potty learning successes

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I just have to post about today, it was so great in the PL department. We have been PL for almost a year, I started when she started solids. I originally wanted to EC but was too overwhelmed by everything to add that on top. Early PL was my compensation plus someone told me that if I gave her potty opportunities from early on that she'd complete PL sooner. So for the past years she has sat on the potty after every meal, nap and at any other diaper change. If she goes great, if not then no prob. Her reward for going potty is to have underwear on, she gets to keep them until she has an accident. I switch her to diapers at that point mainly because I dont feel like cleaning many accidents. Keeps it easy and stress free for both of us this way.

This morning she stayed dry from 7.30-12.30. She peed after breakfast, insisted I take her to the potty mid morning (only the second time she does this and the first time I failed to understand her) and then peed after lunch. She then went on to pee in a corner and I didnt even see her do it. I just noticed that she was wet lol. I changed her and then went looking for the wet spot while asking her about it. I didnt think she understood but she went to the spot and splashed a bit with the pee for me.

This kiddo is completely nonverbal btw. She asked to go potty by asking me to pick her up, going back down and then asking to be picked up again. The first time she did it few weeks back I was like what's up kiddo but this time I figured to try the potty. I think it's sort of cute, her way of saying "quick mommy carry me to the potty".

Anyway she was in diapers until 3.30pm when I caught another pee during a diaper change. A bit over an hour later she was still in her undies and playing on the floor and I started to get the feeling that it'd be a good time to potty her. Sure enough she went again for me.

I think it would be really great if it just continues to go from here but if this is just one great day with many less great then that's OK. I think she is really starting to like feeling dry. We cloth diaper so she really feels it when she is wet.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
October 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
It's so refreshing to read about positive learning instead of forced training ~ WTG MAMA!
October 9th, 2009, 11:27 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's awesome. I think we are ages away from that. We were doing a lot like you were in the beginning & it went okay - but then he became resistant to even wanting to set on the potty & runs away when asked - so I backed off it... Not sure when we might be in a mood to try again, but we have a 6 months stand off going on now. BLEH! LOL

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck12 View Post
That's awesome. I think we are ages away from that. We were doing a lot like you were in the beginning & it went okay - but then he became resistant to even wanting to set on the potty & runs away when asked - so I backed off it... Not sure when we might be in a mood to try again, but we have a 6 months stand off going on now. BLEH! LOL
I was lucky that she never got into escaping the potty much. I got really nervous about it when she started to move more. She would mostly escape it when I went out of the room to look for a new diaper for it but would still sit for a bit if I engaged her. What really helped us was giving her the sippy of water. Now her fave thing with it is to pour it on the floor which is just fine because it has a drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
It's so refreshing to read about positive learning instead of forced training ~ WTG MAMA!
Thanks, I like to share because I dont think many are trying potty learning early but then I always worry that they think I'm nuts for doing so. We are definatly doing this at her pace. We've been at it for a year already (actually more since I started sporatically at 3 months ) so what's another year lol .

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search