Babywearing in the winter?

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello everyone!

Winter is rapidly approaching in the Northeast and my days of being able to pop Lacey into my Moby while running errands are limited.

Is there a better wrap for winter time that will accommodate winter weather gear? I particularly like babywearing when we are in and out of the car.

TIA!

October 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I have seen people who just put the wrap over their winter clothes and have their LOs dressed accordingly. Personally I have an oversized fleece coat that I like to put around both of us. I put her in winter overall and myself into a thick turtleneck sweater (with some layering underneath depending on the weather) and then can zip the coat over both of us. It is very cuddly and plenty warm... but not very sightly if you are picky about looks. There are also some custom made coats that fulfill the same purpose but those usually cost a fortune.

I think that the moby is pretty OK for winter conditions, that is what we used last fall/winter. I switched it for a mei tai when we started butting heads too much. I found it bit of a pain to put her in it if she was wearing anything fluffy, couldnt get it tight enough that way.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
October 15th, 2009, 11:24 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
^ Ditto! Keep your maternity coat to help you have the room to just throw it over.

Oh... and a big to you!
October 16th, 2009, 09:31 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I plan on using my BabyHawk MeiTei this winter (I LOVE it). I have used it at the pumpkin farms so far. Once we hit the really cold weather here I am wondering how baby wearing will fit in also.

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

October 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
HurricaneLady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would just bundle the LO and then wrap them - my Ergo and Babyhawk are great for this bc there are not as may layers.

The nice thing about babywearing too is if its really cold or windy you can take a blanket and kinda tuck it in to the carrier or even clip on a blanket over you and the baby Its a little more comfortable and adjustable then alot of extra layers.

Parker Hudson 11/1/08 8.14, 22.5" Frank Breech Csection/Kennedy Eve 11/18/10 9lb, 21" Natural VBAC
October 16th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use mei tai all the way although lately she is starting to wean out of that one also.........my baby is not a baby anymore.....but mei tai always worked for us very well.....i either put a large coat over both of us, or i simply put her in her own coat now and hat and we are off. She is a very feisty/gesturing baby/toddler and i find that if i limit her moves in any way she gets freaked out so i try to give her freedom of movement, that means that i place her on her own coat and hat most of the times instead of wrapping her with something of mine on the outside...try many things and see what works for you.

" \m/ Now I’m riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I’ll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

Last edited by Ellemphriem; October 16th, 2009 at 07:54 PM.
October 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
yep to the above....today olive was in my ring sling and i just zipped my coat over us both....she kepy me warmer than idhave been w/out her lol

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
October 17th, 2009, 01:43 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Besides a maternity coat - I have a cute pattern for sewing or knitting a panel that attaches to button up coats...it's too cute (although I never made one LOL) - anyway - it's an additional panel that buttons into the holes on one side (you have to add buttons) and has button holes on the other - so it kind of expands your coat around them.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
I use a baby ktan and we both dress for the weather outside and I put a jacket that will cover us both. Coming up on our second winter doing it

October 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by (.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.) View Post
^ Ditto! Keep your maternity coat to help you have the room to just throw it over.

Oh... and a big to you!
maternity coats/sweaters work great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck12 View Post
Besides a maternity coat - I have a cute pattern for sewing or knitting a panel that attaches to button up coats...it's too cute (although I never made one LOL) - anyway - it's an additional panel that buttons into the holes on one side (you have to add buttons) and has button holes on the other - so it kind of expands your coat around them.
That sounds really interesting! Where did you find the pattern?

October 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe

October 17th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Us last December:

That's with the moby, we have started doing it with the mei tai now although it hasnt been cold enough to need to zip it up that much.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
October 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthDoulaToBe View Post
That sounds really interesting! Where did you find the pattern?
I found it online, Iwill try to see if I can find it.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 17th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just bundle her up........like this!!!

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
October 17th, 2009, 04:34 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Seriously Erin80?!?! Could you had a happier babe! LOL! She is adorable in that pic.

All these pics are awesome ladies!
!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search