renew when the time comes. I like the info in it

October 1st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Resi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love Mothering and have been reading it for a few years now. They have a website with a AP message board too. You can even find other moms in your area that share the same parenting style.
October 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
i got the free online sub when it was going and I loved the article a couple of moths ago about the breastfeeding in mongolia... its just fascinating to see how other cultures live.
i hate all the ads though! lol! esp as they dont' apply as i'm from the uk!

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!
October 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
I just signed up for the free online subscription (thanks Angela!) but I'm finding it hard to read the tiny text. I am enjoying the articles though. I might have to get a paper subscription to save my eyes (sadly not the trees ) I wish there was a way to magnify it.

Amelie, I rather like the ads. Almost every magazine is loaded with ads, and in fact the success of a magazine can be evaluated by the number of ads in it. I love seeing ads for fuzzybunz instead of pampers! It makes me feel like the world is right

Click the blinkies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search