"Quit nursing and maybe she'll start eating better"

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2009, 05:48 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is what ive heard from a few different people recently.

The post about picky eaters made me think about this.

Eva isnt a great eater.. hasnt been from the very beginning.. And ive had people actually suggest to me that its becuz shes still BFing and getting full from that and to wean her so that she'll be more hungry for real food. Saying thats what they would do, etc..

the way i feel is since she IS a picky eater that isnt it great that shes still BFing and getting good calories and nutrients from it...

people also suggest scheduling her nursing .. I actually tried that for about a week and it didnt help her food intake at all so i gave it up cuz once again, id rather her be getting the breastmilk anyhow.

just thought id share since i was thinking about it..

~Em

October 9th, 2009, 06:20 AM
KimberlyD0
I think thats something that depends on the family and the child. If your comfortable with BM being her main sorce of food then thats ok. If your not, then you may need to look into other options. They are not exactly wrong, but they are not really right either kwim?

Are you happy? is she happy? is this something that needs to be "fixed"? if your answers are Yes yes and no then your fine.

I do know for my DD the more she BF the less she eats so for us we make sure she fills up on solids all day rather then BF all day. She's also in daycare since I work though so its not quiet as simple as, she wont eat so I'll BF her. There isn't really an option to fill her up on BM.

I know for I don't want her to be dependent on BM for her diatery needs. Its very importent to me that my girls eat a balenced meal (with or without BM) We're strick about food compaired to some. I only make one meal, they don't eat that they get nothing else (I mean nothing too, no crackers, no fruit, no PP&J sandwich, nothing) I am not afread to send my children to bed without dinner if they refuse to eat it.

I also make sure every meal has something I know they like (like brocoli, coliflower, asparigus, green beans, and chicken is common) so that if the wont eat some of the others I know there is something they will eat. If I know they don't like something (like tomato's) I wont make them eat them, I'll serve it so they have the choice, but as long as they've tried it I wont push that.

They way we do things is too stict for some, but I don't have the time, energy, or inclanation to make 4 different meals. I am the same with my picky husband.

Its worked great so far, my husband is the only picky one and even he is trying new foods, he just found out he does like asparigus after all lol

Just keep introdusing the foods often and give her the opertunity to eat and follow your gut.
October 9th, 2009, 06:30 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Some days Bella will eat her solid stuff and other days she doesn't. I do not push it just yet. I would just keep offering her stuff and when she is ready, she will eat.

October 9th, 2009, 06:53 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you tell them where to stuff it She isn't even a year old yet.

What does she eat? I would just keep offering her a wide range of foods. She may forget she didn't like something one week and the next week that is all she will eat. I seriously wouldn't stress over it at this point. You know BM is the best thing for her. If she is still nursing and not "eating" good stuff then at least you know her nutritional needs are being met and it would be even more important to keep nursing her if she is a picky eater ...IMO

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

October 9th, 2009, 07:00 AM
chemlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first thought when I read this was that your baby isn't even one yet - of course she still nurses a lot! As young as she is I wouldn't worry about how much she nurses - eventually the food thing will work out. YOu've got plenty of time to let her grow up, so why would you rush it by forcing her to wean early? Some people just don't get it at all...

Some of my co-workers are flabbergasted that I take the time to pump 3 times a day... it eats up a lot of my "break" time, but Audrey gets mommy milk at daycare too. When I tell them that I plan to do it until she's at least 1 they're shocked. And they tell me that I won't want to breastfeed the next one, because it won't be as fun. Apparently my next kid will be neglected completely - I won't want to snuggle or anything anymore. All I can think is "why have another one if I wouldn't love it just as much?"
October 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
she'll be 1 on the 18th ... and most of my friends that have babies around her age have either already weaned (around 10 months for 2 friends) or are already cutting back nursing sessions so she can be done nursing when he turns one.. which is fine for them..becuz all of them have babies that eat anything thats put in front of them... Eva wont.. Plus im fine with her nursing...

I dont know why shes not a good eater.. maybe it is becuz shes more full on breast milk .. but i dont really think so.. i think shes not a good eater becuz she doesnt want to sit still long enough to eat an entire meal.. She'll eat crackers or rolls all day becuz i can give those to her while she walks around the house.. but if its something she has to sit down for her interest in it doesnt last more than a few minutes.... and if i feed it to her (like yogurt or apple sauce) she loses interest even more quickly..

this makes me wonder why she is willing to sit and nurse so much? i guess its different.. shes being held and getting loved on while shes nursing..

i dont know.. all i know is she has her good days and her bad days.. and whatever happens at least shes getting breast milk for now...

~Em

PS i really am kinda glad im still BFing her also becuz of this flu season coming up.. Breast milk will probably help her stay healthy.. or make any sickness not as bad.. maybe

October 9th, 2009, 07:58 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eating better than nursing? Nursing is the BEST there is. People who say that clearly don't understand HOW good nursing is for her.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Yup that makes total sense, if she isnt eating much then lets take away from her the biggest source of nutrition.

