What would you do?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone! I've lurked here quite a bit but I don't think I have ever posted. I'm having an issue with DD and I just don't know how to deal with it. She turned 1 on Sept 19th, and she didn't start sleeping through the night until she was 11.5 months old. That went on for about a month or so, and now she's back to waking numerous times a night, and absolutely refuses to go back to sleep without a bottle. It's getting really ridiculous because there really can't be any way she's THAT hungry. Breast feeding didn't work out for us, so I exclusively pumped for her and I always fed her...always always, even to this day I hold the bottle and snuggle with her while she eats...it's the closest I could come to actual breast feeding. She finds this very comforting (obviously!), but now she's wanting 2 bottles a night, plus one before bed and one mid afternoon before her nap. She eats plenty of solids so I don't think it's because of hunger at all. Last night she went to bed at 7:30pm, then was up at 10:45 and would NOT go back to sleep (we tried everything we could think of), finally I gave in and gave her a bottle at 12:45 because we were SO tired, and she was out like a light. Then, she woke up at 5:30am, another bottle, and back to sleep until almost 9am. It would be different if it was just the night waking, but the fact that she absolutely will NOT go back to sleep without that bottle (her eyes can be closing because she's so tired, but then she'll wake herself up by crying or sitting up or whatever) is an issue. I don't know what to do. She's off breast milk now and on Lactaid. She's almost 13 months, I'd really like to be able to get her to sleep, or at least not need a bottle every time she wakes up in the night. We are going to start TTC #2 in January, I can't even fathom the idea of a newborn with a toddler who sleeps like a newborn! Any suggestions?????

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I would keep giving the bottle or maybe try a bit of water instead. Some babies are just hungry and need the bottle at night. It could be a growth spurt as well.

I hope you do get some more sleep soon though!

October 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ah....from how you describe it the poor love must indeed be hungry. I find nothing wrong with that. Well actually i wake up hungry sometimes and i go to the fridge to grab a banana or a small yogurt or something and it could be 3 am.....and i am not overweight i am 140 pounds 5,6 .....well.....i see nothing wrong in her wanting some milk if i (at age 35) need something to eat at night sometimes.....as the previous poster suggested you could try water....but i am not a firm believer in baby diet in any form. If she needs it give it to her for as long as she needs it. Stephanie is sometimes waking up once at night asking for a bottle.....sometimes not at all.....other times when she hasn't eaten well she might ask twice.....(very rare).....but she asks....and as i said to you so i say to me if i can't expect me to stay without food from 7:00 at night to 7:00 in the morning (that's 12 hours).....and i can't do that unless i am on a crush diet neither can i expect my baby to do it....i rather doubt you stay without food or water 12 hours straight either....well maybe i am wrong but i think you understand.....so if she needs food to sleep then food it is.....simple as that.

" \m/ Now Im riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Ill cross the line forevermore \m/ "

October 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
My DD is almost 11 months and still gets up several times a night to nurse. I am reading "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for help b/c she gets up so often and it is helping a lot. We have cut our night wakings down from 6-8 times to 3. She now nurses at 12ish, 3ish and 6ish before getting up for the day around 9. I am hoping to cut out our midnight feeding next. I think right now, she is waking up so often mostly out of habit. Can you try water instead of milk? It might make her mad the first couple days but she should either take the water b/c she is thirsty or stop waking.

I do agree with PP that said that she might be hungry. I eat pretty often too so maybe just try to stop one of the feedings for now.

Good luck!

October 12th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess it is possible that she's hungry, she just eats so much during the day I didn't think she'd be hungry through the night. I'll definitely keep giving her bottle, I would feel HORRIBLE if she was hungry and I was refusing her food. We did try water last night, she drank a bunch but still would not go to sleep. It is possible it's a growth spurt, she also tends to do this when she's teething so maybe she might be starting to teeth....not sure. I'm just sooooooo tired! I'm honestly scared to start to TTC when she's still not sleeping through the night....how do you do it with with a toddler and a newborn, neither of who will sleep at night????

