Toddler eating Issues!!! any insight would be appreciated(X-posted)

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM
mommabirdof4
Okay...Lil Jimmy is almost 16 months now. From birth he has GI issues...I had the same issues but much worse. He had a lot of swallowing tests and other test when he was younger and was followed by a Ped GI. We were told that he just was born with a delayed GI system...that is didn't mature all the way in the womb...and that it sounded like that was my issue as a child. She we were always told he may need more nutrients because his body wasn't good at getting it out of his food. I was pretty sure that was true because he always ate more BM/formula in a day then average.

He started solids at around 8 months. We offered at 6 months and 7 months but he had no interest what so ever. 8 months he ate a little but we really didn't care how much he ate...he had a little food ever few days. He ate pureed food because he didn't want anything to do with finger foods. at around a year he started eating puffs...then we moved to cereal and other finger type foods. He also started eating more of what we ate around 13 months. He now will eat pasta, bread of any kind., and some meat and sauces. oh and he loves yo baby yogurt.

He refused the bottle at 14 months...he just didn't want it to away it went. At that point he was still getting toddler formula but once he weaned the bottle I took it away also.

Now he will not eat much at all...maybe 3oz of a 4oz package of yogurt. a handful of dry cearal...for breakfast. then maybe some applesauce for lunch...but right now he doesn't want lunch...then some goldfish or more dry cereal around 3:30 when his cousin is here after school(we do his after school care right now since my brother is going through a messy divorce). Then he will have maybe 15 or so big bits of our dinner. Then after his shower we try to get him to eat a few Ounces of yogurt or pureed fruit that I make....sometimes he eats it other times he doesn't.
Also he does drink whole cows milk...about 16oz a day I would say and he has about 12oz of diluted juice a day. And everyonce in awhile he gets 4oz of breastmilk in his sippy.

How can I get him to eat more??? Or get more calaries?? He has lost half a pound....he is a big boy always has been but I am scared he is not getting what he needs. I try all the time to get him to eat.

a family member said I should try some pedisure...what do you think of that??
October 8th, 2009, 10:27 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i dont know... picky eaters is hard.. im dealing with it for my 1 year old right now.. some days are good and others arent..

ive been thinking about giving her coconut milk.. that is healthy and has a lot of good fat in it.. check it out

~Em

October 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
How would you feel about reintroducing a boob to him?
October 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
mommabirdof4
I would love for him to nurse but don't see him doing that since he only BF with a sheild for a short time.
October 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Try it!
October 8th, 2009, 08:10 PM
cln1812's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I still struggle with DD being a picky eater. Some days, she'll eat one good meal if I'm lucky. The others, maybe a handful of goldfish, a bite of orange, and a few sunflower seeds, and breastmilk (she won't drink cow's milk at all). It is a big reason why I am glad at least she is nursing!

Sorry I don't really have any advice for you. I swear, if everyone went on the toddler diet, no one in this country would be overweight!

My Ovulation Chart
October 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's tough when you worry about your child eating enough. Is your son more active right now? Is he possibly losing some weight because he is running around a lot? Do you think he could be getting enough calories from the diluted juice that he skips some food? Perhaps converting the juice to plain water might leave him hungrier for a little more food. Avocado contains good fats that may boost his calories. Cheese is a good option for boosting calories, and of course it has lots of calcium. Cooking some of his food in real butter may help. Have you thought about consulting a nutritionist? A one-hour consult could provide you with a lot of good nutritional options. Good luck!

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

October 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are you pumping then if he gets the BM here & there? You could try to do more pumping if he won't nurse (but I know that can be hard), but nursing really does have a ton of calories & nutrients for toddlers. The other thing is that you can quit the juice altogether if you don't need it to help him poop...and introduce more milk to up calories & fat. You can also pick up those pediasure milk shake drinks. Is he being harder with eating since the baby arrived? Could it be a ploy for attention? Some times food issues are control issues, even in little ones. I would keep food out all the time for him so that he has the option to grab a snack whenever he wants (this helps with my Ds). They ALL go through picky phases, so try not to get too concerned unless it looks like he is not improving.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
I'm popping in and out of boards tonight

Pediasure.....your story sounds JUST like what we went through with my oldest. We had him on formula til 15 months though. He's 4 now and doing better, so keep faith that it will get better.

Sam's eating habits aren't ideal, but we supplement with PediaSure every single day. He's lactose intolerant and gratefully, PediaSure is lactose-free.

He's at the right age for testing boundaries. He's not going to let himself starve, just keep offering healthy choices. (though at one point our pedi told us milkshakes and Oreos, but that was when Sam's weight was an issue....it's not anymore)

I'm not familiar with the AP thought on this (PLEASE forgive me AP moms, just thought I could offer some advice).....but have you given any thought to fixing separate meals for him? Although as I type that I remember you said he'd eat your dinners. There are weeks when Sam has a grilled cheese for lunch every single day. Tonight was the first night he had chicken nuggets for dinner in two weeks. He has four things he will eat: grilled cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets and toasted pbj sandwiches. I have to cycle through those for lunch and dinner.

October 13th, 2009, 06:33 AM
mommabirdof4
I don't think his issues have anything to do with JoJo...he has never been very good with solids...yesterday I got him to eat like a cup of chocloate teddy grahams...and then half a biscuit at dinner.

I will have to look into the pedisure...I think that if I can get his dr to write a script for it then WIC will pay for it since it is kind of expensive....we will see.
October 13th, 2009, 06:46 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
Do you have him on whole milk or still formula? Might consider a "Next Step" formula to make sure he gets the nutrients. Pediatrician can write a script for that for WIC too.

Pediasure is expensive, but watch the paper for coupons. A few weeks ago, they had a $3 off a 4-pack coupon. I stocked up.

Find what he will eat consistently and just offer that at every single meal. Seriously! Sam eats a grilled cheese for lunch almost every day. I hide ham or turkey in it so he gets a little more protein since he gets rice-based cheese, but it works.

Does he have a sensitive gag reflex in addition to a weak/underdeveloped stomach?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search