I've read that up to a year eating is more about exploring and experiencing than actual nutrition. You are giving her the chance to eat solids and that should be enough. I'm sorry you're getting negativity about this.

I had my girl on a rough breastfeeding schedule at that age but for different reasons. I had read somewhere that BM digests better by itsself so I wanted to be sure that there was a gap of 30-60 minutes between those. Worked for us until she started asking for it all the time. She's 17 months now and I dont really bother with scheduling much at all. I have noticed that even if she has spent a long time on the boob in the morning that she'll still happily eat her breakfast once I have gotten both of us washed and dressed.

I think people tend to stress way too much over things that arent really a problem. It sounds like the current set up is working for the two of you. It is true that sometimes kiddos have eating probs but often it is something that is resolved on it's own. Also since you BF you know that she'll always get enough nutrition regardless of how much solids she eats.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
October 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Em... I still say tell them to stuff it

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

October 9th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I get teh SAME THING. Olive turned one in September....And she STILL uses BM as her main source of nutrition. She gets a rash from SO MANY FOODS on her hiney and seh really is just picky....She'll try a bite then turn up her nose at it sometimes...sometimes she wont...but either way she really just isn't IN to eating a TON of food...so I feed her at the same tiems I feed everyone else...and if she eats a lot fine and if she doesn't fine...I'll fill her up afterwards with milk.....After she turned one I switched to nursing after she'd eaten rather than before like I did when she was under one.

I had to quit complaining about pretty much everything that bothers me cause I dont parent the same way as most of the people around me and their suggestions only made me mad cause it was almost insulting...so I only chit chat with people that are like minded...not cause I dont want to hear the other side...well yeah..cause I dont want to hear it...I dont want to hear "well if you just let her cry"...and I dont want to hear "if you'd just breastfeed less"...and I dont want to hear "when are you going to wean her" etc.....so I just talk about OTHER things....LOL...

HUGS....You are doing great....PS..she looks like she's really in to that apple in your siggy...too cute!

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
October 9th, 2009, 07:32 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck12 View Post
Eating better than nursing? Nursing is the BEST there is. People who say that clearly don't understand HOW good nursing is for her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post
Yup that makes total sense, if she isnt eating much then lets take away from her the biggest source of nutrition.

I've read that up to a year eating is more about exploring and experiencing than actual nutrition. You are giving her the chance to eat solids and that should be enough. I'm sorry you're getting negativity about this.

I had my girl on a rough breastfeeding schedule at that age but for different reasons. I had read somewhere that BM digests better by itsself so I wanted to be sure that there was a gap of 30-60 minutes between those. Worked for us until she started asking for it all the time. She's 17 months now and I dont really bother with scheduling much at all. I have noticed that even if she has spent a long time on the boob in the morning that she'll still happily eat her breakfast once I have gotten both of us washed and dressed.

I think people tend to stress way too much over things that arent really a problem. It sounds like the current set up is working for the two of you. It is true that sometimes kiddos have eating probs but often it is something that is resolved on it's own. Also since you BF you know that she'll always get enough nutrition regardless of how much solids she eats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bobbie* View Post
Em... I still say tell them to stuff it

I agree with all of ^those posts!

I was so stressed about dd not eating. The most unforunate thing is that the medical community and even the nutritionist don't educate themselves with information about breastmilk. It is the best thing for toddlers!
October 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I cannot tell you how many toddlers I know who were not breastfed and who seem to live only on cow's milk. IMO it's a totally normal stage for some (more than you'd think) toddlers to want to drink a lot of milk their second year. We live in a formula fed society and people just do not know or understand what is "normal" with a breastfed toddler... per kellymom:

Quote:
Some toddlers are eating very few solids, or even no solids, at 12 months. This is not unusual and really depends on your child - there is quite a big variation. We like to see breastmilk making up the majority (around 75%) of baby's diet at 12 months. Some babies will be taking more solids by 12 months, but others will still be exclusively or almost-exclusively breastfed at this point. It is normal for baby to keep breastmilk as the primary part of his diet up until 18 months or even longer. An example of a nice gradual increase in solids would be 25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months.
kellymom.com :: Nutrition for Nursing Toddlers

I was shocked when I read that because in a world where babies are bottle-fed and the bottle does bad things to their teeth, you really need to get them weaned from the bottle asap, preferably by 12 months or so, but MANY children are not ready to be on a mostly solid diet by this point in their lives... so what you get are toddlers that drink sippie cup after sippie cup of cow's milk a day. Which is better than not eating anything at all but not as good as breastmilk.

My little guy is not a "good eater". He's not a "good sleeper" either. In fact, according to the mainstream world he is just plain not a "good" baby. The mainstream world SUCKS and is so out of touch with what makes a happy, secure, confident, productive individual that we have an epidemic of obesity, an epidemic of depression and we are, as a society, more detached and distant from our neighbors than ever before. If that's what it takes to make a "good" child, well, I'd rather be bad.

October 10th, 2009, 11:33 AM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
What a great post Lisa!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search