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 12th, 2009, 01:54 PM
MilkyJo's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
how do you do it with with a toddler and a newborn, neither of who will sleep at night????
No idea! Personally, I've scrapped my plans for a two year sibling gap and am following in my mum's footsteps... no TTC#2 until #1 is STTN! My poor mum waited 3.5 years for me to STTN...

Sorry I've no advice regarding the bottle. I agree with you and think she probably is comforting herself back to sleep rather than being hungry, especially if you think she's eating well during the day. DS does this too still, and is a similar age. I am fortunate in that he's still breastfeeding though so at least I don't have to get up to go and fetch him a bottle several times a night (that must be awful).

There is a technique described in Elizabeth's Pantley's No Cry SLeep SOlution for gently weaning off a baby from nursing to sleep that should also apply to bottle-fed babies. This might be worth a try if you can get hold of the book.
October 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
jacquelinejoy's Avatar Super Mommy
I have no advice just comfort. My 14 month old still wakes twice at night to eat also and like you have tried to get him back to sleep witnout the bottle but it's def. what he wants so i just give in. It's not like he's going to be 5 years old and still taking a bottle at night. The only thing you have to worry about is the milk sitting on their teeth. Just keep them clean and you should be fine. I have been offering him watered down bottles for awhile now and he still drinks every ounch. Good luck. You will sleep without wakings soon.

October 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also do not think there is anything wrong with giving her a bottle as she is needing it for comfort. My 3yr old daughter did the same thing and it doesnt hurt a fly to let her have the bottle. The sleeping thing will change constantly.....constantly. My 3yr old just this past week started waking up a couple times a night for no reason again. It just happens. I can't say it will get better, only hang in there!
October 12th, 2009, 07:26 PM
MommaNator's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When my DD was around 1 year old, she still had one bottle in the middle of the night. When she was around 13 months or so, we tried switching it to a few ounces of water, in a bottle, and she would drink some but not as much. Then we began offering her water in a straw sippy cup when she woke at night, and lo and behold, she would drink just a little and go back to sleep! I can't say for sure that she stopped waking for the bottle because she realized she would just get water in a straw sippy, but she did start going back to sleep much faster instead of refusing until she got a bottle. (Of course we still have many up all night nights, but it's not every night waiting for a bottle.) You could try this; you'll know if it satisfies her or if she's actually hungry.

ETA: I think it helped that the mechanism of drinking from a straw did not feel like drinking from a bottle.

Thanks Julie_aka_Mommy!

October 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
October 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
HurricaneLady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To drop a feeding at night with Parker (he was waking up 3x) I offered a sippy cup of water - NO milk....it took a little over a week for him not to wake up at that time. During that transition we would just offer the water which he would be mad about and slap it away and then we would rub/pat his back and cuddle him until he fell backl asleep - it was exuasting BUT a few weeks later he cut wake-up #2 on his own and is now down to only 1 wake-up a night!!!

Parker Hudson 11/1/08 8.14, 22.5" Frank Breech Csection/Kennedy Eve 11/18/10 9lb, 21" Natural VBAC
October 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That age is kind of tough I think because there is so much going on and they change their sleeping patterns a lot. After 1 we decided to try giving DD water at night when she woke up first and if she really seemed hungry then we fed her. Eventually she was okay with just water and started sleeping better after 13-14 months old.
I think they do everything when they're ready. My DD slept great from 14 months till 21 months or so, but then started waking up in the middle of the night, so we moved her to our room to be there for her. Now she doesn't want to eat or doesn't usually even want water at night, but she wants to know we are there for her.

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
October 15th, 2009, 07:11 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a trial & eroor thing. MY Ds didn't stop waking me at night to nurse until about 20-24 months...20 mos we started having some nights that he didn't wake & by 24 mos it was unusual he would wake. (((Hugs))) they all do get there eventually & yours will too...it's just hard until that happens I know.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search