Sick baby :(

Forum: Attachment Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Attachment Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Matthew is pretty sick. I wish he was old enough to blow his nose. I feel sooo bad for the little guy.

I am LOVING the extra cuddles from him though He also has never been one to nurse for comfort and has fallen asleep nursing a dozen times the past two days. I am just soooo thankful he hasn't gone on a nursing strike again. Last time he was sick he was on strike for a week.

He is congested and his nose is running. He is sneezing a lot.

We are using the vaporizer but haven't noticed a difference in how he feels. Is there anything else that might help him get over this cold?

He is also cutting his top two teeth in the middle of this.

Last night I was kicking myself for not buying a rocker/glider. He would only sleep ON me if I was rocking him. Around 4am he nursed and fell into a deep sleep and slept until 8am. Of course then I couldn't sleep because I was so worried about him. <sigh>

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

October 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
I'm so sorry to hear he is sick. It's so hard on you because it's so hard to watch them suffer. ((big hugs to you mama)) I sure hope he beats this right away.

My LLL leader told me that if I up my own vitamin C intake, it passes through the breastmilk at an elevated but non-toxic level to the baby. I would start there for sure.

In times where they fall asleep like that but you can't, I read! LOL!

Good luck Bobbie ~ keep us updated!
October 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to suggest increasing your Vit C /Vit D3 (NOT vit D)/ and a little garlic for the cold. I hope he feels better soon!
October 18th, 2009, 12:44 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only other thing I can suggest that hasn't been mentioned is Eucalyptus oil in the vaporizer helps with congestion & is safe for babies (VICKS is not - because it is camphor & in babies that seems to worsen congestion) and saline up the nose with a nasal aspirator several times a day & definitely right before bed. ONLY one squirt though & get the kind for babies, too much saline isn't dangerous but can cause tummy upset and/or a soar throat. I think unfortunately that despite what Dr's say - that teething can weaken teh immune system & make catching cold a LOT more likely. You can also try Hylands homeopathic teething tablets of course.

Hope he feels better soon & you can rest easier.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

October 18th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh poor love....i wish him quick recovery. I have no idea what you do when they get sick....if you don't count the vaccine reaction we have never gotten sick yet....but i suppose doing to him what you would do to you might help. Warm dressings (to sweat and lower possible fever), tylenol for pain in body but not frequently, petid apple juice maybe with chamomile in them....good on all accounts, and about the nose i'd suggest saline water with these small aspirators they come in? It will clear up. I have tried it myself to see how it feels like, it's not super but its fine. He might cry but it will help him out. Also PED told me that if congestion is too much to go to the bathroom and open the hot water and let it fill the air with vapor and keep her in there for at least 15 minutes each time. Haven't had the chance - thankfully to try it out but sounds good.

All the best to him

" \m/ Now Im riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Ill cross the line forevermore \m/ "

Last edited by Ellemphriem; October 18th, 2009 at 12:59 AM.
October 18th, 2009, 09:14 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all the suggestions. I had no idea about the vitamins... now I am kicking myself for not posting sooner I will take some as soon as I am done posting. I have to be kinda careful though cause we are TTC and I am 4dpo (and praying hard! LOL)

We do use saline drops and the nose sucker.... which he now HATES along with tissue.... I told Dave we should give him a box of tissue to play with so he doesn't think it's evil after this.

Last night was as rough as the two nights before. He just cried most of the night. Luckily Dave takes him out to the main part of the house around 7am and lets me sleep till I feel like getting up. He also took over an hour of the night shift and walked him around till he calmed down enough to sleep. Matthew cries MaMa though and means MaMa...not DaDa. It's hard for Dave knowing he is crying for me. He said to me last night "that has to feel good to know he wants you" I feel bad for him. I wish Matthew would say DaDa soon. Dave will be over the moon when that happens.

Anyways... thanks again for the suggestions....and the hugs We are going to get some fresh air today...maybe that will help also. For our sanity if nothing else!

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

October 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Thank you for the update..

I know it's a bit off topic but dh struggles with dd wanting me over him to this day. I just wanted to give your dh some reassurance he isn't alone. Dh felt pretty alone until he talked to a few of the dads that came to dd's first birthday. All of them were disappointed the weren't as bonded with their LO's like they are with the moms. Dh said he wished he read more about it. He said that jealously isn't the right term but it does hurt.

((big hugs to you all for many reasons))
October 20th, 2009, 05:28 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
How is your little guy feeling today? I hope he is getting better!

Have you tried the vapor tabs you put in your shower? They are called shower soothers, I think. I use those and just sit in the bathroom and run hot water over them in the sink. They help me out a lot, maybe it will help him too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search