Hello!

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Hi ladies! I know I haven't been around much but things have been crazy busy. Well, I thought you'd get a kick out of some of the "advice" I was given this past weekend. I think I gave a couple of parents a heart attack at my high school reunion when I told them I was still breastfeeding Samantha. Even after I told them about her cow's milk intolerance and that I was content with breastfeeding, out came the advice.. The best line I got was that I just needed to go away for a weekend. I thought it was freaking hilarious to hear this. Anyway, that night was a milestone for us. It was the first time that she didn't go to sleep with boobie &/or me. Her and her dad had an awesome day of bonding but she still was crying quite a bit. I had a couple of drinks at the beginning of the night so I was expressing like crazy all night. Well I did end up with a plugged duct. I totally didn't think they'd be that painful. All Sunday I was trying to get Samantha to suck it out but it wasn't happening and it was getting more and more painful. I was pretty worried but Sunday night she got it! It was instant relief.

More things that were interesting... I was asked at one point what I'll do if I do back to work. I said I'd probably just end up volunteering with whatever she does. Right away a childless friend piped up: "as a teacher let me tell don't be a helicopter parent." Then she went on about her crap.. Oh my lord it was insane!

That night at the bar I was chatting with another friend who is a mother who is also a kindergarden teacher. It was night and day different with her so I felt immediately safe telling her about the previous conversation. She laughed because she knew a few teachers like that. She gently would tell them how hurtful that can be to a parent and said it's been helping those teacher understand parenting in general better. Needless to say, I didn't know because I don't have any kids in the schools yet, how judgmental some teachers can be. I'm grateful for that second conversation with that friend at the bar. It really helped me see what the future holds with yet more parenting advice and it allowed me to reconnect with my old school friend at a whole different level.

So I thought that weekend was an eye opening one at the level of parenting so I thought I'd share.

Cheers!

Michelle

Last edited by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.); September 30th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
September 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hello stranger, long time no see.

Yea plugged ducts are a pain (no pun intended lol). I used to be so paranoid when I first got them (got them with some frequency at some point) but found that if I got the milk behind the plug somewhat drained (would get a smaller bump for a while) that it never turned into a bigger problem. Think the longest it took to clear was 3 days. Anyway if you get one again or hear of someone with one I found it most helpful to massage it while DD is breastfeeding. Hurts like a whoa though.

Sucks that your teacher friend was so judgemental. I think that any teacher would be lucky to have you help out in the classroom.

It's excellent that you were talking about still breastfeeding Samantha. Some people may have been weirded out but the more we talk about it the more people get used to the idea.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 30th, 2009, 01:07 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Hi Michelle!! Its great to hear from you. I often wonder how you are doing. Sounds like the night out was a good thing for you. Sorry that some of the people were critical.

Hope to see you around some more!!!

September 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I have had a few blocked ducts in my short time so far of breastfeeding and take lecithin and (knock on wood) have been ok since.

Sounds like you had an interesting time! My next reunion is 2011, so I have some time until then

October 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM
mamatomaica's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mamatomaica
wow what a milestone her going to sleep without you!! we're waiting on that one! lol!
i've read somewhere with a blocked duct if you face her chin in the direction of the duct it helps it drain faster (could make for interesting positions of feeding though!) no idea if it works! but its worthkeeping in mind!
xx

Beautiful Siggy by Claire!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search